The Student Room Group

Funding for access courses?

I was wondering if it was possible to get an access course funded if I have already studied at university before. I got to my third year of a modern languages degree and had to go on medical leave, now my university want me to repeat my year abroad and I really can't afford it, nor did I particularly enjoy my course anyway. I was thinking of going back and doing a midwifery degree, because I know the NHS pay the fees for that and I think it would be something I enjoy, however I have no science A levels so I would need to do an access course in order to be accepted. I know the rule for student finance is the entire length of your course +1 year so I still have 2 years of funding left, however I am unsure if I can use this to fund an access course, and will the NHS still pay my fees?

Sorry for wall of text but I'm completely clueless when it comes to this.
Reply 1
I'm afraid Student Finance doesn't cover Access courses and neither does NHS funding.

If you're 24 or over, you can apply for a 24+ Loan, which is designed to help with courses which are slightly lower than uni level:
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans/overview
Original post by Klix88
I'm afraid Student Finance doesn't cover Access courses and neither does NHS funding.

If you're 24 or over, you can apply for a 24+ Loan, which is designed to help with courses which are slightly lower than uni level:
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans/overview

Nah, I'm 21. Well ****.
Reply 3
Original post by casanova_lament
I was wondering if it was possible to get an access course funded if I have already studied at university before. I got to my third year of a modern languages degree and had to go on medical leave, now my university want me to repeat my year abroad and I really can't afford it, nor did I particularly enjoy my course anyway. I was thinking of going back and doing a midwifery degree, because I know the NHS pay the fees for that and I think it would be something I enjoy, however I have no science A levels so I would need to do an access course in order to be accepted. I know the rule for student finance is the entire length of your course +1 year so I still have 2 years of funding left, however I am unsure if I can use this to fund an access course, and will the NHS still pay my fees?

Sorry for wall of text but I'm completely clueless when it comes to this.

The student finance rule doesn't apply to NHS degrees- its an exception but they only give a reduced rate maintainance loan anyway (you can apply for an NHS bursary and the NHS pay the fees regardless of how many years of previous study you've had ) however as Klix has pointed out they don't fund access courses.

However there is hope for you- a quick glance has shown me not every uni asks for science A-Levels for midwifery. Anglia Ruskin for example don't specify what subjects you need at A-Level only at GCSE (English, Science, Maths at Grade C) and nor do Middx.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending