The Student Room Group

Best Tips for a Driving Test?

I failed my first driving test, I got a serious and a dangerous oops. The serious was because I was too slow on a roundabout and nearly got hit and the dangerous was my observations on an emergency stop. Both my fault and really stupid mistakes. I have another test coming up really soon in Guildford. Without sounding obvious like checking mirrors and not hitting anyone (lol) please give me tips on,
a) calming nerves,
b) tips for the actual test
c) coping with another fail haha

if I fail this time, I probably wont be able to carry on due to money :frown: massive shame considering I have a car. Oh, that reminds me, im taking it in my car again, is this an instant set back? Thanks!
Reply 1
My driving instructor told me something that I think worked well.

It was something like, "When you start your test, you've already passed. Until you do something wrong, that is when you'll fail".

Just have confidence in your own ability is what I think he was generally saying. Good luck!
a) For nerves, just drive as you would normally (assuming you're a safe driver usually :tongue: ). I just pretended that my test was another round with my instructor, and it flew by!
b) For the real thing, as well as doing what's said above, maintaining your speed is important, which is where you got that serious error last time. For the emergency stop, after doing the stop, put your hand break on and do your 360 look around again and then drive away when you know it is safe to do so. Just drive as you normally would.
c) You won't, so no worries :wink: Think if this if it happens only, otherwise you'll be pessimistic before your test!

Also driving in your own car is not a disadvantage, as long as you know all of the 'show-me, tell-me' questions for your car, and you are comfortable in driving smoothly with it :smile:
Reply 3
That scares me haha because then if I even clip a kerb, I'll be like, "damn, done something wrong, has to be a fail now!" and then I'll give up. I'm particularly scared of the manoeuvres. In my first test, I got reverse round a corner and did it perfectly. I bet I'll get turn in the road and mess it up. Oh well, what will be will be and if I'm not meant to pass now, I'm not meant to pass but I bloody hope I do!!
Reply 4
My tips would be

- Be sure you are ready ie no or very seldom errors in lessons
- Don't talk to friends about the impending test
- Don't contemplate failure
- Concentrate hard throughout the test

With these I'm sure you will pass.
Reply 5
Original post by Dandaman9999
a) For nerves, just drive as you would normally (assuming you're a safe driver usually :tongue: ). I just pretended that my test was another round with my instructor, and it flew by!
b) For the real thing, as well as doing what's said above, maintaining your speed is important, which is where you got that serious error last time. For the emergency stop, after doing the stop, put your hand break on and do your 360 look around again and then drive away when you know it is safe to do so. Just drive as you normally would.
c) You won't, so no worries :wink: Think if this if it happens only, otherwise you'll be pessimistic before your test!

Also driving in your own car is not a disadvantage, as long as you know all of the 'show-me, tell-me' questions for your car, and you are comfortable in driving smoothly with it :smile:
Thing is, I'm actually a good driver but when it comes to nerves, I have no idea what I'm doing. In my last test in Chertsey, my examiner said, "Go straight across on the roundabout" and I went left into a car-park! I think it's only because I knew I'd make a mistake as soon as I did it that she didn't fail me for that. Though, saying that, minutes previously she had failed me for the roundabout so I suppose she took pity haha. SO NERVOUS AHH.
Original post by dramaqueenx
Thing is, I'm actually a good driver but when it comes to nerves, I have no idea what I'm doing. In my last test in Chertsey, my examiner said, "Go straight across on the roundabout" and I went left into a car-park! I think it's only because I knew I'd make a mistake as soon as I did it that she didn't fail me for that. Though, saying that, minutes previously she had failed me for the roundabout so I suppose she took pity haha. SO NERVOUS AHH.

So it definitely is the nerves! Whatever you do, DON'T think about failing; as someone else posted above, you only fail if you do something wrong, otherwise you have passed :smile: I know it is a very nerve-wracking drive, but just drive as if it is just you in the car and you are having a nice 40min drive around town :tongue: Wake up early on the day and drive around for a while before the test in the same car you will be using to acclimatize, and stay calm throughout! On a mock an hour before my test, I actually failed and was sooo worried for the real thing, but I just drove normally and it went ok! Ignore the petty things (a few minors are expected for most people- obviously don't make them a habit!) and don't kick yourself if you think you messed up, just continue normally and see the outcome and you'll see that most likely you were worrying over nothing :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks everyone. I don't know why I'm so scared/nervous; it's not like it's imperative I do pass but all I can think is that I can't physically afford more lessons but a licence is for life - providing I don't mess it up hahaha. Oh I wish instructors could just pass you!! :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Thanks everyone. I don't know why I'm so scared/nervous; it's not like it's imperative I do pass but all I can think is that I can't physically afford more lessons but a licence is for life - providing I don't mess it up hahaha. Oh I wish instructors could just pass you!! :rolleyes:

Yes, I think it is one of the most nerve wracking things I've done. But remember with concentration and no negative thoughts whatsoever you will succeed.
Moved to Learning To Drive :smile:
That scares me haha because then if I even clip a kerb, I'll be like, "damn, done something wrong, has to be a fail now!" and then I'll give up. I'm particularly scared of the manoeuvres. In my first test, I got reverse round a corner and did it perfectly. I bet I'll get turn in the road and mess it up. Oh well, what will be will be and if I'm not meant to pass now, I'm not meant to pass but I bloody hope I do!!

If you make a mistake, leave it on the road behind you. There is nothing you can do about it and if you think about it you will only make another mistake and then another until it turns serious.

You cannot fail for going the wrong way. It is not a test of your navigational ability - it is a test of your driving ability. As long as you go the way you say you are i.e., indicate left, turn left and not indicate left and go straight on, you will be fine.
Yeah as long as you do it safely, if you go the wrong way it's fine. I missed (as I got confused) the exit for a roundabout and ended up having to go all the way round it and I was fine! Don't think I even got a minor for that.

Don't be afraid to ask for clarification/to remember. It's not a test of navigational ability (as already said) or memory about directions
Original post by Emma-Ashley
If you make a mistake, leave it on the road behind you. There is nothing you can do about it and if you think about it you will only make another mistake and then another until it turns serious.

Really sound advice. I failed my mock, I knew I failed when I slightly mounted the kerb during my manoeuvre BUT I didn't let it get to me (In lessons I usually freak and make more mistakes) but because I left it behind me I only got 1 more minor.

Although I failed I kept my cool after that mistake and had a good result at the end to be honest.
Reply 13
I did worse then you on my first test...
second I passed, you clearly can drive and pass, all I did different in my second test was take rescue remedy pastilles, take them a few days before to check for adverse effects just in case.
Helped me keep it together in my test.
Don't ****in' crash.
She didn’t fail for that, she did something at the previous roundabout, but I can assure you the examiner would never say go straight ahead at the roundabout, they do not use the word straight, she would of been told to follow the road ahead 3rd exit, but she took the 2nd exit into St Peters Hospital and it wouldn’t of been marked which the examiner didn’t, shame they didn’t say what happened at the previous roundabout . Funny how people have selected memory about their driving test.
Reply 16
Original post by Alfie.Shihtzu
She didn’t fail for that, she did something at the previous roundabout, but I can assure you the examiner would never say go straight ahead at the roundabout, they do not use the word straight, she would of been told to follow the road ahead 3rd exit, but she took the 2nd exit into St Peters Hospital and it wouldn’t of been marked which the examiner didn’t, shame they didn’t say what happened at the previous roundabout . Funny how people have selected memory about their driving test.

Yes you’re completely correct about the wording and the selective memory, what I don’t understand is why you replied to a 6 year old thread 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending