The Student Room Group

How do girls feel about being approached in the street?

How do you girls feel about guys approaching you in the street for your number etc? I'm asking because I was in a restaurant a few days ago and there was this girl I really wanted to approach but she was sitting down with her friend and I didn't want to interrupt. Opportunity passed. How do you girls feel if I approached you in that situation? And how do you feel about giving out your number to a guy generally? Both gender's opinion welcome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would personally hate it and be very creeped out and would try and get away asap. I wouldn't give out my number to someone I had literally just met. If it were in the exact same situation you described where I am at a restaurant with a friend and you just came over, I would fine it awkward and rude to be interrupted.

Some girls maybe would like to be randomly approached and some would hate it. Its hit or miss I'm afraid. I can't imagine most girls like being approached by a random stranger asking for their number though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't ever do this. I hate this so much I get scared sometimes. Guys who do this seem creepy. Most girls would never give their numbers to strangers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't give out my number outright like that, but I don't mind talking to a person if they are friendly and sincere and then perhaps we'll progress from there? :smile:
Original post by Yasmin25

Some girls maybe would like to be randomly approached and some would hate it. Its hit or miss I'm afraid. I can't imagine most girls like being approached by a random stranger asking for their number though.

I do this pickup stuff, and girls do give their number if they person asking is decent looking and shows them some respect. I never interrupt a girl who is with her mates, i talk to girls who are by themselves. I comment about their beauty and honestly they all blush and respond positively. I know a few guys with some insane egos who wave their hands infront of girls to stop, i prefer to keep a distance and go infront of the girl trying to respect her private space and be as polite as possible when talking to her. I get to know her a bit, and then ask for her number saying that i would like to get to know her on a deeper level over coffee.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
It needs to be in an appropriate place i.e restaurants and bars etc are probably okay and girls will expect people to approach them there.
If you choose to do it in the wrong place you'll give off the wrong impression. I've had people come up to me just on the street or at the bus stop and ask for my number and in all honesty it scared me more than anything else and so I end up ignoring them and walking off. Other girls would have a go at you and call you a creep. And only a small amount would interact with you normally.
So my advice is that if you really want to approach women, just make sure you're doing it in an appropriate place.
Reply 6
Original post by FoxOnAMission
Don't ever do this. I hate this so much I get scared sometimes. Guys who do this seem creepy. Most girls would never give their numbers to strangers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is it so creepy and why get scared? If you don't want to just say no. No big deal.
(edited 9 years ago)
ask her for the time? then say you like her phone.. lol maybe you can start talking about what phones you like, and how yours just died, but opps lol now its working. do a bit of acting. Yeh if a guy just came up and said 'i like you' it would be 'creepy' so be creative. being chatted up, is flattering for most i think.
Well, you have to meet someone somewhere. It may just happen the love of your life is walking past you in the street... I think most girls find it flattering but pretend they're creeped out.
Reply 9
Original post by Xinho
Why is it so creepy and why get scared? If you don't want to just say no. No big deal. Do you have mental problems?

...what makes you think that a mental problem is the cause of this fear? I once had a guy staring at me at the bus stop for 10 minutes before he approached me, and when I turned him down he just walked off. He was never really waiting for a bus. The fact that he stood there wasting 10 minutes of his life just to watch me is what causes fear in females.
Know that the majority of females would feel the exact same way because approaching women in this way isn't normal.
Every time this has happened to me I've felt uncomfortable. Agreeing with above posters if it's in a social area then I'm more relaxed, but I've had men approach me in the street asking for directions, then trying to get my number and it's caught me off guard. Some of them are so rude when you decline :L
give it a go, what do you have to lose :smile:
If enough guys do it girls will come to accept it and it will no longer be seen as a odd thing to do
Original post by FoxOnAMission

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dramatic much.
I imagine quite awkward. Approaching anyone in the street randomly is a bit strange, I'd be stumped if someone randomly asked me for my number. Fair enough in a pub or something. I find making small talk first and then proceeding works better, you can get the vibe of whether or not the person is reciprocating any interest.
Original post by Swanbow
I imagine quite awkward. Approaching anyone in the street randomly is a bit strange

And jerking off in your bedroom is better than going outside and making a girls day whilst getting her number? Okay mate, next you are going to say you don't even lift.
Original post by siamakdie
And jerking off in your bedroom is better than going outside and making a girls day whilst getting her number? Okay mate, next you are going to say you don't even lift.

Okay mate, you stop every girl you find attractive on the street and ask for their number, we'll see how it goes. Of course it is better to try your luck, but it is all about context. Sometimes it just isn't appropriate. And seeing as my job involves a lot of lifting I think it is safe to say I do, although that is entirely irrelevant to anything.
I also agree with the other posters, I would never give my number out to a random stranger. I find it awkward especially the ones that stalk you home even after you decline several times.
Original post by Swanbow
Okay mate, you stop every girl you find attractive on the street and ask for their number, we'll see how it goes. Of course it is better to try your luck, but it is all about context. Sometimes it just isn't appropriate. And seeing as my job involves a lot of lifting I think it is safe to say I do, although that is entirely irrelevant to anything.

I stop every attractive girl, compliment her,then i small talk and ask for her number.The way you put it is as if everyone who talks to random girls off the street does it by asking directions and then her number or straight up asking for her number. You are worrying too much about "context",I mean this ain't for everyone, if you look like an awkward guy then you will fail like the guy i was with 2 days ago, 600 approaches 6 numbers. If you look decent or even attractive, girls love giving their number to you as long as you are nice to them and have decent game.

I am amazed all the women here are against it, when i do it the girls blush and love it with positive replies like "thankyou", or "you are so sweet".
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
How do you girls feel about guys approaching you in the street for your number etc? I'm asking because I was in a restaurant a few days ago and there was this girl I really wanted to approach but she was sitting down with her friend and I didn't want to interrupt. Opportunity passed. How do you girls feel if I approached you in that situation? And how do you feel about giving out your number to a guy generally? Both gender's opinion welcome

How they feel depends on how attractive you are.

But who cares how they feel? Its irrelevant
I just follow them home usually.

Latest

Trending

Trending