The Student Room Group

GCSE core science 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by majmuh24
It's pretty obvious when you think of the names, I can't imagine much real effort would be required. Step up does literally that, steps UP the voltage.

My class did, and it certainly helps provide an explanation as to why high voltages and low currents are used. If you mean a full on guide to resistive heating however, that seems like overkill to me XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it's like this. The higher the voltage the higher the current and if theres a higher current then the wires overheat and energy is dissipated to the surroundings?
And step down transformers are useful as the voltage is reduced to a safer voltage for household use.

Soundwaves are faster in denser mediums cos there is more particles in a given volume so more vibration happens i think?

Why do waves travel in straightlines? My teacher said that
Original post by Archaeologist
So it's like this. The higher the voltage the higher the current and if theres a higher current then the wires overheat and energy is dissipated to the surroundings?
And step down transformers are useful as the voltage is reduced to a safer voltage for household use.

Soundwaves are faster in denser mediums cos there is more particles in a given volume so more vibration happens i think?

Why do waves travel in straightlines? My teacher said that

Kind of, it depends what you mean. Power is constant, so higher voltage normally means lower current (assuming that power is constant because P=IV)

Yes, but they are also absorbed more as there are more particles for them to collide with. In general, mechanical waves travel faster in denser mediums.

Fermat's principle states waves will travel the shortest distance possible, which is a straight line. There is a proof for this, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Ikr do you know when the exam results come out and do you go to your school to collect em?

How are you feeling about Physics?

Thursday 21st August is the day for all students around the country (I assume). My school make us go to our school to collect them - which I think is good as I can discuss/compare my results with my friends right there and then. :smile:

I feel 'okay/meh'. I'm prepared but, I'm not that prepared and I still think I could have revised a bit more. How about you?
Original post by yellowcopter
Thursday 21st August is the day for all students around the country (I assume). My school make us go to our school to collect them - which I think is good as I can discuss/compare my results with my friends right there and then. :smile:

I feel 'okay/meh'. I'm prepared but, I'm not that prepared and I still think I could have revised a bit more. How about you?

Cool its the same at my school but i know at some schools they phone and post the certificates.

Fairly prepared :-)done quite a few physics pastpapers so yh just gonna take it as it comes. Are you in year 10 or 11? what are your favourite topics in science?
Reply 84
Original post by vish.handa
Yeah I love chem and physics but not too fond of biology
I actually really loved the chemistry exams thought both c2 and c3 were reasonable. I did however hate the biology exam.
Sleeping -hm depends I mean sometimes I wake up at around 3 but Idk I just go back to sleep. So far I haven't really been stressed but next week I have 9 exams next week so only time will tell 😄 so far I've been pretty chilled. Least fave of core was probably a biology topic healthy eating or pyramids of biomass.
I've got physics and German so four exams on Monday
Posted from TSR Mobile

So you have two physics exams in a day? wow. Good luck with them, which other subjects have you got next week?

I have none till June, so i'm pretty calm. It's the week before an exam when i start to stress.

It must be really hard to revise nine different sections, have you got a proportional timetable?

There's bound to be something on the carbon cycle or biomass pyramid fore core, it's fun to guess what will be in an exam. I looked at last years June core science Biology exam had loads of data questions :-D
Reply 85
Dat logic though

Logic is great stuff :-P
Original post by NathalieGW
Logic is great stuff :-P

Logic is the basis gessoning i think?
Reply 87
Logic is the basis gessoning i think?

Reasoning? Probably :-)

I forgot to wellcome you to the core science thread ;-)

What are your favourite topics? and how well do you think you've done so far?
Reasoning? Probably :-)

I forgot to wellcome you to the core science thread ;-)

What are your favourite topics? and how well do you think you've done so far?

Thank you, i'm honoured to be part of this thread, People here seem pretty friend and ive got some quality feedback ) My favourite topics are crude oil,"ethanol, energy transfers, radioactivity, the carbon cycle, adaptation and habitats :-) you?.
Reply 89
Thank you, i'm honoured to be part of this thread, People here seem pretty friend and ive got some quality feedback ) My favourite topics are crude oil,"ethanol, energy transfers, radioactivity, the carbon cycle, adaptation and habitats :-) you?.

Yep, this is quite a friendly site, you'll meet some great people and for me it's
enhanced my studies.

I'm on a different exam-board, but my f favourite topics are the carbon cycle, waves, convection and conduction, hydrocarbons, reduction of metals and chemical equations XD.

It seems like we both enjoy Carbon Chemistry :-D. I assume you're a fan of radiometric dating and carbon dating?.

