The Student Room Group

teacher secretly predicted me lower grades

So i found out yesterday that my teacher predicted me BCD when we agreed on BBC and i did not find this out until i called a university. What can i do? Can i complain? Help please this has lead me to getting a rejection.
Original post by saraa_90
So i found out yesterday that my teacher predicted me BCD when we agreed on BBC and i did not find this out until i called a university. What can i do? Can i complain? Help please this has lead me to getting a rejection.

Bumping this.

Is there another teacher that you also talked about this with, eg your head of year, or each subject teacher. Maybe you can get them to email the uni about the situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It's not up to you to agree anything. The teacher predicts the grades.

They shouldn't have done it without telling you, but they predict what they think you'll get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a pretty big difference so you must have done something that made her think you couldn't get it.
Either way the teacher gives you the predictions - she didn't need to discuss anything with you.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
It's not up to you to agree anything. The teacher predicts the grades.

They shouldn't have done it without telling you, but they predict what they think you'll get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well she told me that she was going to predict me BBC and she never mentioned anything else if she would have told me straight up in going to predict you BCD i would understand its just annoying waiting anxiously for an interview and worrying for nothin
Reply 5
Original post by lipslikemorphine
That's a pretty big difference so you must have done something that made her think you couldn't get it.
Either way the teacher gives you the predictions - she didn't need to discuss anything with you.

truue but why would she tell me she predicted me BBC ?
truue but why would she tell me she predicted me BBC ?

Maybe she looked over your work and realised that she over-predicted you? Because of a mock exam?
Reply 7

What were your AS grades? Does one of the predictions seem unreasonable compared to how you did last year?
Reply 8
Actually you can. Same thing happened to me last year and I spoke to the right teachers about it. As a result, my head of sixth form wrote to the unis and on the same day, they withdrew their rejections and gave me offers and interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile
It may not be your teacher. She may have been overruled by senior management in the school.

However it is extremely poor practice on the part of the school because it has meant that you have applied for places you were unlikely to get. This isn't a trivial matter and the way to demonstrate that it isn't trivial is for your parents to arrange an interview to discuss this with your head/principal.
Reply 10
Original post by nulli tertius
It may not be your teacher. She may have been overruled by senior management in the school.

However it is extremely poor practice on the part of the school because it has meant that you have applied for places you were unlikely to get. This isn't a trivial matter and the way to demonstrate that it isn't trivial is for your parents to arrange an interview to discuss this with your head/principal.

Agree with this ^^^^^

And whilst I feel that predicted grades are not an issue for negotiation between staff and student (it should be down to the staff) the decision should be clear to the student so they can apply to appropriate courses as nulli has said. The result of this is that you could end up wasting a year and having to reapply or just taking what's on offer of what courses are left over and having to lump it. Either way not good and unprofessional.
Have you asked the teacher in question why they predicted you lower grades? Surely that's the first thing you would do when you found out.
Original post by Folion
Agree with this ^^^^^

And whilst I feel that predicted grades are not an issue for negotiation between staff and student (it should be down to the staff) the decision should be clear to the student so they can apply to appropriate courses as nulli has said. The result of this is that you could end up wasting a year and having to reapply or just taking what's on offer of what courses are left over and having to lump it. Either way not good and unprofessional.

I agree with all this, too, and I'm a teacher. (It would most certainly not happen at my school.) I am curious about the facts of this case, though. In the schools I know of and have worked in, the reference is a synthesis of the input of all the subject teachers and the form tutor's job is to collate it and pass it on to the head's representative (usually head of sixth) to rubber stamp it. For two grades to have changed, two subjects' teachers must have dropped the grade, as it isn't really the job of one person singlehandedly to override the professional judgement of two departments (usually meaning 4 teachers in reality.) I suspect there may be gaps in the facts about this case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending