The Student Room Group

student finance with nhs bursary

Hi, I am entering my 4th year of medicine for 2014/15 (5th year at uni) as I am finishing off an intercalated year at the moment (2013/14).

I am confused about the what funding I am meant to apply for. I've applied for an NHS bursary and have been awarded that and some grant money which is great.

Am I also meant to apply to student finance?
I have gone through the student finance forms online and it says i am eligible for a £1800 maintenance loan (non-income assessed). Also on the form I presume I say I am entering my 5th year at uni right? however in the box theres no option for a 6th year of study (if i am to apply the next year)

thanks
Original post by freezin
Hi, I am entering my 4th year of medicine for 2014/15 (5th year at uni) as I am finishing off an intercalated year at the moment (2013/14).

I am confused about the what funding I am meant to apply for. I've applied for an NHS bursary and have been awarded that and some grant money which is great.

Am I also meant to apply to student finance?
I have gone through the student finance forms online and it says i am eligible for a £1800 maintenance loan (non-income assessed). Also on the form I presume I say I am entering my 5th year at uni right? however in the box theres no option for a 6th year of study (if i am to apply the next year)

thanks

You can also apply for SFE, £1800 sounds about right as the NHS bursary wipes out any income-assessed loan/grant you might have previously got. Yup, it's your 5th year. I don't recall exactly what it said when I applied for my sixth year, but I presume it isn't offering you the chance to say it's a 6th year because it knows that you're currently getting your fourth year of finance.
Hi,

You ought to contact the finance dept at your medical school as this isn't quite right.

If you are entering your fourth year of medical school, but it is your fifth year of study you should get the "Full Year reduced rate" for student loan. This is around £2,200 not £1,800 (which is the "final year reduced rate"). I expect student finance is thinking you are in your final year, not your fourth year. You need to try and change your application on student finance to fourth year. For some reason they changed the way they do the application so you can't say you started in your original year (2010) and put down fourth year, it automatically thinks it is your fifth year!

I found my student finance department to be very helpful as they contact student finance england directly. Intercalation seems to confuse SFE.

Hopefully that helps.
Reply 3
Hi thanks for the replies. Have just rang up student finance england who saw that I had intercalated. They then said to put down that I will be in my fourth year as that is what it is referring to.

As a result of selecting fourth year, I am eligible for £2300 maintenance loan (non-reduced as it is not the final year). I can also extend the end date of course manually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending