The Student Room Group

A-levels for law?

I know there are already a gazillion amount of threads based on this question but I REALLY need some help. So far I am planning to do economics, maths, physics or chemistry and R.E/philosophy and ethics. Do these a-levels sound okay? I was also thinking of substituting R.E for history or classical civilisation but I don't really know what classical civilisation would be like....
But basically what a-levels are preferred for law at uni?:s-smilie::colondollar:
I can't echo enough how important History would be in your application for a Law course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ribbon123
I know there are already a gazillion amount of threads based on this question but I REALLY need some help. So far I am planning to do economics, maths, physics or chemistry and R.E/philosophy and ethics. Do these a-levels sound okay? I was also thinking of substituting R.E for history or classical civilisation but I don't really know what classical civilisation would be like....
But basically what a-levels are preferred for law at uni?:s-smilie::colondollar:

you can choose any of those and you'll be alright.

pick the ones you will do best at

I definitely would do economics, maths and history.
For your 4th subject i would do something like english literature.

I definitely wouldnt do law. Some unis dont like law at a-level if you are applying to do it at degree level. Business studies is a bit of a no no as well as it can be seen a bit soft.
Reply 4

I would echo what other posters have said about history, however, R.E/Philo are essay subjects as well so I wouldn't imagine the difference would be too great. I would advise you look in more detail at the history course your school offers, especially the periods you'll study, and then seeing if you'd be interested in them before deciding. I would also do the same with classical civ.

Your other subjects are fine and all 'facilitating' and so will be well-regarded for law.

Ultimately, the bottom line is that law is competitive and therefore you need to maximise your grades and therefore for your 4th option I would always go with what you enjoy, as an A in R.E would be much better than a B in history, for example.

Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 5
I don't think that your subjects are very good actually. If there are subjects you should do I think it is: English; History; Economics etc. Subjects which focus on essay writing and not just logical thought.
Definatly go for the maths and sciences but make your third or fourth a humanity subject, English literature would be the ideal pick 100%. History would be good too but its not important. People think that to do law science subjects are not ideal but if you can get a good grade in them you are the best of the best, university's will look at people with those difficult science and math subjects as the brightest . The subjects that will make you a top aplicant for law is someone with diversity so a math a science and a humanity subject combo would be ideal. Out of the subjects you mentioned I'd pick maths chemistry and history ( although I really really suggest you pick english) . Some person replyed saying pick history English economics..no no no, only pick one of history and English if you can help it..those combinations are so limited.

Finally pick what your good at, if your not good at any humanity subject but are great at science and math maybe a STEM degree is the path for you instead of law. Conversely if your not good at science or maths don't feel like you absoluty have to pick them. For law the main thing is diversity.
Reply 7
I would agree that you should substitute history for RE.

A friend of mine is well-set on reading law at Uni, and she's taking History, English Literature, Spanish and Psychology. History and English Lit are ideal subjects for law, and many law students take those two subjects. Her subjects are all essay-based, which is good for law, but very limiting and if she decides she doesn't want to go for a law degree anymore, her options would be quite limited.

I'd recommend taking History and English Literature at the very least.

Subjects I wouldn't recommend are Law, General Studies and Critical Thinking as a lot of Unis discourage those subjects for Law. :smile:
Reply 8
Your choices are fine. Basically you need subjects that you will do well in, and which are academic. All your choices are that. Logical thought and good writing skills are both important skills for law and all your choices help you to hone these - you don't need to do ONLY subjects which require you to write essays (after all, as a practising lawyer you never write essays but you use logical thought all the time).

Quick Reply

Latest