The Student Room Group

Migraines: Can I get support?

(edited 9 years ago)
You are not an independent student as far as SFE are concerned. You are under 25. From the above info you will be assessed off your parents income fir any extra loan or grants above the minimum maintenance loan. You will automatically get the full tuition loan. You will be able to be considered for a university bursary if you qualify for maintenance grants. It will then be down to you to budget for accommodation from that. You may well find that your maintenance award is insufficient. This is because SFE expect parents to make a contribution. If they cannot or won't a part time job may be necessary. Thousands of students find themselves in this position.

You can apply for DSA. You will need to go to be have your needs assessed at a regional centre. This can award allowances to enable you to overcome barriers to study caused by your condition. You may be awarded a laptop. It can also include an allowance for a room. The university may have rooms with sinks or en-suite and that are quieter. Contact your university support department to seek advice. DSA will not make any provision for medicines or treatments. SFE do not care about your phone costs, that will be down to you to budget for. Dental checkouts are your responsibility as they are for everyone. Your DSA can make a book allowance for non core books only. Core readers, needed by everyone are your responsibility.

You do not need to change GP. You can still access GP services at your university. In my case I had a long history of head trauma and did not want my records being moved so stayed with my home town GP. I never had any difficulty accessing GP services in my university town.

You will not be entitled to claim JSA in the summer holidays.
Once you finish your course and your student funding ends round about the June of your final year you will be entitled to claim JSA.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you have any care and /or mobility needs, you may be entitled to PIP. However, this is taking forever to sort out.

If you haven't done so already, you may need to contact your uni to see what help they can offer you.

DSA will only pay for extra costs you have as a disabled student. It won't pay for everyday disability related costs or costs that every other student has.
You could try applying for PIP, but it is taking months to assess new applications and I doubt you would qualify, especially as the old low rate of DLA has been abolished and there are now only two rates.
You can read more here
https://www.gov.uk/pip/overview
Reply 4
Student Finance have decided I qualify as financially independent as I provided necessary documentation and written declarations from two non relative civil servants to confirm the validity of my statements. I have managed to find a summer job and will be selling some possessions to accumulate some savings.
Reply 5
You will likely qualify for support toward prescriptions and NHS dental costs, as well as free eye tests. Most full time students qualify for this on grounds of being on a low income.

If you are awarded PIP (big if) and then you may be entitled to some housing benefit.
As a suffer myself who has experienced hallucinations while having migraines. Also getting them everyday and talking to people that weren't there, my GP finally put me on an anti-epileptic drug (sodium valporate or epilim). That was 10 years ago and (touch wood) I have been migraine free - don't suffer. The GP told me that migraine is the brain going haywire, the drug calms it down.

Good luck,

xx
Reply 7
Original post by gingercat1970
As a suffer myself who has experienced hallucinations while having migraines. Also getting them everyday and talking to people that weren't there, my GP finally put me on an anti-epileptic drug (sodium valporate or epilim). That was 10 years ago and (touch wood) I have been migraine free - don't suffer. The GP told me that migraine is the brain going haywire, the drug calms it down.

Good luck,

xx

That sounds amazing! It's so good to hear you found a medication that works for you. I think I'll ask my GP about sodium valporate/epilim and see what he says. Thank-you for your response and take care. Xx
I currently take an anti-epileptic drug for my migraines too. Imigrain didn't help and I'm now on Gabapentin.
Original post by balotelli12
You are not an independent student as far as SFE are concerned. You are under 25. From the above info you will be assessed off your parents income fir any extra loan or grants above the minimum maintenance loan. You will automatically get the full tuition loan. You will be able to be considered for a university bursary if you qualify for maintenance grants. It will then be down to you to budget for accommodation from that. You may well find that your maintenance award is insufficient. This is because SFE expect parents to make a contribution. If they cannot or won't a part time job may be necessary. Thousands of students find themselves in this position.

You can apply for DSA. You will need to go to be have your needs assessed at a regional centre. This can award allowances to enable you to overcome barriers to study caused by your condition. You may be awarded a laptop. It can also include an allowance for a room. The university may have rooms with sinks or en-suite and that are quieter. Contact your university support department to seek advice. DSA will not make any provision for medicines or treatments. SFE do not care about your phone costs, that will be down to you to budget for. Dental checkouts are your responsibility as they are for everyone. Your DSA can make a book allowance for non core books only. Core readers, needed by everyone are your responsibility.

You do not need to change GP. You can still access GP services at your university. In my case I had a long history of head trauma and did not want my records being moved so stayed with my home town GP. I never had any difficulty accessing GP services in my university town.

You will not be entitled to claim JSA in the summer holidays.
Once you finish your course and your student funding ends round about the June of your final year you will be entitled to claim JSA.

Actually she is independent student as she's been supporting herself for 5 years.

OP first of all go to your gp and get a detailed letter explaining your condition. That way it's ready when SFE asks for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
Actually she is independent student as she's been supporting herself for 5 years.

OP first of all go to your gp and get a detailed letter explaining your condition. That way it's ready when SFE asks for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

SFE only consider that you can have supported yourself if you've earned £7,500 or more for three or more years whilst the OP has lived off less than £6k. However if the OP is estranged from parents that is a different matter.
Original post by jelly1000
SFE only consider that you can have supported yourself if you've earned £7,500 or more for three or more years whilst the OP has lived off less than £6k. However if the OP is estranged from parents that is a different matter.

I've just looked it up again and it didn't say the amount one has to earn. Just said full time employment or claiming benefits. However I was told few years back that the earning was supposed to be about £5000 so don't know.

Estranged would also work if OP have supporting papers from college or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending