The Student Room Group

Do you regret not telling a girl/boy you liked them?

Scroll to see replies

I had a situation like that. I told him I liked him, it did not go well and it's been nearly 2 years since I even spoke to the guy. :lol: Don't regret it though. I think the way I did it was stupid but I'm glad I did it anyway. Although I haven't been brave enough to ask a guy out since then. :lol: And in hindsight we would have been a terrible couple, so clearly some unseen force was looking out for me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by phunky_fresh
Were you good friends with her?

She was a friend from childhood, that I re-met
Reply 22
Yes but then he moved to London so it was never gonna work out :frown:
Yes. Sometimes. But it would have been too late anyway
Reply 24
Yes

But i never will tell him.

He has a girlfriend he's very in love with so i'll leave well alone and good luck to them :smile:
Absolutely. I really liked one of my male friends from the beginning of Year 10 to around halfway through Year 11. In an effort to console him (he was a tad down in the dumps and had poor self-esteem) I admitted that I used to have a crush on him. He then confessed that he actually quite liked me during that time too, but no longer saw me that way. He had a girlfriend then so... :frown: Who knows what could have been?

Anyway. OP, I think you ought to tell her. If she doesn't feel the same way, move on. If she does, then great - I'm sure you'll be able to work something out logistically! :smile:
Original post by de_monies
She was a friend from childhood, that I re-met

Oh I see. I just never really understood why girls get freaked out when a guy says he likes her. Obviously staying friends would be hard, but I've never stopped talking to a guy because of this. I leave it up to the guy decide. I've actually gained good male friends over the years.
Original post by phunky_fresh
Oh I see. I just never really understood why girls get freaked out when a guy says he likes her. Obviously staying friends would be hard, but I've never stopped talking to a guy because of this. I leave it up to the guy decide. I've actually gained good male friends over the years.

Someone here did that as well *sigh* Though at least, she didn't do so as "out of the blue" as this girl did.. Do i regret it? A little bit perhaps, purely because one of them says "hi" to me (the one I knew before hand) and one doesn't want to talk at all.... so that's gone I guess
Original post by laylarose
Absolutely. I really liked one of my male friends from the beginning of Year 10 to around halfway through Year 11. In an effort to console him (he was a tad down in the dumps and had poor self-esteem) I admitted that I used to have a crush on him. He then confessed that he actually quite liked me during that time too, but no longer saw me that way. He had a girlfriend then so... :frown: Who knows what could have been?

Anyway. OP, I think you ought to tell her. If she doesn't feel the same way, move on. If she does, then great - I'm sure you'll be able to work something out logistically! :smile:

That'd be me I think though often when people say that I often think that it's a cruel joke... Anon, because of the whole poor image thing

Though for most people, I guess it might possibly be an ego boost at the very least?
Original post by de_monies
Someone here did that as well *sigh* Though at least, she didn't do so as "out of the blue" as this girl did.. Do i regret it? A little bit perhaps, purely because one of them says "hi" to me (the one I knew before hand) and one doesn't want to talk at all.... so that's gone I guess

It happens! I've also lost male friends along the way. I've plucked up the courage to tell guys how I felt, we dated and don't talk anymore. You have to take the good with the bad I guess. More fish in the sea!
Original post by Anonymous
That'd be me I think though often when people say that I often think that it's a cruel joke... Anon, because of the whole poor image thing

Though for most people, I guess it might possibly be an ego boost at the very least?

Awh, don't be so hard on yourself, man :console:

but yeah, of course it's an ego boost. It's pretty lovely to hear someone say "I like you/used to like you/fancy you/whatever" when you think that nobody ever will.
No. I would have suffered major embarrassment.
Back in college, there was a girl in most of my classes who i'd never spoken to all year. Then she suddenly starting talking to me out of the blue, asked for my number etc and it went from there. Looking back at it now, it was so ****ing obvious she was interested but it didn't even cross my mind until a few months down the line when i'd moved away. All I could think of at the time was how she was ridiculously out of my league.

Do I regret not realising sooner, or telling her? Of course.

Original post by MichaelB6
But flat out saying 'I like you' with no prior indication nearly always leads to an awkward encounter for both parties.

Agreed, I did this once and it was so awkward. She had to text me later that night because she didn't know what to say in person. Luckily the girl in question is now a really good friend, and said incident has never been mentioned again :tongue:
No?

I followed her on twitter, but she never followed back, so I assumed she was not interested.
Mines sort of funny: my brother and I used to hang out with a pair of twins and as a 12 year old girl I developed a thing for one of them. Pretty much every day of the summer holiday we spent together, so you can imagine. I was pretty certain I was going to tell him, but I waited to until after the family holiday. During that week he had managed to get himself a girlfriend and consequently, I kept my trap shut. He stayed with her for 3 years and we eventually lost touch. Bumped into him just over a year ago and we chatted. We've been together for a year now, pretty crazy :biggrin:
Had a crush, told them- didn't go well so ended up ruining our friendship because I was so awkward around them.
Another crush. I want to tell then so so badly but I don't want to kill our relationship- they're one of my best friends.
I regret it... Although I'm actually with someone else now, and she is too. I regret not asking her out; she's one of my closest friends now, but there is obviously still something there even after 3 years. What's more annoying is that her best friend told me recently that she was into me back when I liked her. I should have told her, and who knows where we'd be..we are constantly mistaken as a couple at least once a day, even now, because apparently we act like one. Plus her family is lovely too... It could have been amazing.
But yeah... TELL HER, you will regret it forever, especially if you are/become really close friends.
(edited 10 years ago)
yeah cos in hindsight he seemed like he liked me back. theres still time though, i think.
I like someone right now but I don't have the guts to tell him at all :angry:
I like someone right now but I don't have the guts to tell him at all :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending