The Student Room Group

Which subject would you kill off?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I can't say I'm surprised at the number of people saying to get rid of RS. The problem I have with that is that so much hostility and bigotry towards different cultures and beliefs could be waylaid by proper study of world religions. The hostility of large sections of TSR towards Islam is a perfect example of what results from ignorance.
Reply 41
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Replace RS/RE with Philosophy classes. Interest them with genuine philosophical issues, encourage discussion and free thought. Would make a nice change from the mundane nature of most classes.

Skepticism, problem of induction, epistemology, identity, dualism are all genuinely interesting topics which are sadly missing until uni level study. Shameful really.

Pfffffffft philosophy. MORE MATHS AND SCIENCE!!!!
Original post by MAyman12
Pfffffffft philosophy. MORE MATHS AND SCIENCE!!!!

Wouldn't you be interested in studying why the entire basis of science, and indeed all human knowledge of the world, might be fallacious...?
Reply 43
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Wouldn't you be interested in studying why the entire basis of science, and indeed all human knowledge of the world, might be fallacious...?

No, I'm not interested in your piece of **** you call philosophy. Philosophers have never done anything useful, all they do is ask stupid questions over and over again without trying finding an answer.
No, I'm not interested in your piece of **** you call philosophy. Philosophers have never done anything useful, all they do is ask stupid questions over and over again without trying finding an answer.

Bertrand Russell? He was a philosopher and also did some amazing work on maths, including some things that changed the way we think about things now (set theory, Principia Mathematica etc.) :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sociology, it's so dangerous having that bull**** marketing itself as a serious science

Original post by Xyloid
Religious Studies for obvious reasons.

(Religion is horse****).

Sick fedora brah
Maths.

Only joking i love that subject. I think i would get rid of history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by majmuh24
Bertrand Russell? He was a philosopher and also did some amazing work on maths, including some things that changed the way we think about things now (set theory, Principia Mathematica etc.) :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

He was a Mathematician and a Philosopher, so my point still stands. Can you please explain how philosophy is useful?
Reply 48
Original post by bubble999
You do realise that studying English can really improve your standard of writing and, in some cases, get you things you need/want. E.g if you have a high level of written communication you can raise your chances of getting further in life.

It's also interesting to study Language and Power at A level - you can see how language is used to manipulate people :colone:

Totally agree.

Maybe, but it's not for me. I can read and write fine, but Shakespeare makes me want to bang my head against a wall :colonhash:

There's a hell of a lot more to English than Shakespeare...:s-smilie:

Frankly I wouldn't get rid of any subjects, different people have different skills and interests. :dontknow:
He was a Mathematician and a Philosopher, so my point still stands. Can you please explain how philosophy is useful?

If you don't mind me saying, you sound very ignorant and small-minded by implying that anything that doesn't have a direct practical purpose is worthless.
English Literature
Travel and Tourism
RS
Citizenship
Sociology
Music

Plato? Aristotle? Leibniz? Hilbert? Wittgenstein? Kant? Frege (essentially the father of mathematical logic :colonhash:) All studied philosophy.

What can you say about the practical use of anything out of context? Nothing is useful in absolutely any context, including philosophy. You may say maths is more useful, but can you give me an example of when you have ever used maths in real life? Most subjects are only useful in specific contexts, but if you are saying what is the most useful in general day to day life, I would have to say sociology or psychology simply because of the way they deal with people and interactions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Plato? Aristotle? Leibniz? Hilbert? Wittgenstein? Kant? Frege (essentially the father of mathematical logic :colonhash:) All studied philosophy.

What can you say about the practical use of anything out of context? Nothing is useful in absolutely any context, including philosophy. You may say maths is more useful, but can you give me an example of when you have ever used maths in real life? Most subjects are only useful in specific contexts, but if you are saying what is the most useful in general day to day life, I would have to say sociology or psychology simply because of the way they deal with people and interactions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I ****ing use maths and physics every single day. Programming for example. Now, please give me an example where me or you ever need to use sociology or psychology?
I ****ing use maths and physics every single day. Programming for example. Now, please give me an example where me or you ever need to use sociology or psychology?

You may, but I would say that the general public don't really use them that much.

Psychology and sociology are much more applicable to real life since they are centered around social interactions and why/how they happen, so you could use them any time you talk to someone. Psychology could be used in business to help selling, mental health problems and many other scenarios.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
You may, but I would say that the general public don't really use them that much.

Psychology and sociology are much more applicable to real life since they are centered around social interactions and why/how they happen, so you could use them any time you talk to someone. Psychology could be used in business to help selling, mental health problems and many other scenarios.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because, of maths, physics and engineering I'm using my computer to write this down. The economy is all based on maths, physics for technology and biology and chemistry for medicine. Please explain how the "general public" don't use maths or science?
Let's see most worthless subjects would have to be, in order or irrelevancy; General Studies, Critical Thinking, Photography, Dance, PE, Citizenship, Health and Social Care, Travel and Tourism, Media Studies.

Let us not forget 'Applied' subjects too.
Original post by Precious Illusions
Totally agree.

Frankly I wouldn't get rid of any subjects, different people have different skills and interests. :dontknow:

Yeah, I think different subjects are good for different people. It's good to have people who have a range of skills :yep:
Original post by Precious Illusions

I know, but that's just one of the things that confuses me. So far, I have yet to find one thing in English that even remotely interests me :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Maths or possibly General Studies.

I don't mind the General Studies exam itself but I'd kill of the compulsory lessons we have to do for it.
Reply 59
Original post by Ndella
Maths. Yes, I know it's useful but that's my opinion.

On what grounds??

For me it would be IT.

Quick Reply

Latest