The Student Room Group

Questions about Foundation Year, Clearance and Bad Grades

Here's the hypothetical scenario, I apply for 4 unis and i get in all of them, i make a firm and an insurance choice, all is good. I pick Software engineering which requires 280 UCAS points, but i only get 180 which is way off the minimum, what options would be available to me?

Would they offer me a foundation year or was i supposed to apply for that as a proper course?
I have a bit of knowledge on this but how would clearance come into this?
If you have the grades for the Foundation course (assuming that Uni even offers one) yes, they might give you a place on that course. On the other hand, that course might be full or they decide they don't want you for any course.

It is a silly idea applying to a course you already realise is probably outside your grasp and hoping on a chance they might offer you the Foundation course on results day. If you are that shaky academically then either get some better grades or apply to more realistic courses.
Reply 2
Original post by ryukis215
Here's the hypothetical scenario, I apply for 4 unis and i get in all of them, i make a firm and an insurance choice, all is good. I pick Software engineering which requires 280 UCAS points, but i only get 180 which is way off the minimum, what options would be available to me?

Would they offer me a foundation year or was i supposed to apply for that as a proper course?
I have a bit of knowledge on this but how would clearance come into this?

They might offer you a foundation year, but they are under no obligation to do so. Once your firm and insurance have rejected you are entered into clearing which is essentially all unis that still have places for your chosen course. You then ring then up on results day and see whether they'd be willing to take you; clearing vacancy lists are available on results day
Reply 3
ok well i think this scenario might actually be reality for me, what can i do to still go to uni this year at september?
Shall i go into clearence or can i switch to a foundation if thats possible or what, please any suggestions?
You'd be much better waiting to see what your results actually are, and if necessary, dropping your application for this year and reapplying for 2015 with known grades. Nowhere is it written that you can only go to Uni straight from school - you only get one crack at this, its worth waiting, taking some time and getting it right.
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
You'd be much better waiting to see what your results actually are, and if necessary, dropping your application for this year and reapplying for 2015 with known grades. Nowhere is it written that you can only go to Uni straight from school - you only get one crack at this, its worth waiting, taking some time and getting it right.

its a fact that i will be getting 180 ucas points, i cant take a year off as i would get whipped, is it too late to apply for college to redo one of my courses of 2 years in the space of 1 then reapply with better grades or shall i just go into clearance
(edited 9 years ago)
Do retakes and apply with better grades.
Reply 7
I'd be tempted to ring them, and talk worse case scenario, they would most likely give you some advice, which might be wait for results and ring again if you don't get the grades, I know of someone who got a conditional, didn't get the grades, rang the uni and they still gave him the place because of how much passion he showed for the subject on the interview, you never know until you ask, hope that helps xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please do not 'ring the Uni'. As someone who used to work in Admissions I can tell you that you will get the standard answer of 'You will be informed of our decision via Track on Results Day' - with a subliminal text of 'please go away and stop bothering us - we really aren't interested'.
Foundation Year courses are not for people whom want to boost their academic skills in their originally targeted field of study, because they didn't get good enough results in their pre-uni education. At least as somebody who is going to do a foundation course, that is what I have found to be true, through my researching of them.

They are targeted at international students who did not have the opportunity in their own Country, to acquire qualifications which would have allowed them direct progression to year 1 of a degree course. They are also targeted at mature students, and students whom want to change their field of study completely and have the wrong pre-uni qualifications for that field.
This isn't true.

Some are targeted at International students, and some are targeted at students who are bright but did the 'wrong' A levels for their now intended subject at Uni - but there are aloso lots for those students who didn't get high enough A level grades but show potential.

A few examples : Southampton http://www.southampton.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/foundation_years/; Nottingham http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/foundationcourses/foundationcourses.aspx; Keele http://www.keele.ac.uk/foundationcourses/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Do you know if it's possible to do retakes but apply for a foundation?

Latest

Trending

Trending