The Student Room Group

Giving up chocolate - has anyone ever done it?

Scroll to see replies

I gave chocolate up for eight weeks because it was making my eczema go crazy and now I feel sick eating as much chocolate as I used to (it's been 2 years since that phase) and I never really crave it. It was really hard going cold turkey though and 3 weeks in I legit had a breakdown and started crying (lol ridiculous I know)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yolo_kevin
I gave chocolate up for eight weeks because it was making my eczema go crazy and now I feel sick eating as much chocolate as I used to (it's been 2 years since that phase) and I never really crave it. It was really hard going cold turkey though and 3 weeks in I legit had a breakdown and started crying (lol ridiculous I know)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think cold turkey may be the only way but I'm hoping after an extended period of time, like you, that I won't be that bothered. It honestly won't surprise me if I had a breakdown too haha but I'd just have to tell myself to not get anything chocolatey and to just deal with it :colondollar:
Original post by lauramercier
I think cold turkey may be the only way but I'm hoping after an extended period of time, like you, that I won't be that bothered. It honestly won't surprise me if I had a breakdown too haha but I'd just have to tell myself to not get anything chocolatey and to just deal with it :colondollar:

And even worse I couldn't even comfort myself with chocolate afterwards! Lol if you have a breakdown you can always to to me. You could try setting targets so like 1 week with no chocolate and then gradually increase them. It's easier if you just don't have any in the house too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've given up chocolate before and succeeded for 7 months so I've decided to do it again this year. However I can't start on new years as I was given a load of chocolate for Xmas and I need to eat it.

I'd try cold turkey - that's how I did it last time and find something else healthy and sweet to eat when you get chocolate cravings like a few grapes or something raisins or something to help. After a few weeks it will get easier. Good luck!
Original post by Loz17
I've given up chocolate before and succeeded for 7 months so I've decided to do it again this year. However I can't start on new years as I was given a load of chocolate for Xmas and I need to eat it.

I'd try cold turkey - that's how I did it last time and find something else healthy and sweet to eat when you get chocolate cravings like a few grapes or something raisins or something to help. After a few weeks it will get easier. Good luck!

Ah wow that's amazing. Was it bad to control yourself after the 7 months? I imagine myself doing crazy in Cadbury Factory Shop or something :colondollar: Yeah, there definitely seems to be a trend with the first few weeks being the toughest, so that's what I'm least looking forward to! As long as it isn't about or around me, I should be ok!
Original post by bertstare
What's gonna happen -

You'll cut out chocolate and stick to it for a brief period when your motivation level is high

As your motivation dwindles one day you'll start having massive chocolate binges, far worse than the amount you eat now

Don't say I didn't tell you so

That's not a certainty at all. It's not as if it's impossible to do something like this.

I could understand if the goal was unhealthy but I don't get otherwise why people are so negative when it comes to others wishing to exercise some discipline.
Original post by Nomes89
That's not a certainty at all. It's not as if it's impossible to do something like this.

I could understand if the goal was unhealthy but I don't get otherwise why people are so negative when it comes to others wishing to exercise some discipline.

I agree, thank you :biggrin:
I agree, thank you :biggrin:

I've done it before so now I tend to eat chocolate on a weekly/bi weekly basis as opposed to everyday.
Original post by Nomes89
I've done it before so now I tend to eat chocolate on a weekly/bi weekly basis as opposed to everyday.

I'm hoping this is what will happen eventually if I don't go back to it all together
I gave it up in 2011 starting in January and finishing in May, and yes, you do sort of forget about it and stop wanting it as much.

I eat it now, but in moderation, as I don't need to lose any more weight. I managed to lose enough and eat chocolate at the same time, but it was a good boost to my initial loss at the beginning of the process.
Reply 50
I'm trying to make each tub last a week and be done with my chocs within about 3 weeks…until then I'm going to enjoy them, after I'll go back to fighting cravings and saving desserts for the odd day in a week or special occasions :smile:
Well, as an update, the last time I ate chocolate was Saturday evening, so to say how much I have around me, I'd like to say I'm doing quite well.......
Ah wow that's amazing. Was it bad to control yourself after the 7 months? I imagine myself doing crazy in Cadbury Factory Shop or something :colondollar: Yeah, there definitely seems to be a trend with the first few weeks being the toughest, so that's what I'm least looking forward to! As long as it isn't about or around me, I should be ok!

I can't really remember to be honest! All I can remember is how sweet that first taste was after the 7 months. It wasn't nice at all. You'll be fine if you've got the willpower. Good luck!
I gave it up for Lent this year (for those unaware, about six and a half weeks before Easter).
My friend did it for a whole year for a bet, and she loved chocolate before. She was very stubborn and just didn't want to lose.

I'm doing it until the end of April after my Tough Mudder. I don't see the point for a whole year, but hopefully it'll stop my chocolate binges.
Reply 55
I gave up chocolate, crisps, biscuits, fizzy drinks and most desserts all at once. Used to eat a hell of a lot of them, it's dead easy as long as you replace them with healthy alternatives. For example I always had 3 or 4 biscuits when I came home from school and was going running, now I have a yoghurt and an oat bar instead. Bad food is addictive but it's not Heroin, within a few weeks you'll forget all about it.
Reply 56
How's it going?
I used to crave it before.
But then after going cold turkey for 2-3 weeks or so, didn't crave it at all, even when I saw chocolate didn't want to eat it at all.
Reply 57
It can't be done. It's impossible.

Evidence: Experience :cookie:
I'm really trying to restrict my sugar intake this year as I usually eat far too much. Not going too well as I'm highly tempted by the marshmallows I bought the other day. I've stopped drinking fizzy drinks and once the marshmallows are gone that's it, going cold turkey. Wish me luck guys!
Reply 59
i always give up chocolate at this time of year! if i find myself drooling over a choccie bar i just imagine what nasty pseudo-ingredients go into the chocolate. it really puts me off - gross! i have a nice cold piece of fruit from the fridge instead, yum :smile:

Dairy Milk:
Milk, Sugar, Cocoa butter, Cocoa mass, Vegetable fat, Emulsifiers (E442, E476), Flavourings

Curly Wurly:
Caramel (69%) (Glucose syrup, Sweetend condensed skimmed milk, Sugar, Vegetable oil, Emulsifiers (E471, Soya lecithin), Salt, Flavourings, Milk chocolate (Sugar, Dried whole milk, Cocoa butter, Cocoa mass, Dried whey, Vegetable fat, Emulsifiers (E442, E476), Flavourings).

Quick Reply

Latest