The Student Room Group

GCSE core science 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NathalieGW
Thanks, I think i would probably cry if i opened my results card and saw at-least one A* on it :smile:

You can do it :smile: I'm worse academically than you and i'm hoping for A*s in some atm!
Reply 101
Original post by CJaymyers98
I just casually hover in and out to see if anything interesting has happened :wink:

You made the 100th post, well done XD
Reply 102
Original post by vish.handa
You can do it :smile: I'm worse academically than you and i'm hoping for A*s in some atm!

Which subjects are you hoping for A*s in?
You made the 100th post, well done XD

OMG I really didn't notice, darn i would have gloated about it :-( ah well.
Reply 104
Original post by CJaymyers98
OMG I really didn't notice, darn i would have gloated about it :-( ah well.

Well perhaps it's a good thing you didn't know :-P
Yep, this is quite a friendly site, you'll meet some great people and for me it's
enhanced my studies.

I'm on a different exam-board, but my f favourite topics are the carbon cycle, waves, convection and conduction, hydrocarbons, reduction of metals and chemical equations XD.

It seems like we both enjoy Carbon Chemistry :-D. I assume you're a fan of radiometric dating and carbon dating?.

If you need any help in any topics feel free to ask me :-)

Yes i love radiometric dating, radiocarbon dating in particular, i know a lot it, the techniqus involved such as spectroscopy, emissions etc :-D

I have researched a lot of archaeology cases where these techniques have been used literally ask me anything about archaeological research :-P
Which subjects are you hoping for A*s in?

My main ones i want are add and tripe science, control systems, maybe business studies, maths and geography. I need an a* in maths as an entry requirement for the sixth form I applied to.
My parents are also giving me money based on my grades and i can get a bonus added to it of £300!!!! if i get 5 a* but if i get anything below a C i lose all the money or i could just go for the simple way of getting x amount for a* etc and only lose £50 for a D. :colone: Its just German because i don't know if i did enough for a C today. Physics went well though:biggrin:
Reply 107
Original post by Archaeologist
Yes i love radiometric dating, radiocarbon dating in particular, i know a lot it, the techniqus involved such as spectroscopy, emissions etc :-D

I have researched a lot of archaeology cases where these techniques have been used literally ask me anything about archaeological research :-P

That's really cool, i wish i knew more about Archaeology. It would help as i'm taking GCSE History.

Archaeology is very diverse right?
Have you ever been to an Archaeology lab or exhibition?.
That's really cool, i wish i knew more about Archaeology. It would help as i'm taking GCSE History.

Archaeology is very diverse right?
Have you ever been to an Archaeology lab or exhibition?.

Archaeology is very cultural and diversed and having an historical knowledge is essential :-) I have been to several exhibitions and excavations as well as visits to geological digs
Reply 109
My main ones i want are add and tripe science, control systems, maybe business studies, maths and geography. I need an a* in maths as an entry requirement for the sixth form I applied to.
My parents are also giving me money based on my grades and i can get a bonus added to it of £300!!!! if i get 5 a* but if i get anything below a C i lose all the money or i could just go for the simple way of getting x amount for a* etc and only lose £50 for a D. :colone: Its just German because i don't know if i did enough for a C today. Physics went well though:biggrin:

That's a great incentive. What kind of questions were in the Physics exam?.
For the college i want to go to, the entry requirements are a minimum of 5Bs and for Maths you only need an, however for Further-Maths you need an A*, for pure Maths you also need an A*.

One of my friends is doing Pure Maths, Further Maths, Maths and Physics :-O

On results day my parents taking me to my favourite resturant :-D.
That's a great incentive. What kind of questions were in the Physics exam?.
For the college i want to go to, the entry requirements are a minimum of 5Bs and for Maths you only need an, however for Further-Maths you need an A*, for pure Maths you also need an A*.

One of my friends is doing Pure Maths, Further Maths, Maths and Physics :-O

On results day my parents taking me to my favourite resturant :-D.

Physics exam: they were quite stereotypical of an exam tbh. They asked about static electricity, a lot of equations , terminal velocity, momentum , circuits etc pretty simple stuff p2 was pretty simple overall tbh so was p3 too but a couple of questions threw me off overall my sciences went well :colone:
Those are crazy requirements :yy: you can do it though
Sounds good - hopefully someone has an exams results party :sexface:
Reply 111
Physics exam: they were quite stereotypical of an exam tbh. They asked about static electricity, a lot of equations , terminal velocity, momentum , circuits etc pretty simple stuff p2 was pretty simple overall tbh so was p3 too but a couple of questions threw me off overall my sciences went well :colone:
Those are crazy requirements :yy: you can do it though
Sounds good - hopefully someone has an exams results party :sexface:

Sounds like quite a good paper, i'm really excited and intrigued as to what will be in my exams :-D

Have you got any tips on time keeping for core science?, there's 60 marks per paper and 60 minutes, so that means you should spend just under a minute for each mark?.

I finnished my mocks, ten minutes before finnish time and so i had a comfortable amount of time to check through my work.

It's a competitive college, that's probably why, to do any a-level course at any given college or sixth form, you need at-least 5 cs. The facilities are great, i had a look around the college in open day.
Sounds like quite a good paper, i'm really excited and intrigued as to what will be in my exams :-D

Have you got any tips on time keeping for core science?, there's 60 marks per paper and 60 minutes, so that means you should spend just under a minute for each mark?.

I finnished my mocks, ten minutes before finnish time and so i had a comfortable amount of time to check through my work.

It's a competitive college, that's probably why, to do any a-level course at any given college or sixth form, you need at-least 5 cs. The facilities are great, i had a look around the college in open day.

Make sure you read the question carefully and if you know your stuff then of course the 1 markers will take seconds rather than a minute and of course 6 markets might take 7 minutes but if you finish early thats fine. For all except physics I finished around 2minutes before the end but take my time answering each question but with physics finished 20 minutes early!
So I would say keep a watch with a timer on your table so you know exactly how much time you have and try split the time equally but don't stop an answer just because its 13 marks and you've taken 14 minutes because in my chemistry paper I got to q3 out of 7 in half an hour and I thought I was running out of time but turns out I was finished 10 mins early.
Sounds tough!
Reply 113
Make sure you read the question carefully and if you know your stuff then of course the 1 markers will take seconds rather than a minute and of course 6 markets might take 7 minutes but if you finish early thats fine. For all except physics I finished around 2minutes before the end but take my time answering each question but with physics finished 20 minutes early!
So I would say keep a watch with a timer on your table so you know exactly how much time you have and try split the time equally but don't stop an answer just because its 13 marks and you've taken 14 minutes because in my chemistry paper I got to q3 out of 7 in half an hour and I thought I was running out of time but turns out I was finished 10 mins early.
Sounds tough!

I think it's important to finnish a good ten minutes beforehand as it's vital to thoroughly check for any mistakes and to be confident with all of your answers. I find that i always finnish fastest in Maths exams, do you?

Speaking of Maths, i just made a GCSE unit 1 Maths thread, so feel free to join in if you're interested ;-) .

I assume the entry equirements are so high because the step up from GCSE to A-level is massive, so they need to ensure that only the most able candidates are enrolled on A-level courses?.

I suppose some of it is also arrogance as colleges are in competition over exam results and so they want to produce the highest grades possible
(edited 9 years ago)
I think it's important to finnish a good ten minutes beforehand as it's vital to thoroughly check for any mistakes and to be confident with all of your answers. I find that i always finnish fastest in Maths exams, do you?

Speaking of Maths, i just made a GCSE unit 1 Maths thread, so feel free to join in if you're interested ;-) .

I assume the entry equirements are so high because the step up from GCSE to A-level is massive, so they need to ensure that only the most able candidates are enrolled on A-level courses?.

I suppose some of it is also arrogance as colleges are in competition over exam results and so they want to produce the highest grades possible

Yeah I usually check through after I finish the question I Go back over it then quickly go through at the end for 5 minutes.
In maths there is usually one or two questions I can't do so in finish really early except for these then I spend 30 minutes doing these 5 mark questions till the end until I get them
Reply 115
Yeah I usually check through after I finish the question I Go back over it then quickly go through at the end for 5 minutes.
In maths there is usually one or two questions I can't do so in finish really early except for these then I spend 30 minutes doing these 5 mark questions till the end until I get them

Well i've done as much revision i can handle. I am fluent in every topic and confident in how to do core science exam papers, so all i can do now is relax.

My Biology exam is on the 4th, and i have an IGCSE exam on the 3rd and another on the 6th, so i'm not too nervous about next week ;-)

Biology is the hardest section of Core Science for me, but i'm not going to let that put me down. I suppose i'm more anxious about My two French IGSE exams.
Well i've done as much revision i can handle. I am fluent in every topic and confident in how to do core science exam papers, so all i can do now is relax.

My Biology exam is on the 4th, and i have an IGCSE exam on the 3rd and another on the 6th, so i'm not too nervous about next week ;-)

Biology is the hardest section of Core Science for me, but i'm not going to let that put me down. I suppose i'm more anxious about My two French IGSE exams.

I guess once you know the topics there is not much else you can do :smile: i guess just learn style of questions and then you are sorted ! biology seems to be the hardest for me too because it is a much more wide subject so they can ask more random questions. I hated languages and tbh have no advice for them sorry once you've done all your subjects you never have to do the ones you like ever again :biggrin: like me with German. Good luck on your exams :wink:
Reply 117
I guess once you know the topics there is not much else you can do :smile: i guess just learn style of questions and then you are sorted ! biology seems to be the hardest for me too because it is a much more wide subject so they can ask more random questions. I hated languages and tbh have no advice for them sorry once you've done all your subjects you never have to do the ones you like ever again :biggrin: like me with German. Good luck on your exams :wink:

Thank you, how have your exams been going and how many do you have left?.

I seem to be getting more excited by the day :biggrin:
Thank you, how have your exams been going and how many do you have left?.

I seem to be getting more excited by the day :biggrin:

Sorry didn't see the notifications for 3 weeks ! finished all my exams and all went pretty well except hay fever played up a bit in last exam for maths. How many exams you had so far and how did they go ??
Reply 119
Sorry didn't see the notifications for 3 weeks ! finished all my exams and all went pretty well except hay fever played up a bit in last exam for maths. How many exams you had so far and how did they go ??

Ahh that's good to hear. Sorry to hear about the hayfever

French was so difficult there was just soo much to remember, I did badly in the first exam but decent in the second one.

Unit 1 Maths went really well, there were the topics which I'm best at; histograms, tree diagrams, cumulative frequency, pie charts.

My Core Science exams went well, although I didn't think the Chemistry exam wasn't fair, but the grade boundary will probably be about 40/60 for an A*. I think I may have gotten an A* overall :-)

So now I can chill :-D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending