The Student Room Group

Main difficulty experienced in an operating room?

Hi. Not sure where best place to put this is so mod can feel free to move, I just wanted it to be somewhere people could see it.

If an interviewer asked you the above question, what would be a good answer do you think?
Thanks in advance.
I'll assume this is for medicine... And I seriously doubt this would ever be a genuine interview question unless you'd mentioned a lot of surgical work experience in your PS.
Reply 2
Hi, it's for ODP and is apparently a question that gets asked a lot.
Reply 3
Why don't you start us off with some ideas.
Reply 4
Original post by NatBenson93
Hi. Not sure where best place to put this is so mod can feel free to move, I just wanted it to be somewhere people could see it.

If an interviewer asked you the above question, what would be a good answer do you think?
Thanks in advance.

What do you think are the main difficulties? Communication? Staffing? Budgetary constraints? The wrong coffee for the anaesthetists? There's lots of things you could talk about.
Reply 5
Original post by NatBenson93

Thanks in advance.

How about you start us off and then we can chip in?
From my time in theatres as a student I was told a lot of people faint when they first start. Also you can end up more tired due to the amount of sevo that leaks into the air.

As for your question. I'm not an ODP but I'd look at challenges that may be more personal to you and how you can spin them round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Happy_Holidays
From my time in theatres as a student I was told a lot of people faint when they first start. Also you can end up more tired due to the amount of sevo that leaks into the air.

As for your question. I'm not an ODP but I'd look at challenges that may be more personal to you and how you can spin them round.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're more likely to experience a sub anaesthetic dose of inhalationals in recovery rather than in the actual theatre itself (I used to sleep so well when I first did any recovery work). It's why women in the early stages of pregnancy are asked to scrub as the gas is taken away and neutralised in the anaesthetic machine the vast majority of the time.

OP, just another thing to think about, the main difficulties experienced in theatre will vary depending on who you are. Think about things from everyone's angle.
In fairness my theatres placement was in short stay so everything's close together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Technical problems most frequently caused stress (16.4%) and personal issues the least often (6.4%). Frequently encountered stressors (teaching and distractions/interruptions) caused less stress to the surgeons. Technical factors, teamwork, and equipment problems occurred frequently and were also a major contributor to OR stress.

Just copied from the internet..
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest