The Student Room Group

Want to do physics and chemistry at uni- advice?

I would be very interested in doing a degree which had both physics and chemistry involved (preferably a degree like physics with/and chemistry, rather than something like molecular physics). Currently, the unis I'm considering are Cambridge (which has natural sciences, so this matches what I want), Manchester, Imperial, UCL, Durham, Warwick, Edinburgh.

Can someone offer me any advice regarding taking both physics/chemistry at these unis (if possible)? UCL and Durham have a natural sciences course but it seems that the former's is not accredited by the Institute of Physics/Royal Society of Chemistry and the latter's isn't accredited by the RSC..
Reply 1
I'm not sure if you have considered Bristol before but they do a course called Chemical Physics which is pretty much a 50:50 split between Chemistry and Physics.

http://www.bris.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2015/chemical-physics/msci-chemical-physics/
Reply 2
UCL have a Chemical Physics course, and other universities have courses with names like 'Physical Chemistry' or something like that. I don't think Manchester has a course like that, and I'm not too sure about the others.
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/chemistry/undergraduate/courses/F323_ChemicalPhysics

It may be possible to study both with a full physics degree or chemistry degree. In the year you'd get a certain number of credits to spend time on different modules. Some courses may give you space credits to use for mathematics modules, or extended course modules (e.g. Medical Physics could be an extra module for Physics). If you had some spare credits, you'd be able to speak to the university and spend lessons in other departments too. It might not be 50:50 but it's an option :smile:
Hope i could help!
Reply 3
Cambridge's NatSci degree sounds like it would be your best bet. And you wouldn't be stuck doing a subject you don't like if you decide you want to do only che/physics after the first year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending