The Student Room Group

Is there any link between breast pain and periods?

For the first time in my 7 years of puberty, I've endured quite a bit of breast pain during my period, mainly the first day (sorry if this grosses you out but puh-leaseee, this is a normal bodily function for the fertile female :rolleyes:) and I was wondering if this is normal or is it something I should check out?
I usually get a lot of cramps making it impossible for me to move, and I occasionally have back pain, but the pain in my breasts is something new and it's worrying me. Does anyone else experience this pain during their period?

Scroll to see replies

Aww. I understand. I'm the same. They feel tender just before and during my periods. It's entirely normal.
Reply 2
Original post by euphrosyne
For the first time in my 7 years of puberty, I've endured quite a bit of breast pain during my period, mainly the first day (sorry if this grosses you out but puh-leaseee, this is a normal bodily function for the fertile female :rolleyes:) and I was wondering if this is normal or is it something I should check out?
I usually get a lot of cramps making it impossible for me to move, and I occasionally have back pain, but the pain in my breasts is something new and it's worrying me. Does anyone else experience this pain during their period?

I'm no scientist, but maybe they may be growing bigger which can only be a good thing :sexface:
But seriously i'm not even joking here, my friend had pain in his legs and toes before and then they grew longer, so same might apply here.
Reply 3

I always used to get this! A combination of the pill and growing out of it means it is much better now though.
Pretty normal :smile: Are you on any medication for the bad cramps? That's not normal and you don't have to put up with it, they can give you stuff
I get back pain
Apparently a lot of girls get tender breasts when they're on their periods, but I've never experienced it.

The stomach cramps though :cry2: Horrible horrible horrible :frown:
Have you not though about going on the pill? I had terrible period cramps (missed school a few times because of it back in the day) and really heavy periods. Went on Cerazette 6 years ago and not had a period since.

Otherwise- yes, it is normal.
Reply 8
Original post by kumon
I'm no scientist, but maybe they may be growing bigger which can only be a good thing :sexface:
But seriously i'm not even joking here, my friend had pain in his legs and toes before and then they grew longer, so same might apply here.

I hope that's not the reason. I don't want them to grow any more :lol:

Original post by redferry
I always used to get this! A combination of the pill and growing out of it means it is much better now though.

Original post by iamintorture
Aww. I understand. I'm the same. They feel tender just before and during my periods. It's entirely normal.

Original post by Maid Marian
Apparently a lot of girls get tender breasts when they're on their periods, but I've never experienced it.

The stomach cramps though :cry2: Horrible horrible horrible :frown:

Oh good, this makes me feel better! And here I was thinking that it was a symptom of breast cancer.. (but it turns out you don't get any breast pain if you do have breast cancer, so nevermind :innocent:)

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Pretty normal :smile: Are you on any medication for the bad cramps? That's not normal and you don't have to put up with it, they can give you stuff

I take Feminax Ultra on the first few days, but they're completely useless. I've gone to the school nurse a few times when my period starts mid school day, but she's always suggested that Brufen/Ibuprofen is "the best there is". I always thought that I had to get used to the unbearable pain as no one seems to have suggested any medication and I never thought to see a doctor about it.
Reply 9
Original post by littlesmurfette
Have you not though about going on the pill? I had terrible period cramps (missed school a few times because of it back in the day) and really heavy periods. Went on Cerazette 6 years ago and not had a period since.

Otherwise- yes, it is normal.

Well I've heard quite a few bad things about it, such as it making you infertile permanently? I've never really researched it tbh, but I'll definitely try to read about it now. My periods are incredibly heavy and the pain is horrible. I skip school too and if it happens during the day, I'm allowed to leave. It has the ability to make me cry for hours...
(edited 10 years ago)

I take Feminax Ultra on the first few days, but they're completely useless. I've gone to the school nurse a few times when my period starts mid school day, but she's always suggested that Brufen/Ibuprofen is "the best there is". I always thought that I had to get used to the unbearable pain as no one seems to have suggested any medication and I never thought to see a doctor about it.

That's bull****. Some women have the mentality of "just deal with it" and it's horrible. There are several things they can perscribe you. Mefenamic acid is good, although I didn't take that because I'm asthmatic. I had cocodamol, tramadol and dihydrocodeine. Definitely go and ask

Also, the pill or other hormonal contraceptives can be good. I used to take the pill, and I'd take it without a gap so I wouldn't get periods. Now I have Mirena which I like

Well I've heard quite a few bad things about it, such as it making you infertile permanently? I've never really researched it tbh, but I'll definitely try to read about it now. My periods are incredibly heavy and the pain is horrible. I skip school too and if it happens during the day, I'm allowed to leave. It has the ability to make me cry for hours...

The pill doesn't make you infertile permanently! From what you've said, I'd really suggest going to the GP. It sounds like you could have endometriosis - I have it, and it causes really heavy painful periods. Mine left me unable to do anything other than scream on the floor, and the blood loss caused me to be unable to leave my bathroom. You honestly do not have to just deal with it. :hugs:
Reply 12
I hope that's not the reason. I don't want them to grow any more :lol:

:rofl: Are you serious, guys love big boobs, you get to grab onto something and suck, as opposed to being flat chested :sexface:
And if in doubt go to a doctor tbh :wink: Although he may say the same thing :tongue:
Totally normal :smile: Your hormones are going a bit nuts so your breasts swell and get tender so they're a little bigger and they're painful. Not everyone gets it but the majority do. Just be careful with stuff like using stairs or running or the way you sleep because it can be extra painful.
Original post by kumon
:rofl: Are you serious, guys love big boobs

Yeaaaah but they're painful and they get in the way. Plus, they make your clothes hang weird so you look bigger than you are unless you wear fitted/tight clothes that are made for bigger chested girls but they're generally aimed at older women so they're not fashionable at all -.- Plus they're awkward with sleeping positions. Normal necklines show way too much if you lean forwards. Taking the stairs or running is a literal pain. Shirts just don't work unless you want the buttons to pop or the material to pull which looks scruffy. Most fitted coats just crush your boobs if they fit the rest of your body so you either put up with it or buy one that swamps you.

...I could go on but just something to think about :P
Reply 15
Original post by flyyoufools
Yeaaaah but they're painful and they get in the way. Plus, they make your clothes hang weird so you look bigger than you are unless you wear fitted/tight clothes that are made for bigger chested girls but they're generally aimed at older women so they're not fashionable at all -.- Plus they're awkward with sleeping positions. Normal necklines show way too much if you lean forwards. Taking the stairs or running is a literal pain. Shirts just don't work unless you want the buttons to pop or the material to pull which looks scruffy. Most fitted coats just crush your boobs if they fit the rest of your body so you either put up with it or buy one that swamps you.

...I could go on but just something to think about :P

Would you rather not have the attention and guys dreaming about your big bouncy boobs that they can do so many things with :sexface:, or a little short term pain.
I don't think it's normal at all. I've never felt such pain specifically during my periods, although of course I could be an anomaly, because I've never felt back pain due to periods either.

I think all of you feel this pain because you're not bodily fit. Squats and generally running around would rid you of such ailments. Try and see!
Reply 17
That's bull****. Some women have the mentality of "just deal with it" and it's horrible. There are several things they can perscribe you. Mefenamic acid is good, although I didn't take that because I'm asthmatic. I had cocodamol, tramadol and dihydrocodeine. Definitely go and ask

Also, the pill or other hormonal contraceptives can be good. I used to take the pill, and I'd take it without a gap so I wouldn't get periods. Now I have Mirena which I like

That's definitely our nurse. Brufen seems to be the cure for everything! Hmm, I'll do some research :smile:

I'm no expert on this at all; what exactly happens if you stop your period for a long time, besides the temporary inability to conceive? As in, are there any other side effects? And this all has to be prescribed, right?

The pill doesn't make you infertile permanently! From what you've said, I'd really suggest going to the GP. It sounds like you could have endometriosis - I have it, and it causes really heavy painful periods. Mine left me unable to do anything other than scream on the floor, and the blood loss caused me to be unable to leave my bathroom. You honestly do not have to just deal with it. :hugs:

I probably should, I haven't seen a GP in a very long time, definitely something I'll have to do before I go off to uni :redface: Ah thank you so much lovely. I've heard too many people saying that it's something that I should get used to so I kind of just told myself the same thing.. I honestly just sit in my bed and try to sleep for hours on end until I feel too numb to feel the pain.
Reply 18
Original post by kumon
:rofl: Are you serious, guys love big boobs, you get to grab onto something and suck, as opposed to being flat chested :sexface:
And if in doubt go to a doctor tbh :wink: Although he may say the same thing :tongue:

I honestly don't think they need to be any bigger. They're already too much of a hassle :lol:

Original post by flyyoufools
Totally normal :smile: Your hormones are going a bit nuts so your breasts swell and get tender so they're a little bigger and they're painful. Not everyone gets it but the majority do. Just be careful with stuff like using stairs or running or the way you sleep because it can be extra painful.

Hm, I just realised, they also get heavier, right? Mine feel too heavy right now.. Ugh I know, it's really hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in..

Original post by going gone
I don't think it's normal at all. I've never felt such pain specifically during my periods, although of course I could be an anomaly, because I've never felt back pain due to periods either.

I think all of you feel this pain because you're not bodily fit. Squats and generally running around would rid you of such ailments. Try and see!

I really don't think that's the case. I'm quite a fit person.. And according to what most people have posted before you, it seems to be normal. Guess you're the "anomaly" :tongue:
That's definitely our nurse. Brufen seems to be the cure for everything! Hmm, I'll do some research :smile:

I'm no expert on this at all; what exactly happens if you stop your period for a long time, besides the temporary inability to conceive? As in, are there any other side effects? And this all has to be prescribed, right?

I probably should, I haven't seen a GP in a very long time, definitely something I'll have to do before I go off to uni :redface: Ah thank you so much lovely. I've heard too many people saying that it's something that I should get used to so I kind of just told myself the same thing.. I honestly just sit in my bed and try to sleep for hours on end until I feel too numb to feel the pain.

There aren't any side effects :smile: Basically, you on't have periods on the pill, they're withdrawal bleeds. The reason the pill was made with a withdrawal bleed is because when the pill was first done there weren't pregnancy tests. Now, there is no need for it.

Yeah it has to be perscribed!

There's help out there for it :smile: Have you tried buying cocodamol? You can buy it but the perscribed one can be stronger. But even the OTC one is better than ibuprofen

Quick Reply

Latest