The Student Room Group

University entrance without meeting requirements. Is it possible?

Anyone here who can give us their tale of how they made it without meeting entry requirements? Was it luck, your personal statement or is it something else special. Please say it out even if it's your mate while keeping their identity confidential.Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
If you're a mature student then the published entry requirements may not apply at all. The requirements for school leavers (A Levels, set number of UCAS points) usually don't apply if you've been out of education for a few years. You might instead be asked to do a one year Access course and sometimes professional experience can be taken into account instead of formal qualifications.

Unfortunately, mature student entry is decided on a case-by-case basis and doesn't tend to be publicised alongside course details. For example, I was one of two mature students on my degree course. I wasn't required to do an Access course but the other mature student had to.

Best advice is to narrow it down to half a dozen courses you like the look of, then email that uni's Admissions Office. Explain your circumstances and ask what - if anything - you would need to do in order to be considered for your chosen course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you very much. That was of great help. Have a great week ahead! I am doing Access course at the moment, so that's why I asked just in case I miss the requirements.
You'll find lots of helpful advice on the Mature Students board - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185
Reply 4
Definitely! This happened to loads of my friends. There could be many ways of achieving this: recieving a lower offer initially, missing your offer on results day but the university makes an exception for you, etc
Reply 5
Thanks guys. That's very encouraging.
Lots of universities make their typical offer higher than the grades they would accept people with just because it makes the course look 'better' if it has higher entry requirements. I know people who got into their first choice uni despite missing their offer by 5 grades. Generally the more competitive the course and uni, the less likely you are to get in without meeting the entrance requirements. But if you apply to a lower ranked uni and a less competitive course they're usually more flexible, although there's no guarantee.
Btw everyone, these 'my best friend's cousin got into xxx Uni with only 3 Cs' etc stories are not actually helpful to anyone waiting on a Uni place this year.

You might think its helpful/supportive/reassuring, but actually all it does is give false hope. Whatever happened last year or whenever has no bearing on what will happen this year. And most top Unis are increasingly NOT being lenient with those who mess up their grades because they know they can get plenty of high achievers through Adjustment and 'ABB+' uncapped places.

Just be careful about allowing anyone at this stage to think 'Oh its okay - I've got offers. I don't actually need to get decent grades to be accepted in August so it doesn't matter if I slack off and do no work.'
Reply 8
I agree with you "returnmigrant". Was just asking if there was a minute chance of joining uni if you don't get the set of entry requirements. That's all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hen44
I agree with you "returnmigrant". Was just asking if there was a minute chance of joining uni if you don't get the set of entry requirements.

No-one can predict in advance how many of this year's applicants will fulfil their offers and what the Unis will do about any spare places - accept 'near misses', clearing, adjustment, Abb+ places. Its impossible for anyone to predict this in advance and each year is different.

Yes, every year some people on some courses at some Unis are still accepted if they miss a grade but don't ever rely on this happening to you!
Original post by Hen44
I agree with you "returnmigrant". Was just asking if there was a minute chance of joining uni if you don't get the set of entry requirements. That's all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a chance of getting in, but it depends on a lot of factors. Every year, some people are let into some unis despite missing their grades. However, missing their grades can mean something like getting A*AC instead of ABB. Obviously, the closer you are to the conditions of your offer, the more likely you are to be let in. It is unusual for people who miss the entry requirements by a long way to be let in, unless there are extenuating circumstances. Stories about people's friends may not be that useful, as they may not know all of their friend's circumstances.

Are you doing any GCSEs alongside your access course? If so, these can be very important to get the right grade in- as the university feels that people who haven't got the C or B that they ask for may not cope with the maths/English demands of the course.

It's normal to feel worried at this stage. The best thing you can do is get your head down and work to get the best grades possible.
Reply 11
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
There is a chance of getting in, but it depends on a lot of factors. Every year, some people are let into some unis despite missing their grades. However, missing their grades can mean something like getting A*AC instead of ABB. Obviously, the closer you are to the conditions of your offer, the more likely you are to be let in. It is unusual for people who miss the entry requirements by a long way to be let in, unless there are extenuating circumstances. Stories about people's friends may not be that useful, as they may not know all of their friend's circumstances.

Are you doing any GCSEs alongside your access course? If so, these can be very important to get the right grade in- as the university feels that people who haven't got the C or B that they ask for may not cope with the maths/English demands of the course.

It's normal to feel worried at this stage. The best thing you can do is get your head down and work to get the best grades possible.

Yeah, I have got GCSE Maths at B from last year but no GCSE English but I've completed Level 2 English functional skills.
Original post by Hen44
Yeah, I have got GCSE Maths at B from last year but no GCSE English but I've completed Level 2 English functional skills.

Well as long as they are happy with your maths and English qualifications I am sure you'll be fine. If you were retaking, universities tend to be fairly strict as to the GCSE grades they want, but as you already have what you need, it won't affect you.
Reply 13
Thanks. I have not retaken any qualifications they require from me. Thank you for your response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending