The Student Room Group

Should I confess? Am I even guilty?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aleon
Hey everyone, I'm a first year Economics student.

As part of one of my modules my University runs this online virtual economy game. The login to the game was extremely flawed as all you needed was a uni username and an email both of which was available to everyone so I was curious as to whether it would be possible to get into someone else's account.

Yes in hindsight I can see how incredibly stupid and foolish this was.

But I've always been overly curious and I just wanted to find out if it was possible if I could do it, so on the last day the virtual economy was open I tried and succeeded to get into someone elses account. I just picked a name at random. Think I bought like 4 things maybe and then closed it, as I started to realise it wasn't a good idea to be doing this.

Original post by Aleon
It's a game but it counts as 10% of our mark for this particular module.

You weren't just being curious - you were being an idiot.

Knowing that the results of the game would count as 10% of the mark for your module, you went into another person's account, then actually used the account.

Who the hell do you think you are? Did you negatively affect the account of the person who you logged in as?

That being said, he's probably bluffing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Kagutsuchi
You weren't just being curious - you were being an idiot.

Knowing that the results of the game would count as 10% of the mark for your module, you went into another person's account, then actually used the account.

Who the hell do you think you are? Did you negatively affect the account of the person who you logged in as?

I hope your lecturer isn't bluffing and that he deducts you the full 10% for the module.

That being said, he's probably bluffing.

It was incredibly stupid I admit, but I wasn't doing it to gain any advantage, first year doesn't even count, I was just genuinely curious to get in, and yes, when I used it I immediately realised id gone to far and logged out straight away.

They would have had less money but he says in the email that any victims were compensated in their marks.

I accept it was really stupid and I will never do it again, I've always been too curious, and now I'm scared it could have ruined my life, that 30 seconds of stupidity and not thinking. :frown:
Not sure how to view this

he probably is bluffing, but what if you actually ruined another person's score for that module?
Reply 23
Ok so using logic if you gave the person a higher total in the end, why would they tell the professor someone messed with their account? It would have resulted in them losing points, so they would probably be grateful if you gave them a higher mark.

Doubt it was you he was talking about.
Reply 24
I wouldnt have ruined his score, he lost some money but gained some points, but was such a minute level it wouldn't even be 1% of the 10%. And even then the guy said that anyone who had lost out was compensated.
Reply 25
Nah He is bluffing
Go on the offensive! Get your union involved! Tell the professor that the school are just as accountable for a poor security/safeguarding system that could have led to jeopardising a student's future, not to mention the stress and anxiety for all involved!

Or, you know. Just take it on the chin.
It's more likely that the person has noticed their account has been hacked, they have no idea how to find out who's done it (because let's face it, the whole thing is run poorly if you can get into the accounts so easily) and the lecturer is now trying to trick the person into owning up.

It's probably also a case of him not entirely believing the person who said that the activity wasn't them - it seems like the perfect excuse to get out of a bad decision on the game - but if someone were to admit doing it then it would confirm the truth.
Reply 28
Original post by StretfordEnd
Go on the offensive! Get your union involved! Tell the professor that the school are just as accountable for a poor security/safeguarding system that could have led to jeopardising a student's future, not to mention the stress and anxiety for all involved!

Or, you know. Just take it on the chin.

I don't understand do you think i should confess or not
Reply 29
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
It's more likely that the person has noticed their account has been hacked, they have no idea how to find out who's done it (because let's face it, the whole thing is run poorly if you can get into the accounts so easily) and the lecturer is now trying to trick the person into owning up.

It's probably also a case of him not entirely believing the person who said that the activity wasn't them - it seems like the perfect excuse to get out of a bad decision on the game - but if someone were to admit doing it then it would confirm the truth.

This sums it up! Tutor doesn't believe them so is angling for someone to confirm it.

If someone calls 'hacked' and they trace it to you somehow, you just call 'hacked!' too
Reply 30
Original post by LolaLowe
This sums it up! Tutor doesn't believe them so is angling for someone to confirm it.

If someone calls 'hacked' and they trace it to you somehow, you just call 'hacked!' too

I think the teacher does believe him, but you're right about just saying that my account was hacked too.
I don't think this is really in the plural. I think it was just you and nobody else. I think he is implying it is plural because it makes it sound like he actually knows something. If you say "one person did this one thing and I want to know who" it shows you actually don't have any information. With plural, you might think that maybe he has information on others doing the same thing - and also it makes confessing seem less scary, because other people would be in the same boat with you.

If you did this from halls they will have trouble finding you out, but from a shared house or via a uni VPN, it will be simple to trace you.
Reply 32
Original post by scrotgrot
I don't think this is really in the plural. I think it was just you and nobody else. I think he is implying it is plural because it makes it sound like he actually knows something. If you say "one person did this one thing and I want to know who" it shows you actually don't have any information. With plural, you might think that maybe he has information on others doing the same thing - and also it makes confessing seem less scary, because other people would be in the same boat with you.

If you did this from halls they will have trouble finding you out, but from a shared house or via a uni VPN, it will be simple to trace you.

I did it on the Uni Library computer, so they could trace it to my uni account but as LolaLowe said can't I just claim my uni account must have been hacked into?

and are you saying I should confess or not?
Reply 33
Original post by Aleon
I did it on the Uni Library computer, so they could trace it to my uni account but as LolaLowe said can't I just claim my uni account must have been hacked into?

I don't think you should confess. It would be no easy task for them to identify that it was you who had logged into another students account, even if you used your uni login, in the uni library. (IMO as a compsci student). Anyways, I do not think you are guilty, you were simply curious. The uni should have secured the accounts properly. I believe its more likely that someone has reported certain students for collusion.

If this does come back to you, I would plead ignorance. However, I highly doubt it will come to this. Hope you are OK, and I am sure this will all blow over soon.
Reply 34
Original post by Hey Lyla
I don't think you should confess. It would be no easy task for them to identify that it was you who had logged into another students account, even if you used your uni login, in the uni library. (IMO as a compsci student). Anyways, I do not think you are guilty, you were simply curious. The uni should have secured the accounts properly. I believe its more likely that someone has reported certain students for collusion.

If this does come back to you, I would plead ignorance. However, I highly doubt it will come to this. Hope you are OK, and I am sure this will all blow over soon.

Thank you, I hope you are right, I'm just really nervous though.
Well if you think about it if they find out and kick you out they would be losing out on £9000 a year, is that really what they would want?

If you know any second/third years see if they did the game too and find out if anything similar happened

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's no way he can prove it was you anyway, even if they track your IP address just say you always let your friends use your laptop so you don't know what they've done on it..
Original post by Aleon

If they can trace it to the library PC and have the date & time it happened they could always search for CCTV footage. But I seriously doubt they're that bothered!
You've been given good advice but seriously, if you're going to be 'curious', please take necessary precautions.
Don't confess. Never confess, unless they bring out CCTV footage, then say you did experiment a little to test the security of the system, but you forgot that you did it.

Otherwise if they trace it back to your account somehow, just say you must have been hacked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending