The Student Room Group

Why are so many radical feminists vegetarian/vegan?

Yes, I know not all, I said many, calm down. But there seems to be a very high percentage compared to the general population.

Scroll to see replies

Many left wing people are vegetarian or vegan. There's this radical idea that other living creatures have rights too.

And no, I'm not vegetarian. Just this question could have been answered with a little common sense
Reply 2
Really? I've never discovered any rad fems around vegan events, the primary sort of crazy is still crazy hippy.

However generally, I find vegans are more aware of equality issues as many come at it from an animal rights/equality perspective and generally if you take an interest in one sort of equality then you end up learning/caring about another. So if it is the case I'd assume it's linked to that.
Reply 3
I guess if you want equal rights for animals you are going to have pretty radical ideals on equality
Original post by BKS
Really? I've never discovered any rad fems around vegan events, the primary sort of crazy is still crazy hippy.

However generally, I find vegans are more aware of equality issues as many come at it from an animal rights/equality perspective and generally if you take an interest in one sort of equality then you end up learning/caring about another. So if it is the case I'd assume it's linked to that.

He brands all feminists as radical feminists haha, that's why you;re confused. He thinks I'm one :erm:
Reply 5
Original post by BKS

By radical I don't mean the crazy red-haired ones yelling in public, but any feminists who believes in the patriarchal conspiracy.

Radical feminism is a perspective within feminism that focuses on the hypothesis of patriarchy as a system of power that organizes society into a complex of relationships based on the assertion that male supremacy oppresses women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_feminism
Reply 6
Because they happen to not like eating any animal products.
Reply 7
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
He brands all feminists as radical feminists haha, that's why you;re confused. He thinks I'm one :erm:

ah in which case, yes lots of feminists are vegetarian or vegan

I think radical feminists would be pretty unwelcome if they started expressing their views at most vegans things I've been to
Reply 8
Original post by jamieTT
By radical I don't mean the crazy red-haired ones yelling in public, but any feminists who believes in the patriarchal conspiracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_feminism

Yes, I know what radical feminism is
No I did mean animals. Oh that's interesting, can you explain why you're vegan then? I'm curious
Reply 10
Original post by BKS
Yes, I know what radical feminism is

Then why'd you change your mind? It's not my personal definition as Tyrone claims, it's the literal definition.

Original post by BKS

Original post by BKS
ah in which case, yes lots of feminists are vegetarian or vegan

I think radical feminists would be pretty unwelcome if they started expressing their views at most vegans things I've been to
Reply 11
If a person can escape conformity in one area, they can probably do so in another area too.
(edited 10 years ago)
I once read a book that claimed women were able to understand the suffering of animals better as they are in an oppressed position themselves. I found it a little crazy as I don't think the oppression of women is on the same level as the oppression of animals. I think the reason is the type of person who is likely to care about women's issues and adopt a position that is not always popular, is also more likely to have a strong opinion on the suffering of animals.

Edit: I'm just guessing but I think that more vegans are feminists than feminists are vegans. There are more feminists than vegans for a start, and veganism is the more radical position as if they support animal liberation they probably support women's equality as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Fair enough. :smile: I have similar ideas, but much less to the extent, which is why I only eat sustainably sourced fish and free range eggs etc. I used to be vegetarian but I have a couple of illnesses which were made worse by it. So I do what I can
Reply 14
Original post by miser
Conservativism promotes conformity to the status quo; being able to escape conformity in one area predicts the ability to do so in others.

Yes, but I think in many cases it is rebelling for the sake of it. I've also seen other theories like eating meat being associated with ''manliness'' and how they also identify with the animals since they are also victims of the patriarchy (men doing the hunting, butchering etc).

I've been a vegan since around 2000 and veggie a few more years back.
Why are so many Guardian readers? Because it's generally a more leftie thing to be feminist and also a more leftie thing to be veggie.

Why are so many who are anti benefits pro military? The two are both generally right wing opinions.
Reply 16
Fair enough. :smile: I have similar ideas, but much less to the extent, which is why I only eat sustainably sourced fish and free range eggs etc. I used to be vegetarian but I have a couple of illnesses which were made worse by it. So I do what I can

Free range eggs are still awful , better than regular ones but still bad. You can actually buy ''moral'' eggs in the UK from a few places and the money is used on the chickens!
Original post by jamieTT
Free range eggs are still awful , better than regular ones but still bad. You can actually buy ''moral'' eggs in the UK from a few places and the money is used on the chickens!

Where? Any info on these? I'd be interested :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by jamieTT
Yes, but I think in many cases it is rebelling for the sake of it. I've also seen other theories like eating meat being associated with ''manliness'' and how they also identify with the animals since they are also victims of the patriarchy (men doing the hunting, butchering etc).

I've been a vegan since around 2000 and veggie a few more years back.

Could be. I'm a feminist because I believe gender shouldn't determine a person's rights, and I'm a vegetarian because I see unnecessary killing and suffering to be evil. Why I believe these things while others do not is a difficult question however.
Reply 19
Where? Any info on these? I'd be interested :smile:

They sell cow milk as well, all the money is used on the animals and their awww ''retirement'' .

http://www.goodfoodnation.co.uk/cow-nation.php

http://www.goodfoodnation.co.uk/hen-nation.php

There was also this lady running a sanctuary near Brighton. She used to sell them through Infinity Foods. Aww, I loved Infinity, anyone here been there?

Found it: http://www.henheaven.org/

Quick Reply

Latest