If you need any help in any topics feel free to ask me :-)
So you have two physics exams in a day? wow. Good luck with them, which other subjects have you got next week?

I have none till June, so i'm pretty calm. It's the week before an exam when i start to stress.

It must be really hard to revise nine different sections, have you got a proportional timetable?

There's bound to be something on the carbon cycle or biomass pyramid fore core, it's fun to guess what will be in an exam. I looked at last years June core science Biology exam had loads of data questions :-D

Thank you !:smile:and yeah all the additional and triple are one after the other. My hand killed after them. Next week i have German listening and reading, physics add and triple on monday.
Tuesday- English literature - books (the easier lit exam)
Wednesday -business studies unit 1`
thurday geography unit 2 and English lit - poetry(not fun)
Friday - systems and control

Timetable wise we still have to be in school !! we have an "examinations timetable" which is absolutely terrible. On Monday i have exam exam lesson exam exam. We do get some home study sessions but not enough.I want to be able to revise what i like not have to stick to the timetabled rules. Yeah and i wouldn't be surprised if AQA try to make the questions in your paper obscure like with our biology or just so simple that its hard to explain like in the geography exam. Luckily there is only a week left of this then i have only got 4 exams over the space of 2 weeks after half term. Then its party time:colone:. Have you got mocks this year too?
(edited 9 years ago)
Can't remember what the six mark question for c1 and b1 were this year? Does anyone remember?
Reply 92
Thank you !:smile:and yeah all the additional and triple are one after the other. My hand killed after them. Next week i have German listening and reading, physics add and triple on monday.
Tuesday- English literature - books (the easier lit exam)
Wednesday -business studies unit 1`
thurday geography unit 2 and English lit - poetry(not fun)
Friday - systems and control

Timetable wise we still have to be in school !! we have an "examinations timetable" which is absolutely terrible. On Monday i have exam exam lesson exam exam. We do get some home study sessions but not enough.I want to be able to revise what i like not have to stick to the timetabled rules. Yeah and i wouldn't be surprised if AQA try to make the questions in your paper obscure like with our biology or just so simple that its hard to explain like in the geography exam. Luckily there is only a week left of this then i have only got 4 exams over the space of 2 weeks after half term. Then its party time:colone:. Have you got mocks this year too?

At my school we had our mocks in April, which is ridiculous are there soo many topics in the mocks which we hadn't even covered.

For my mocks i got an A in core science (A* for Chemistry, A for Physics and A in Biology) i'm more fluid now though, so i might do even better in June. I got an A* in Geography, A* in English Language, A* in Maths, C in RS, B in Computer Science and C in History :-) so i'm chuffed about the results.

That's unlucky, we get an hours free time after an exam. I'm sitting English Language on June 3rd. Between June 3rd and 9th i have 6 exams and that's pretty much it.
Cool its the same at my school but i know at some schools they phone and post the certificates.

Fairly prepared :-)done quite a few physics pastpapers so yh just gonna take it as it comes. Are you in year 10 or 11? what are your favourite topics in science?

Yeah, my school don't do that. :tongue: Year 11, and Physics P2 is my favourite unit of them all. I find electrostatics and force/motion really interesting I suppose. :smile:
At my school we had our mocks in April, which is ridiculous are there soo many topics in the mocks which we hadn't even covered.

For my mocks i got an A in core science (A* for Chemistry, A for Physics and A in Biology) i'm more fluid now though, so i might do even better in June. I got an A* in Geography, A* in English Language, A* in Maths, C in RS, B in Computer Science and C in History :-) so i'm chuffed about the results.

That's unlucky, we get an hours free time after an exam. I'm sitting English Language on June 3rd. Between June 3rd and 9th i have 6 exams and that's pretty much it.

Those are great results for mocks! Sounds good and looks like your set for a bright future.
Reply 95
Original post by Arithmeticae
Kind of, it depends what you mean. Power is constant, so higher voltage normally means lower current (assuming that power is constant because P=IV)

Yes, but they are also absorbed more as there are more particles for them to collide with. In general, mechanical waves travel faster in denser mediums.

Fermat's principle states waves will travel the shortest distance possible, which is a straight line. There is a proof for this, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Huh, you changed your name?
Reply 96
Those are great results for mocks! Sounds good and looks like your set for a bright future.

Thanks, I think i would probably cry if i opened my results card and saw at-least one A* on it :smile:
Reply 97
I'm officially a threadstarter on tsr now :biggrin:
Huh, you changed your name?
Yep :ninja:
I'm officially a threadstarter on tsr now :biggrin:

I just casually hover in and out to see if anything interesting has happened :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending