The Student Room Group

Legal drinking age in restaurants

Does anyone know the real legal drinking ages for different situations, especially in restaurants? I am 14 (nearly 15) and sometimes my mum will buy a Smirnoff Ice or a Blue WKD when we are out eating in a restaurant. I look quite old for my age, so nobody has ever questioned it. But the other day, i went out with my mum and some family who were visiting. My cousin is also 14 but he actually looks 14. He wanted a small shandy to try, so his mum bought it for him. She had to pretend that it was for her despite saying at 14 you can drink alcohol in a restuarnt while eating. At this point i also got a WKD.

I am confused now, i know i am probably not allowed WKD anywhere on licensed premises at 14 but i am unsure on the legal rules.

I have looked on the internet but i cant seem to find any straight-forward facts. It all seems to be a lot of jargon. Thanks :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought it was that you could drink wine or beer with a meal when you're 16 but you're not allowed spirits. But I'm probably wrong.
Reply 2
You're allowed to drink wine, beer or cider with a meal in Scotland if you are over 16. As far as I'm aware though, in England you're not allowed the wine - but it's unlikely anyone will complain as I've been drinking wine in restaurants since about 12.
foxo
You're allowed to drink wine, beer or cider with a meal in Scotland if you are over 16. As far as I'm aware though, in England you're not allowed the wine - but it's unlikely anyone will complain as I've been drinking wine in restaurants since about 12.

Nah come on... I'm sure you're allowed the wine. Anyway, cider is technically wine, isn't it?

Alcopops with a meal... eww!
Reply 4
thefish_uk
Anyway, cider is technically wine, isn't it?

Err, no. Last I heard apples aren't grown in vineyards, cider is called "cider", wine is called "wine" and the sort of person who drinks white lightning isn't familiar with the term "quaffable". It's like saying brandy is the same as vodka because they're spirits.
Reply 5
Since the introduction of the Licensing Act 2003, there has been a lot of confusion over drinks with meals as the Law concerning ages changed.

The Law as it stands is...

The Licensing Act 2003 makes it an offence: to sell alcohol to an individual aged under 18; to purchase alcohol on behalf of an individual aged under 18; and for an individual aged under 18 to consume alcohol on relevant premises.

The only exception is that 16 and 17 year olds may drink beer, wine or cider with a table meal in relevant premises, where accompanied by an adult aged 18 years or over.
Bar snacks will not count as a table meal.

So unfortunately Bexy, your Mum is breaking the Law by buying you the drink, and you are breaking the Law by drinking it.
Reply 6
simeon
So unfortunately Bexy, your Mum is breaking the Law by buying you the drink, and you are breaking the Law by drinking it.

oops..... :redface:
Reply 7
Nobody should be allowed alcopops, ever.
Reply 8
Straas
Nobody should be allowed alcopops, ever.

Why is that?
Reply 9
because they are vile.
Reply 10
Yeah, that ^
Reply 11
yeah, firstly, WKD, lol.

secondly, THIS THREAD IS A COMPLETE RIP-OFF OF MINE. shame on you.
Reply 12
Why you would want to drink something like WKD with your meal is beyond me.
Reply 13
chewwy
secondly, THIS THREAD IS A COMPLETE RIP-OFF OF MINE. shame on you.

really... what's the thread? :confused:

Edit: I found it... i actually looked at the times (i am that sad) and mine was 4 hours before you! hahahaha... only joking :biggrin:

kirstinx
Why you would want to drink something like WKD with your meal is beyond me.

Well it was kinda before the meal, i had drunk it before the meal came and then i just had water. So i suppose it wasnt really with a meal :smile:
Bexy*at*your*service
really... what's the thread? :confused:

Edit: I found it... i actually looked at the times (i am that sad) and mine was 4 hours before you! hahahaha... only joking :biggrin:

Well it was kinda before the meal, i had drunk it before the meal came and then i just had water. So i suppose it wasnt really with a meal :smile:

Therefore you've deffo broken the law, as you have to be 18 or older to drink alcohol without a meal...
Reply 15
guitargirl03
Therefore you've deffo broken the law, as you have to be 18 or older to drink alcohol without a meal...

What i was saying was that we had ordered the meal, but it had taken about 45 mins to come, and by that time i had already finished the drink :smile: But i am still breaking the law :redface:
I heard that the drinking age on a private premises e.g. at your house, with your parents permission and supervision is 5 years old!
foxo
Err, no. Last I heard apples aren't grown in vineyards, cider is called "cider", wine is called "wine" and the sort of person who drinks white lightning isn't familiar with the term "quaffable". It's like saying brandy is the same as vodka because they're spirits.

I thought "wine" was technically a generic term used for a drink which was made by fermenting a fruit but not in the mood for argument! Seems different people have different opinions.

And yes I agree with people saying alcopops are vile. Though I'll drink one, I don't see the point of them.
Reply 18
From Wikipedia, just cos I'm bored...

Wine is an alcoholic beverage produced by the fermentation of the juice of grapes. Although a number of other fruits - such as plum, elderberry and blackcurrant - may also be fermented, only grapes are naturally chemically balanced to ferment completely without requiring additional sugars, acids, enzymes or other nutrients. Non-grape wines are called fruit wine or country wine. Other products made from starch based materials, such as barley wine, rice wine, and sake, are technically beers. Beverages made from other fermentable material such as honey (mead), or that are distilled, such as brandy, are not wines. The English word wine and its equivalents in other languages are protected by law in many jurisdictions.
16 with a meal

Quick Reply

Latest