The Student Room Group

Importance of references?!

I'll be applying to universities in september/october and the ones currently on my radar are Cambridge/Imperial/UCL/Manchester/Edinburgh. So far, I have been doing very well in chemistry and double maths and have achieved fairly good grades but I've had issues in physics where I haven't been doing that well during the tests/mocks we were given in class (getting Bs/Cs but predicted A), and I don't think my physics teacher likes me. However, the irony is that I hope to apply for physics/natural sciences at uni!

So when the time comes (I know, it's a long way away), I'm thinking of asking my chemistry/maths teacher and tutor to write my reference and skip out my physics teacher but I feel that this may look bad when applying...can someone give me an idea on what I should do and how important are references compared to the personal statement? And could high grades offset a poorer reference?
Reply 1
Original post by bobbricks
I'll be applying to universities in september/october and the ones currently on my radar are Cambridge/Imperial/UCL/Manchester/Edinburgh. So far, I have been doing very well in chemistry and double maths and have achieved fairly good grades but I've had issues in physics where I haven't been doing that well during the tests/mocks we were given in class (getting Bs/Cs but predicted A), and I don't think my physics teacher likes me. However, the irony is that I hope to apply for physics/natural sciences at uni!

So when the time comes (I know, it's a long way away), I'm thinking of asking my chemistry/maths teacher and tutor to write my reference and skip out my physics teacher but I feel that this may look bad when applying...can someone give me an idea on what I should do and how important are references compared to the personal statement? And could high grades offset a poorer reference?

Of course it's very important for universities to have a more detached point of view. If you write in your PS that you're excellent in all subjects and are a super talented student but the reference states that you're just a dreamer I actually don't do anything, then it can be crucial for their consideration process.
Reply 2
Original post by Hanover
Of course it's very important for universities to have a more detached point of view. If you write in your PS that you're excellent in all subjects and are a super talented student but the reference states that you're just a dreamer I actually don't do anything, then it can be crucial for their consideration process.

So do you think it would be crucial for my physics teacher to write my reference as that's what I intend to do at uni, or could I get away with asking one of my other teachers?
Reply 3
So do you think it would be crucial for my physics teacher to write my reference as that's what I intend to do at uni, or could I get away with asking one of my other teachers?

Yes, definitely -regarding the fact that you're going to apply for a Physics-related course! He doesn't have to write the entire reference but his comment should be clear in the reference (through another teacher). Your choices are all extremely selective, so they're all bitching around when it comes to PS & Reference
Reply 4
Original post by Hanover
Yes, definitely -regarding the fact that you're going to apply for a Physics-related course! He doesn't have to write the entire reference but his comment should be clear in the reference (through another teacher). Your choices are all extremely selective, so they're all bitching around when it comes to PS & Reference

Oh..but can/do universities reject applicants on the basis of their reference (if it's poor)?
Reply 5
Oh..but can/do universities reject applicants on the basis of their reference (if it's poor)?

Usually, universities don't reject applicants directly just because of that. If the information given in the reference is not sufficient, they would normally ask for an additional reference. But I don't know the exact policies of the universities, Oxbridge & co might reject you right away cause they have too many applications for just a few places. So hey don't need to feel sorry for anybody..
Reply 6
Check how your school actually does its references. Many have a system where comments are collated from all your teachers, you don't just get to pick one. But I shouldn't worry unduly, it isn't in any school or teacher's interests to give you a bad uni reference if you're a good student.
if your grades are bad a good reference can be the deal breaker

if your grades are good it doesn't have much effect
Reply 8
So if I get really high grades/UMS in my subjects, and a good reference from my chemistry/maths teacher but a poor one from my physics teacher, then this wouldn't have any effect on my application?
It's not as simple as that.

Firstly, your physics teacher will presumably be in charge of your predicted grade for physics. If you don't do as well as you expect at as, and have done poorly in your in class tests, then he's not likely to give you the A/A* you will need to be considered for the courses you're interested. Obviously if you do poorly (which for the unis you're interested in is really anything less than an A) at AS, it might be time for a rethink anyway.

Your reference is important, but your school won't usually give you a poor one. However, if it's not as enthusiastic as other people's, then that won't look brilliant. Your school will have a policy on how references are written though. You need to find this out and see who will be writing your reference.

Cambridge, Imperial and UCL are all highly competitive universities, and reject lots of amazing students every year. Every part of your application needs to be good in order for them to accept you.

Maybe it would be good to have a chat to your physics teacher and see where you've been going wrong in your mocks/tests. It is possible they genuinely have an issue with you, but there seems to be possibly a deeper issue of understanding here, which also needs to be dealt with.
Reply 10
The system at my school (and several others, if TSR is anything to go by) is that your subject teachers each write a paragraph commenting on you & giving a predicted grade, then it is collected and added to by your form tutor. Don't worry about needing to ask a particular teacher unless that is your school's policy; that seems to be more of an American thing.

If it helps, I applied for chemistry this year and my science teachers' references were both copy-and-pasted as an 'A grade student reference' rather than anything near to commenting on my ability in the subjects & suitability to a scientific degree. Despite verbal confirmations from them that I could do well on one, etc. :rolleyes: As annoying as this was, I don't think it's been a sticking point in my application. So even a lukewarm reference can get the job done - unis must realise that not all schools have got it down to a fine art.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending