The Student Room Group

Psychology buss

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Either he is shy (which is understandable) or he's got a big problem with making eye-contact. I know a guy who'd look at the ground when approaching me. Even when we're talking, he doesn't look at me straight in the eyes looool :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by arfah
Not that I'm aware off. I'm curious though would it make a difference if he was muslim? :confused:

Well,muslim guys are not supposed to really look at /look into the eyes of other females(other than female family members) its like a rule in islam ,sort of.same goes for females,its the idea of "lowering your gaze"

...so maybe it could be that hes just really religious !:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps he is on the autistic spectrum? I do this a lot.
This unfortunately happens to me when I talk to 10/10s.

I try and blur my eyes, but then don't concentrate on what they're on about :P

OP are you 10/10 :u:
Could just be in a low-mood. How I get sometimes. Or self-conscious. If he is a little shy, or self-conscious, do your best to assure and break him out of it without drawing attention to it, if he doesn't budge then move on. You need the eye contact man, so much can be delivered through eyes alone.
maybe he's shy and he likes you
Reply 26
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
My partner has Asperger's Syndrome and this is a symptom - although he can look me in the eyes now. He couldn't at the beginning, and there are very few people who he can.

Can confirm I am the same.

It's not just autism though, sometimes it's down to shyness. I just find it awkward to maintain eye contact. How do you maintain eye contact without it being forced anyway?
Reply 27
Original post by jam277
Can confirm I am the same.

It's not just autism though, sometimes it's down to shyness. I just find it awkward to maintain eye contact. How do you maintain eye contact without it being forced anyway?

Not sure why you are using forced as a negative here of course its forced to some level but it's a good sign of confidence and shows that you are paying attention to the person you are speaking with and engaged in the conversation the more you do it the more natural it becomes and over time it will not be a forced behaviour. Obviously you don't do it with everyone and don't let it turn into a stare it's about showing that you actually find that person interesting.

As for the OP perhaps the guy is just shy and does not have the confidence to look at a woman he likes or you may be right and he finds you unattractive but then I would question why he would be wasting time with a woman he has no attraction to. Guess you have to make a choice whether you want to continue getting to know him in the hope that he changes his behaviour or not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Some people don't like making eye contact with new people. even i find it kinda awkward keeping eye contact with someone for more than 10s when talking to him/her.
Reply 29
Original post by Chlorophile
Not being able to look into someone's eyes does not mean that you're autistic. That is one tiny, tiny part of a massive spectrum.

I'm well aware of that. I actually know a lot about autism. But out of the massive spectrum, that symptom is the most consistent one pretty much across the board!
He might be an anxious person. Some people don't like making eye contact because they find it too direct or piercing. Or he might just be distracted easily ; P
Reply 31
Original post by Mancini
Not sure why you are using forced as a negative here of course its forced to some level but it's a good sign of confidence and shows that you are paying attention to the person you are speaking with and engaged in the conversation the more you do it the more natural it becomes and over time it will not be a forced behaviour. Obviously you don't do it with everyone and don't let it turn into a stare it's about showing that you actually find that person interesting.

As for the OP perhaps the guy is just shy and does not have the confidence to look at a woman he likes or you may be right and he finds you unattractive but then I would question why he would be wasting time with a woman he has no attraction to. Guess you have to make a choice whether you want to continue getting to know him in the hope that he changes his behaviour or not.

That's the thing.

When I force looking into someones eyes it feels like a stare. My mate does it to me and it's kinda freaky staring back.
Reply 32
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Or, he could be like me and doesn't make eye contact because he is nervous, or just generally a shy person. I tend to stare anywhere but eyes, I can make eye contact for a few seconds but usually end up staring so where around/close to the eyes. Be thankful he's not giving you a frickin creepy ass stare down or anything :tongue:

Youve only met, give him time to be more comfortable :tongue:

This, im pretty shy and probably won't look in a girls' eyes if I don't know her well or if I like her.
Reply 33
Yeah he hates you, sorry :frown:

How are we supposed to bloody know? He may be in love with you, he may just be shy. I highly doubt it's because or how you look.
Original post by arfah
A guy I just met recently seems to always AVOID EYE CONTACT with meee. Even when he talks to me he just blankly stares into space and talks. but It's pissing me off so badly :frown: Sometimes I just feel like asking him if he thinks I'm too ugly for him to look at or something...

Long-term self esteem issue, or not confident with girls, etc
Sounds like he's shy. I'm shy and I struggle with eye contact sometimes.
Reply 36
Original post by jam277
That's the thing.

When I force looking into someones eyes it feels like a stare. My mate does it to me and it's kinda freaky staring back.

It's all about reading the person you are talking to, reading how comfortable they are with you when looking directly in their eyes for the most part most women I know who I do this with seem to respond quite well and it just feels like you are having a much deeper conversation and showing them that you are taking what they are saying in. Looking away is sort of a sign of shyness, weakness a sort of immaturity.

Once you do it more naturally you will realise you are not actually staring because it's on and off in the way you interact with a person you read their reaction to you and if they are looking back at your eyes it pretty much says they are cool with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending