The Student Room Group

Help please - I'm in a dilemma

This poll is closed

Should I take 4 A2 levels?

Yes - go for it58%
No - it's not worth the work and the risk42%
Total votes: 33
Hi guys, I really need some advice, so here I go...

In a nut shell, I don't know whether to do 4 or 3 A2 levels, more specifically: whether to do philosophy with my History, English lit and Politics (my three 'firm'), or do just those 3 and an AS in Sociology (which, tbh, would be less taxing than the A2). I really want to read History at Cambridge (the course looks amazing!) so I postponed enrolling at my sixth form today because I wanted more time to think - and ask for your advice.

First of all, my AS levels were good. My UMS marks were:
History: 285
English Lit: 293
Politics: 264
Philosophy: 280

I won't bother laying out all the arguments for and against doing the extra A2, apart from saying that I don't want to jeopardize my chances of getting into Cambridge (obviously this is if I'm lucky enough to be made an offer), and therefore would prefer not to run the risk of being made a four grade offer. I enjoy it - and therefore in an ideal world would do it (the teacher is amazing) - but like I said, Cambridge is my ultimate goal.

Any advice, experiences you have I'd REALLY appreciate as I don't know what to do next. I have until tomorrow to decide, so please respond sooner rather than later. Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

um... i was talking to someone about this (or a similar q anyway) on another forum and this is what i said

and as for amounts of subjects - i empathise entirely with your wish do do sooo many subjects Rabid, but in the end i really don't recommend doing more than 4 (exc. GS) because there's just no point. I did 4 actually subjects each year, but inthe 1st year i dropped art before the exams because it took up a pointlessly humoungous amount of my time. so i came out with 3 A2s and an AS (+GS) and you really don't need any more. One thing the last year has made me appreciate is how much i just didn't leanr at school the last 2 or 3 years. Teachers are concentrating so much on you passing your exams that the time for actually learning stuff is minimal. If there's other subjects you'd like to do, i'd honestly advise you to take a reasonable amount of subjects and then use the time you've gained to do your own reading/research in whatever interests you, rather than being stuck with a particular syllabus/cswk etc - it'll also stand you in much better stead for uni, if you've done your own thing as well as school

i'm very much of the opinion that if you can easily cope with four that's fine, but there are sooo many more interesting things you could be doing with your time, which may also help any uni applications. I also think, that if you're interested in a subject, taking it at A Level isn't necessarily the best/most interesting way to persue it, and if you do fewer Alevels, that's more time you got for persuing other interests of just other subjects, but at your own leisure.
I mean you do have 280 UMS already and if they did include Philosophy then you would only need 200/300 to make your A which is roughly 67% and I think your AS grades reflect you could easily do that. Unless you're worried about it influencing your other A levels. Then again I have no idea what philosophy entails at A level but given your very high AS UMS it shouldn't be too tough making your A.
If you can handle it do 4. If it will stop you getting A's in the other 3 then do 3. Theres no doubt that interviewers will like the look of 4 A levels better than 3 (whether they say its "necessary" or not).
Reply 4
do 4 a levels and the AS..
I'd say just do three. Philosophy A2 is really boring anyway, and it will stop them giving you a 4 A-level offer, which is a distinct possibility if you take 4 subjects.

MB
Reply 6
tctc
do 4 a levels and the AS..

Let me think... no. A (now) PPEist at my college did 5 though.

Thanks for the advice guys, however, more opinions would be appreciated.
Reply 7
well what you could of done, is taught your self the A2 part of one of the alevles over the summer... and did all the exams for it in jan.
Reply 8
Sure, if you were a masochist, you could have done that. But why stop at 5? If you cut out sleep, then you free up another 8 hours per day (or, to put it another way, a full school day, with enough room for potentially another 4 subjects!)
I spoke to a tutor at Oxford (but I presume the same would be true at Cam) who said that doing 4 A2s is great, but is no better than just doing 3 and spending the extra time you get to make deeper inroads into your chosen subject.

For example, I want to do English, so he suggested I set the goal of reading 1 extra text per week and really think about it, rather than take a fourth A2.

Sounds like a good idea to me: less stress when it comes to exams, more knowledge for your interview, and more enjoyment for you (as long as you love your subject!).
Reply 10
Yeah but the Oxford admissions tutors would say that - they're happy if the majority of their applicants are literate.
Ronove
Yeah but the Oxford admissions tutors would say that - they're happy if the majority of their applicants are literate.

Goodness!

Did Oxford beat you as a child or something?
Reply 12
Take 4, just about everyone does, they're not that hard.
Reply 13
yeh go up for 4, if you dont like it you cant drop out anyway of that subject
Reply 14
If I was in this situation I wouldn't consider an AS in sociology, it is extra work and is unnecessary. Continuing all 4 makes more sense as politics is the only subject you really risk not getting an A in, the others you can get Cs at A2 and still come out with As (your UMS would suffer, but by then you'll have either got an offer or not). If you think 4A2s will be too much work (though as you could get 4As from 3 Cs and a B...) then only do 3A2s, but I really advise against picking up sociology in this situation. In this case you could read around your subjects to give you a more detailed knowledge of them.
prefer not to run the risk of being made a four grade offer

I think this is a very silly reason. It's better than not getting an offer at all. And if you can't get all As when you only need 195/300 (C), 187/300 (C), 216/300 (B) and 200/300 (C) UMS respectively you are probably not oxbridge material. Just make sure you put some extra work into politics to secure the A (even though you only need a low B to do this) and you'll be fine.
Reply 15
i dont see much point in doing 4. i received an offer from camb to read history (and i had similar ums marks to you) even though i only continued with3 A2's (plus general but that wasnt included in my offer). i would say if you dont mind the work as oppose to the free time then go for it. if you choose to do 3 i would recommend you read widely outside your history syllabus to show your enthusiasm for history because at the end of the day that is what they are looking for, not neccessarily someone who can potentially achieve an A grade in a completely unrelated subject.
I'd say go for 4.
The colleges that ask for 4 also seem to demand success in AEA's if you "only" do three so you'd be doing 3As an AS and possibly a couple of AEA's too - if your UMS marks are good in philosophy and you enjoy it - that looks like the easier road.
Also - if you do find yourself looking at other unis - 4 A levels with good first year UMS looks pretty impressive.
Which colleges are you talking about?
Don't know if this has already been said - but one of the reasons I only did three was because I was pretty sure I could get 3 As, whereas doing 4 could have meant I would have had less time to focus on each subject, and ended up getting AABB etc. Plus the 4 A offer thing. I wouldn't think about it too much, just base it on whether you really love all 4 subjects and what you feel is right for you.
Reply 19
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm still thinking about it and have about another week to decide. It's good to get as many views as possible, so keep them coming if you have something to say. I take your point about it being impessive to other unis btw, Ancient Monument. Thanks everyone.

Latest

Trending

Trending