The Student Room Group

Is it too late to go through clearing?

Okay so I am currently in university, first year - but I am wholly dissatisfied with my course, its nearly the last term at university but I honestly don't feel I can get through the last term. I'm certain I want to leave at the end of this year - but I'm aware that I will then have to wait a whole year before I can reapply for university. Or not? Is there some way of submitting an application now - before I drop out of my current university, and getting an offer through clearing? Or must I completely leave my current university first? Also how will this affect my student finance?? Am I still eligible for all of the finance I currently receive (loan and grant)
Reply 1
I should add I wish to change my course AND my school, so its not as simple as a transfer at the end of the year.
Original post by mairi11
I should add I wish to change my course AND my school, so its not as simple as a transfer at the end of the year.

You can put in a late application now if you wish. Call and ask the universities you are interested in if they will consider you now that the deadline has passed.
:ditto: what CLR said, and do be aware that they can make you a conditional offer based on this year's grades, so don't start slacking now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You can put in a late application now if you wish. Call and ask the universities you are interested in if they will consider you now that the deadline has passed.

Would I apply directly to universities or through UCAS? :smile:
Original post by mairi11
Would I apply directly to universities or through UCAS? :smile:

You need to go through Ucas just as before, but call the universities to ask them if it's worth applying, since Ucas don't know if the courses are closed to new applicants unless the universities tell them so, and it's not always a priority for them to keep Ucas up to date.
Reply 6
Original post by mairi11
Okay so I am currently in university, first year - but I am wholly dissatisfied with my course, its nearly the last term at university but I honestly don't feel I can get through the last term. I'm certain I want to leave at the end of this year - but I'm aware that I will then have to wait a whole year before I can reapply for university. Or not? Is there some way of submitting an application now - before I drop out of my current university, and getting an offer through clearing? Or must I completely leave my current university first? Also how will this affect my student finance?? Am I still eligible for all of the finance I currently receive (loan and grant)

if you drop out before the end of the semester you will have to give back some of the grant on a pro rata basis- so student finance will determine how much you owe them. You wouldn't be eligible for your next payment of student finance after easter. If you dropped out after easter but before the end of the year then again student finance would work out how much grant you would have to pay back.
Have you spoken to your Personal Tutor about how you are feeling? If you haven't then go and do it.

Firstly, they need to know you are unhappy there, secondly, they will be able to help you with practical advice about what to do next, and finally, you need to keep them on your side as you will need a reference from your current Uni.
Reply 8
Original post by returnmigrant
Have you spoken to your Personal Tutor about how you are feeling? If you haven't then go and do it.

Firstly, they need to know you are unhappy there, secondly, they will be able to help you with practical advice about what to do next, and finally, you need to keep them on your side as you will need a reference from your current Uni.

I'm going to talk to him tomorrow, thanks for the advice to you and to everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending