The Student Room Group

Law 2007 - Where are you applying?

As it's results day tomorrow everyone will probably decide on what universities to apply to, so where are you applying? Use the following format!

AS Grades:
Choice 1: (university, course and requirement)
Choice 2: (university, course and requirement)
Choice 3: (university, course and requirement)
Choice 4: (university, course and requirement)
Choice 5: (university, course and requirement)
Choice 6: (university, course and requirement)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck to those getting their results tomorrow - I remember vividly how nerve wracking it is :eek:
Reply 2
Lol - I will tell you tomorrow! If I don't get good grades, I think a Law Degree is off!
From the ones I have visited I really like Sheffield and Leicester but I still need to visit quite a few.
Reply 3
LucyMP
Good luck to those getting their results tomorrow - I remember vividly how nerve wracking it is :eek:

I'm weirdly not that nervous yet. As opposed to last year (GCSEs) where I wasn't getting any sleep like the week before :P

..But I got pooed on by a bird today (luckily just on my hand) for the first time ever and exactly 24hours (yes exactly) before I can collect my results. So yeah I'm taking it as good luck :P
Good luck to everybody who is getting results tomorrow.
The day soon fades into memory for most people.
Reply 5
Yay I think I got enough to do a Law Degree. Got an A in Law and an A in 16th Century History (290 out of 300!?!) and two Bs in English and Geography. Kinda stuck what to do now though as I was expecting to drop English because I didn't even finish the exam paper and dropped like 25marks (I counted what I'd missed out) of a question. I might now actually retake the English and try and get an A if I can get a B with not evening finishing the paper. On the other hand, Geog is more interesting.

Any ideas what combination Unis would prefer: Law, English, Hist or Law, Geog, Hist? (Or would they not have a preference)

Kinda need to rethink what Unis I will be looking at now as well..As I was attending the Keele open day on Sunday..I didn't think I'd do that well..
Cardiff starting in 2007- UNCONDITIONAL :smile:
Reply 7
AS Grades: AAAAB (B in Critical Thinking)

Choice 1: Cambridge
Choice 2: Bristol
Choice 3: London School of Economics
Choice 4: University College London
Choice 5: Birmingham
Choice 6: King's College London
Reply 8
Serenity
Any ideas what combination Unis would prefer: Law, English, Hist or Law, Geog, Hist? (Or would they not have a preference)

Geography and English are both academic subjects and I really don't think it would matter which you selected. That is assuming you are talking about English Literature and not English Language. If English Language I would, personally, choose Geography instead. :smile:
Reply 9
seaspray
Geography and English are both academic subjects and I really don't think it would matter which you selected. That is assuming you are talking about English Literature and not English Language. If English Language I would, personally, choose Geography instead. :smile:

English Literature and Language..
Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 10
AS Grades: N/A Doing the full course this year.
Choice 1: KCL, Law, AABb + LNAT
Choice 2: UCL, Law, AAA + LNAT
Choice 3: QMUL, Law, AAB
Choice 4: SOAS, Law, AAA
Choice 5: QMUL, Law + Politics, BBB
Choice 6: No idea, any suggestions?
kirstinx
AS Grades: N/A Doing the full course this year.
Choice 1: KCL, Law, AABb + LNAT
Choice 2: UCL, Law, AAA + LNAT
Choice 3: QMUL, Law, AAB
Choice 4: SOAS, Law, AAA
Choice 5: No idea, any suggestions?
Choice 6: No idea, any suggestions?

How about a university outside of London?
Contrary to what many people think this area does exist and it has some of the best universities in the country.
For your other choices, I think some of the following might be good options: Birmingham, Leicester, Sheffield, Newcastle.
Reply 12
There was a reason behind the unis being in London.
Reply 13
I wont get into LSE.:frown:
AS Grades: AAAB plus an A in General Studies
Choice 1: Cambridge, Law, AAA
Choice 2: UCL, Law, AAA
Choice 3: Durham, Law, AAA
Choice 4: KCL, Law, AAB
Choice 5: Bristol, Law, AAA
Choice 6: Nottingham, Law, AAA
Reply 15
AS Grades: AAAA (C) In german which i was totally unready for and the school forced us to do it a yr early.

Choice 1: Cambridge/oxford (not sure) Law
Choice 2: UCL, Law
Choice 3: KCL, Law
Choice 4: Nottingham, Law
Choice 5: LSE, Law
Choice 6: dunno....i kinda want a uni away from london.
Reply 16
i dont know about anyone else reading these posts but i fear for some of you AS folk. Law is an extremely competitive degree with extremely high requirements and tough competition for places, and im sure you all understand this. However, remember you are allowed 1 firm choice and 1 insurance, if i could offer any advice this would be to find a University, with entry requirements lower than your average 3 A's so your not stuck for clearing. I cant be sure as i havent gone down this path, but i think that it is extremely unlikely that most AAA universitys will enter clearing for law as its such a popular undergraduate course. So when i see you guys writing Cambridge/Oxford, Durham, Notts, Bristol, Ucl/Kcl e.t.c i just hope you remember, 4 A's at AS-level does not get you an offer, watch the news, thousands of others have the exact same thing. My advice is apply where you believe you are more than capable of getting an offer, and then start with your Oxbridge, University London, Notts choices, but dont leave yourself needing your 3 A's or rejected next year.

anyway, regardless of any of the above, i wish all of you the best of luck with your Ucas applications and hope you achieve what you want!

dan

:smile:
Yea I was thinking the same, no-one appears willing to go for a lesser uni and it is common knowledge that often if your form is in in time for the oxbridge deadlines unis such as bristol and durham and warwick are more likely to reject you as they dont like to be seen as second best and a mere "insurance" next to oxbridge if you see. They will make offers to those they hope will eventually actually study at their unis. I had AAAA in phys, chem, hist and maths and I got sent home by cambridge, durham and warwick and its not like im a geek either, my personal statement was strong ... i had swimming to a national championship level, tennis and cricket for the county and other things too such as debating and all that gash. I am sure that me applying to cambridge had something to do with the other two, and tbh if i could go back and do it again I wouldnt apply to cambridge. I would go for bristol or LSE or somewhere like that, UCL maybe. Cambridge is as much a lottery as it is skill as so many ppl have 3 As and no-one really knows what tey look for in that interview ... if I could do it again I would also choose a college which had an exam/essay submission as I would have done better at that than astraight interview at the time. But yeah, you should consider throwing one slightly lower in as if they are all AAA offers and ones your insurance its pointless because if you get AAB they will both send you home. I applied to northumbria and sheffield but sheffield had the same offer as nottm so i put northumbria as insurance, even though I was never going to fail to get AAB for nottm, is it AAA now? I have no idea.
kirstinx
I wont get into LSE.:frown:

What makes you think that you could get an offer from UCL but not LSE?

Lewis-HuStuJCR
Yea I was thinking the same, no-one appears willing to go for a lesser uni and it is common knowledge that often if your form is in in time for the oxbridge deadlines unis such as bristol and durham and warwick are more likely to reject you as they dont like to be seen as second best and a mere "insurance" next to oxbridge if you see.

I don't think that this really happens. If the university thinks that you deserve an offer they will make you one. They don't judge you by whether you are applying to an Oxbridge university. Just think of the numerous people that have been rejected from Oxbridge at universities such as Durham, UCL, LSE, Nottingham, Birmingham, Bristol etc..
Also, universities often make more offers than they have places to make sure they 'Fill the seats'.

Quite a few people are applying to all the top universities for Law. Oxbridge, Durham, London Unis, Nottingham, Bristol etc. I think quite a lot of people are thinking that if they apply to lots then you will have more of a chance of getting into one of these top universities. Wrong. Each individual judges you by their own standards, if you don't make the mark they will reject you as simple as that. They don't get to see which universites you are applying to, they won't be able to think, for example, "aaah, this applicant has been rejected from 3 of his choices, so lets make him an offer because there is a bigger chance that he will make it his firm choice.."

Remember you have 6 choices that you can put down.
By all means apply to an Oxbridge university, but for the remainder of your choices, as well as going for 'the next best thing to an Oxbridge university', you should have safety choices as well. By "safety choices" I mean universities whose standard offer is ABB/ABB/BBB.
Reply 19
superdillon
By "safety choices" I mean universities whose standard offer is ABB/ABB/BBB.

What decent, highly regarded universities offer Law with entry requirements below AAB?

If I don't get in to any of my six choices, then I will take a gap year and re-apply the following year. There is no point in me putting down one university with low entrance requirements if I know for a fact that I won't be happy there and could have done so much better.

Latest

Trending

Trending