The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
allymcb2
Read the thread you lazy git.

I created the thread deary, and I'll stand by the fact it has nothing to do with gender.
tehjonny
If I saw a bunch of chavs kicking ****e out of someone in the street tomorrow, would I help in the knowledge it would be me, not the chavs to get in trouble. A judge recently charged a man who helped someone getting assaulted telling him 'next time, walk past'. I'll try and find the source for that today.

Did you ever find that source?
Reply 82
black_mamba
Did you ever find that source?

No, I think I read it in the times or the telegraph. Searching there websites doesn't seem to be showing anything though. It was a couple of months back now I think.

Synopsis: Three 'chavs' attacked some bloke in the street, other guy rushs over to help, and then he himself gets convicted for assault after the three original attackers press charges. Judge tells him 'next time, walk past'.

Its frustrating though, just can't find it!
tehjonny
Synopsis: Three 'chavs' attacked some bloke in the street, other guy rushs over to help, and then he himself gets convicted for assault after the three original attackers press charges. Judge tells him 'next time, walk past'.

If its true, its incredibly depressing to hear that a judge suggested not helping someone. :frown:

[I've been in a situation like that and I would've loved some help. Luckily I got away but still...horrible]
Reply 84
Wez, the vicar behaved differently to a girl than he would to a boy, thus the gender issue.
Reply 85
allymcb2
Wez, the vicar behaved differently to a girl than he would to a boy, thus the gender issue.

Because they are of (GASP! HORROR!), different genders...and the genders get treated differently.
Reply 86
tehjonny
Because they are of (GASP! HORROR!), different genders...and the genders get treated differently.

In this case it was sexist and inappropriate.
Reply 87
allymcb2
In this case it was sexist and inappropriate.

Right. So, next time I'm in the pub, and its my round, I'll get all the girls pints of stella and all the blokes malibu and cokes. Otherwise it would be sexist...

Next time I see a women with children I'll say 'No, no, you must go get a career, your being oppressed by the vile patriarchal society we live in! Burn your bra repressed and victimised female!'

It is appropriate to kiss a girls cheek. It is appropriate to shake a guys hand. These are the standard and widely accepted greetings as defined by gender. Most people do this, the only person with a problem is you. Genders do get treated differently, because (as has been pointed out to you) they are different!
Reply 88
tehjonny
Right. So, next time I'm in the pub, and its my round, I'll get all the girls pints of stella and all the blokes malibu and cokes. Otherwise it would be sexist...

Next time I see a women with children I'll say 'No, no, you must go get a career, your being oppressed by the vile patriarchal society we live in! Burn your bra repressed and victimised female!'

It is appropriate to kiss a girls cheek. It is appropriate to shake a guys hand. These are the standard and widely accepted greetings as defined by gender. Most people do this, the only person with a problem is you. Genders do get treated differently, because (as has been pointed out to you) they are different!

Maybe you could just ask people what they want to drink. I know girls who drink stella and boys who drink malibu and coke. I also know people of both genders who drink martinis, wine, tequila, etc.

Or you could just say nothing like a normal person....kind of just like if you see a guy with children.

If I was the only one who thought it a problem, this thread would never have been started. As I have already pointed out to you.
Reply 89
allymcb2
Maybe you could just ask people what they want to drink. I know girls who drink stella and boys who drink malibu and coke. I also know people of both genders who drink martinis, wine, tequila, etc.

Or you could just say nothing like a normal person....kind of just like if you see a guy with children.

If I was the only one who thought it a problem, this thread would never have been started. As I have already pointed out to you.

We'll agree to disagree. I'll live in my world were touching a women is ok, and you can live in yours were being kissed on the cheek is grounds for instutionalising yourself because of 'mental trauma' or some such *******s.

I was attempting to illustrate how reactionary you seem. Do you really wish to live in a world were you have to watch your every action, think about the connotations of your every sentence, lest you be prosecuted by some whiny person who always thinks they are the 'victim'.
Reply 90
tehjonny

I was attempting to illustrate how reactionary you seem. Do you really wish to live in a world were you have to watch your every action, think about the connotations of your every sentence, lest you be prosecuted by some whiny person who always thinks they are the 'victim'.

1. I don´t think being careful about someone´s personal space when you are in an official position is too much to ask. If drunk students at a party can be aware of cultural differences between the british and continentals, surely a british vicar can be aware of the boundaries of the general public.

2. I would find that option considerably more amenable than returning to the partrarchal pre-feminist society.
Reply 91
allymcb2
1. I don´t think being careful about someone´s personal space when you are in an official position is too much to ask. If drunk students at a party can be aware of cultural differences between the british and continentals, surely a british vicar can be aware of the boundaries of the general public.

2. I would find that option considerably more amenable than returning to the partrarchal pre-feminist society.

1. Do you really think a 10yr old girl has any concept of personal space? Again, when you are on the bus etc, do you insist on having the seat next to you free so as to have your 'personal space?' What about the seats in front and back? In the pub do you insist on having your own table with at least 10 metres of person free space?

2. Ohhh, so a society in which offending some over-sensitive person is grounds for court proceedings is ok? Sounds great. I'll just go get my 'doubleplusthinkgood' badge. These are not the boundaries of the general public, they are the boundaries of a reactionary few who silence the majority with ever louder bleeting. Living in a reasonable society does not entail returning to the 19th century. Living in a society in which people have a bit of backbone is not patriachal in the slightest, its commendable.
Reply 92
tehjonny
1. Do you really think a 10yr old girl has any concept of personal space? Again, when you are on the bus etc, do you insist on having the seat next to you free so as to have your 'personal space?' What about the seats in front and back? In the pub do you insist on having your own table with at least 10 metres of person free space?

2. Ohhh, so a society in which offending some over-sensitive person is grounds for court proceedings is ok? Sounds great. I'll just go get my 'doubleplusthinkgood' badge. These are not the boundaries of the general public, they are the boundaries of a reactionary few who silence the majority with ever louder bleeting. Living in a reasonable society does not entail returning to the 19th century. Living in a society in which people have a bit of backbone is not patriachal in the slightest, its commendable.

At 10 years old, I had a strong concept of personal space, so did my sister, and I think if you read a psychology book you will find personal space has developed in if not most, many children by age 10. If not, then it is all the more important not to teach a child that kissing someone who is not a) your boyfriend or b) a family or close friend is not normal for adults.

You will also find in any general-interest book on body language that people´s personal space changes according to the situation ie, on a crowded bus there will be less space, less space with family, less still with boyfriend etc. If you look next time you get on the bus, you will also notice that unless they are getting on the bus with someone, most people will choose the seat nearest the window, and put their bags on the seat next to them. Even if they have to walk right to the back of the bus for one stop, 90% of the time they wont sit next to a stranger if there is a seat free without sitting next to someone.
Reply 93
allymcb2

Boys and girls are different and thus society views and treats them differently.
Reply 94
Wez
Boys and girls are different and thus society views and treats them differently.

That doesnt mean it always should.
Reply 95
allymcb2

Ok, tell you what, you can be the pionier of this new wave of equality. Fancy joining the Essex Regt.? Going out to Iraq/Afghanistan? No...thought not.

Now, this is different treatment you'd agree with right?...
Reply 96
tehjonny
Ok, tell you what, you can be the pionier of this new wave of equality. Fancy joining the Essex Regt.? Going out to Iraq/Afghanistan? No...thought not.

Now, this is different treatment you'd agree with right?...

No, actually.

I wouldnt join but I´d expect to be conscripted.
Reply 97
allymcb2

Or that it shouldn't.

I don't see any harm done.
Reply 98
Wez
Or that it shouldn't.

I don't see any harm done.

In this case I do.
Reply 99
allymcb2