The Student Room Group

Medicine stereotypes Good Bad or Ugly

I find that there is a certain stereotype within different specialities in medicine and can find some are true but I've come to a stage where I have started to find some stereotypes very frustrating. Especially if your considering a career in that field and you do actually fit the bill.
What are your thoughts, are there stereotypes good, bad or just ugly

Scroll to see replies

Nothing like a bit of healthy banter between specialities.
Reply 2
The stereotype that every mod on TSR is a medic is the one I find most frustrating... :colonhash:
Reply 3
Doctors are much more aware of the stereotypes of other specialties than patients are. It's just harmless fun.
Reply 4
Original post by Mad Vlad
The stereotype that every mod on TSR is a medic is the one I find most frustrating... :colonhash:

True dat.
Reply 5
It did make me giggle when I was doing an orthopaedic list, they were struggling with something, and one of them actually said "I think we need a bigger hammer." :wink: Most of the time it's good for a bit of banter across the blood-brain barrier, but there are some stereotypes that do get annoying.
Reply 6
Funnily enough it's the orthopaedic stereotype that annoys me the most and some of you have already established that
I want to become an orthopaedic surgeon, and so when I tell people this, coming from an Asian petit female, it's absolutely hilarious to them....
Reply 7
Original post by Gibber96
Doctors are much more aware of the stereotypes of other specialties than patients are. It's just harmless fun.

At first it does appear to be harmless fun but then when one is expected to fit the stereotype and doesn't and constantly comes across the stereotype, it seems more like a barrier then a bit of banter
Reply 8
Original post by Wannabe_Surg
At first it does appear to be harmless fun but then when one is expected to fit the stereotype and doesn't and constantly comes across the stereotype, it seems more like a barrier then a bit of banter

I suppose you're right, I meant more that it's harmless in the sense that patients won't be put off by the highly derogatory stereotypes because they probably won't be aware of them - luckily for doctors everywhere.
Reply 9
Probably a bad thing - back when i was thinking of being a surgeon it was one of the main things i was worried about, and i think the surgeons my gf has met have contributed substantially to putting her off surgery.

Funnily enough it's the orthopaedic stereotype that annoys me the most and some of you have already established that
I want to become an orthopaedic surgeon, and so when I tell people this, coming from an Asian petit female, it's absolutely hilarious to them....������

My first experience of orthopaedic surgeons was 8 of them in a room - all male, all more than 6ft tall, all classic no-nonsense don't give a **** about students big biceps orthopods. The first case was someone who had lost consciousness at the wheel and crashed into a tree and had a c-spine fracture. They fixed the fracture. Not one of them at any point in care even questioned why the patient had lost consciousness at the wheel. It took a poor med reg whose job it was to literally sit in the orthopedic meetings to make sure they didn't do anything stupid, to stand up and finally, exasperatedly point out that this was an issue before anyone investigated it. It was such an incredible moment for me - until that point i had felt strongly that these stereotypes were just that - stereotypes. One of our tutors would say to 'choose a speciality that fits your personality' and i thought that was total bull. But fully 8 of them had just done that... jesus.

I did know one orthoopod who was nice, but i was taking part in his study so he had substantial motive to be nice. Obv not 100% of orthos are uncaring jocks but, you know, if even 25% of them are... it was enough to make me think anyway.

If you want to be an orthopod do your best to be so and do everything you can to not fall into the stereotype!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by nexttime
Probably a bad thing - back when i was thinking of being a surgeon it was one of the main things i was worried about, and i think the surgeons my gf has met have contributed substantially to putting her off surgery.

My first experience of orthopaedic surgeons was 8 of them in a room - all male, all more than 6ft tall, all classic no-nonsense don't give a **** about students big biceps orthopods. The first case was someone who had lost consciousness at the wheel and crashed into a tree and had a c-spine fracture. They fixed the fracture. Not one of them at any point in care even questioned why the patient had lost consciousness at the wheel. It was such an incredible moment for me - until that point i had felt strongly that these stereotypes were just that - stereotypes. One of our tutors would say to 'choose a speciality that fits your personality' and i thought that was total bull. But fully 8 of them had just done that... jesus.

I did know one orthoopod who was nice, but i was taking part in his study so he had substantial motive to be nice. Obv not 100% of orthos are uncaring jocks but, you know, if even 25% of them are... it was enough to make me think anyway.

If you want to be an orthopod do your best to be so and do everything you can to not fall into the stereotype!

That's the thing that puts me off orthopaedics and attracts me to other types of surgery, how your only focused upon a fracture, not adopting a holistic approach towards the patient. I love trauma and orthopaedics captures that, it captures the variety of different patients you see, the job satisfaction the quick fix surgery brings compared to other types of medicine. The assumptions and stereotypes has really started to get to me, it is banter at first but some people swear by the stereotype. Anything different and it's as if you won't succeed. I expressed my desire to become a surgeon recently to a doctor who asked, he burst out laughing and said oh it won't last 10 minutes, you'll realise that you don't have a life.
How encouraging
I understand what the career entails and true you need to be realistic. But maybe this is why surgery is so male dominated, the stereotypes, the inflexible training and working hours as a junior just being quite a few reasons.

I've had many experiences where I'm like, I never want to be like that doctor or I never will do this, but as we progress, it's so easy to become like that, sometimes it becomes understandable why a certain profession is like how they are. The stress and the fact you need to be a bit loud and brash to gain some form of authority

I definitely don't want to become the stereotypical surgeon, but I think it's so easy to become something you promised you will never become
Reply 11
That's the thing that puts me off orthopaedics and attracts me to other types of surgery, how your only focused upon a fracture, not adopting a holistic approach towards the patient. I love trauma and orthopaedics captures that, it captures the variety of different patients you see, the job satisfaction the quick fix surgery brings compared to other types of medicine. The assumptions and stereotypes has really started to get to me, it is banter at first but some people swear by the stereotype. Anything different and it's as if you won't succeed. I expressed my desire to become a surgeon recently to a doctor who asked, he burst out laughing and said oh it won't last 10 minutes, you'll realise that you don't have a life.
How encouraging

If you ask a group of 1st year med students what they want to go into, i bet >50% will say surgery, with a high proportion trauma surgery. Ask those with more experience and its substantially less. Perhaps this was his source of humour.

Regardless though, one doctor's disparaging comments are not something you need take on board. Nothing wrong with wanting to be an orthopod if you're well informed and have decided that that's what you want to do.

I understand what the career entails and true you need to be realistic. But maybe this is why surgery is so male dominated, the stereotypes, the inflexible training and working hours as a junior just being quite a few reasons.

Inflexible hours were what put me off of surgery. Having a life outside of medicine is important to me.
As a wannabe orthopod i find the "all orthopods are idiots" annoying. It's also just assumed that i want to do orthopaedics purely because i am 6 ft 5 and used to play rugby as opposed to my actual enjoyment of the subject. I've seen good and bad orthopods during clinical years, some of whom had a very good knowledge of the medical aspects of a patients care (not as good as a med reg but you wouldn't expect it to be). I just hope that by the time i come to train in the specialty there are more of the good ortho surgeons around as i'd find it incredibly frustrating if all other specialties just assumed that i am an idiot
Reply 13
This flow chart gives me a chuckle:

Apologies to the medics who have probably seen far too much of this :colondollar:
Reply 14
Original post by plrodham1
As a wannabe orthopod i find the "all orthopods are idiots" annoying. It's also just assumed that i want to do orthopaedics purely because i am 6 ft 5 and used to play rugby as opposed to my actual enjoyment of the subject. I've seen good and bad orthopods during clinical years, some of whom had a very good knowledge of the medical aspects of a patients care (not as good as a med reg but you wouldn't expect it to be). I just hope that by the time i come to train in the specialty there are more of the good ortho surgeons around as i'd find it incredibly frustrating if all other specialties just assumed that i am an idiot

That's one thing I hate, there is so much banter from the other specialities that orthopods are idiots! It's just not true!
I've met so many intelligent ones
I don't even understand where this idea stems from
Reply 15
Original post by -Neuro-
This flow chart gives me a chuckle:

Apologies to the medics who have probably seen far too much of this :colondollar:

Ahahaha, that's hilarious

Until I realise according to the flow chart I'm more suited to be to emergency medicine
All the orthopods I met when I did the firm really seemed to care about their patients and they actually bothered to teach us. Some of them did
mocks us a bit but you could tell they didn't mean it, and I'd rather be mocked than completely ignored. The stereotype is very unfair.

They were mostly male but they were very encouraging towards the female trainees so I think you should go for it if you want.
Reply 17
Original post by another ib-er
All the orthopods I met when I did the firm really seemed to care about their patients and they actually bothered to teach us. Some of them did
mocks us a bit but you could tell they didn't mean it, and I'd rather be mocked than completely ignored. The stereotype is very unfair.

They were mostly male but they were very encouraging towards the female trainees so I think you should go for it if you want.

I bet they were... :wink:
Original post by Helenia
I bet they were... :wink:

Oops, just realised what that sounds like... not like that!
My orthopaedic firm at the RLH was AMAZING!!! Learnt so much, got to do stuff, got to see stuff, got quizzed a lot (which I quite like) - in fact, I was pretty happy to go in everyday for the 8am trauma meetings. I am not, nor was I in the past, interested in ortho, but I generally felt comfortable being on that firm - they weren't as laddish as I thought they would be and anyone who knows me knows I probably couldn't spend prolonged periods of time with someone extremely laddish. I could happily spend my entire day in theatre (and I did on a fair few occasions). I actually only remember one joke that was relatively laddish, and it came from the anaesthetist in surgery... :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending