The Student Room Group

Which subject would you kill off?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by majmuh24
English. :colonhash:

IDGAF about Shakespeare or analyzng stupid poems and how the hell can green curtains represent jealousy (an actual example used by my teacher)! :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do realise that studying English can really improve your standard of writing and, in some cases, get you things you need/want. E.g if you have a high level of written communication you can raise your chances of getting further in life.

It's also interesting to study Language and Power at A level - you can see how language is used to manipulate people :colone:
English Lit, R.E and Textiles.
Original post by Aivicore
The ones I personally don't consider fun are useful, and the ones I consider important to intellectual development are less practical, but still necessary.

The only thing I'd change slightly is General Studies. It has the potential to be really enlightening, but it just ISN'T.

I do agree with your General Studies point. But it's so easy to get an A without revision or any effort, so might as well :teehee:
Original post by bubble999
You do realise that studying English can really improve your standard of writing and, in some cases, get you things you need/want. E.g if you have a high level of written communication you can raise your chances of getting further in life.

It's also interesting to study Language and Power at A level - you can see how language is used to manipulate people :colone:

Maybe, but it's not for me. I can read and write fine, but Shakespeare makes me want to bang my head against a wall :colonhash:

No way, I'm sticking to Maths and Sciences :tongue: I'm a pretty skilled manipulator already :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Maths. Yes, I know it's useful but that's my opinion.
Original post by majmuh24
Maybe, but it's not for me. I can read and write fine, but Shakespeare makes me want to bang my head against a wall :colonhash:

No way, I'm sticking to Maths and Sciences :tongue: I'm a pretty skilled manipulator already :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we need to have an awareness of these texts as they have influences how we use language today. Personally, I am an English Language girl - I find it much more relevant and useful to me.

I also like Maths and Science - currently taking A2 Biology and loving it too :yep: Haha, well, tell me more :colone:
Reply 26
I do agree with your General Studies point. But it's so easy to get an A without revision or any effort, so might as well :teehee:

That's true. It made people feel like they'd done something without having done anything at all. I recall walking out of the exam like "aw yeah, pat on the back me, you really aced that!" which was nice in comparison to my other subjects... :teehee:
That's true. It made people feel like they'd done something without having done anything at all. I recall walking out of the exam like "aw yeah, pat on the back me, you really aced that!" which was nice in comparison to my other subjects... :teehee:

I find it very weird how some completely flop it (some of my friends got Us in it - how?!) and some get As (myself and some of my other friends) yet no one revised it. I would love to sit and see how an examiner marks it; because on the second paper I was convinced I had failed it, but I got an A :lol:

But yeah, it's nice to have a nice grade to perk up my other grades :teehee:
Reply 28
I find it very weird how some completely flop it (some of my friends got Us in it - how?!) and some get As (myself and some of my other friends) yet no one revised it. I would love to sit and see how an examiner marks it; because on the second paper I was convinced I had failed it, but I got an A :lol:

But yeah, it's nice to have a nice grade to perk up my other grades :teehee:

I'd love to as well! A friend of mine, who is incredibly articulate and analytical, somehow wound up with an E.

In my final A-level exam, I actually angrily dismantled the question in my essay rather than answering it, and somehow achieved just shy of full marks. :s-smilie:

I think it's literally up to how they're feeling that day! :p:
Reply 29
though it is an important subject......physics
Reply 30
Probably drama - in some schools it's compulsory up until Years 10 & 11 (or at least it was in one of the schools I went to). I completely understand why some people may want to take drama classes after school or as a GCSE option, but imo it shouldn't be compulsory.
I'd kill off all the pretend ones so sub-par students stop stealing university places and jobs from harder-working and more intelligent people.

Sorry.
Reply 32
rs, the french did it and it works there
Drama
Reply 34
RS because it's actually pointless.
I wouln't kill it off but there is a course called 'Abuse Studies and Dance'. :K:

http://university.which.co.uk/manchester-metropolitan-university-m40/abuse-studies-and-dance-3-years-9000-lw55-a
Reply 36
PE!!
Reply 37
general Studies...Its POINTLESS
I'd love to as well! A friend of mine, who is incredibly articulate and analytical, somehow wound up with an E.

In my final A-level exam, I actually angrily dismantled the question in my essay rather than answering it, and somehow achieved just shy of full marks. :s-smilie:

I think it's literally up to how they're feeling that day! :p:

Wow, it really does seem rather random :tongue:

Oh my, that's amazing!! Well done :biggrin:

Yeah, I hope the others go well (I still have my A2s to do) and I haven't jinxed it :wink:
Replace RS/RE with Philosophy classes. Interest them with genuine philosophical issues, encourage discussion and free thought. Would make a nice change from the mundane nature of most classes.

Skepticism, problem of induction, epistemology, identity, dualism are all genuinely interesting topics which are sadly missing until uni level study. Shameful really.

Quick Reply

Latest