The Student Room Group

Taking a break after contract ends

I've graduated from university and have been working as a temp at a bank. My contract at work finishes at the end of January. I was thinking of taking a month long break after it ends.

I've realised that trying to apply for jobs while working full-time is actually quite difficult. I feel so drained when I get home and I don't have time to research and complete applications. So I feel this break would give me a chance to focus while also give my body a chance to rest.

Do you think it's a good idea, a month wouldn't hurt my CV would it? What do you think?
As long as you can provide an explanation for the month long break,then you should be fine with that.
You might also want to consider doing a bit of voluntary work during that time as well.
Original post by Luxray
I've graduated from university and have been working as a temp at a bank. My contract at work finishes at the end of January. I was thinking of taking a month long break after it ends.

I've realised that trying to apply for jobs while working full-time is actually quite difficult. I feel so drained when I get home and I don't have time to research and complete applications. So I feel this break would give me a chance to focus while also give my body a chance to rest.

Do you think it's a good idea, a month wouldn't hurt my CV would it? What do you think?

Think about it, it won't be a month will it?

See advert 1 Jan - closing date will not be earlier than 14 Jan, more like 21 Jan

21 Jan company filters and sends out letters for interview - one week minimum, plus one week's notice -

7 Feb Interview week - if single round of interviews, this is the earliest you will get an offer

Employers presume new appointments will be employed, and so plan for a minimum of 1 month notice to serve, more normally (for professional roles) 3 months, so they won't be expecting someone to start until mid March at the earliest, more likely 1 April or even 1 May

If you are looking for anything more than an entry level retail type job, then you need to plan for a 3 month process minimum, even if you get the first job you apply for. You need to be applying for professional jobs now if you want to start them at around Easter time.

If you can't cope with writing job applications while working, then don't plan on a career as such! Employers prefer to employ people who are already in jobs, and plan their recruitment cycle to do that, presuming up to 3 months notice will need to be served. You may well be harming your CV by taking a month's break, because it will inevitably turn into 3-4 months.
Reply 3
Its fine dude. After my first intern job ended from Nov 2011-Jun2012 I took a month+ off to relax and find another job which I got and started in Sept. That break was awesome and I never got questioned what I was doing in between. After that job was done (6 month maternity cover) I got the job im on now which is permanent from April 2013. That was about just less than a month after I completed my previous job and again I got no questions about my gap.

Honestly I think if its not more than 2-3 months youll be fine. Have fun and relax during your time after your contract has ended. Employers know its difficult in securing a permanent job and realise there will be gaps in employment for people who are bouncing from one contract to another.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending