The Student Room Group

If you could afford it would you hire a maid

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
My aunt had a maid in Africa who was actually a family member, who wanted to be their maid for various reasons. My aunt moved to the UK and she was brought too by request. She wasn't needed as such, but it gave ger work and a place to stay and a move to the UK from Zimbabwe so... happy days i guess

It would be more uncomfortable to have a maid who isnt a relative and lives with you full time...

I'd rather it be the same case as mentioned previously, a close family relative who wants to do it by choice, if I was to look for a maid ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't mind a good looking butler, preferably 30-something, fit and miraculously never married but not gay.
Original post by DarkMagic
I wouldn't want a maid in my house full time, but I would love for someone to come in for a couple of hours every week just to clean everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cleaners can be as much trouble as they are worth quite often. Better to do it yourself and accept some moderate levels of untidiness.
Reply 43
I'd probably consider getting a cleaner in for a couple of hours a week to do the bathroom and kitchen. It turns into a bit of a source of resentment when you're in a relationship and one person doesn't feel the other is pulling their weight. Easier to just get someone in to do the yucky jobs so you can divvy up the less gross jobs fairly and no-one minds too much. I'd buy a dishwasher first though. That would free up so much time. We don't have space for one in our kitchen though. :frown:
Original post by TheVth
My aunt had a maid in Africa who was actually a family member, who wanted to be their maid for various reasons. My aunt moved to the UK and she was brought too by request. She wasn't needed as such, but it gave ger work and a place to stay and a move to the UK from Zimbabwe so... happy days i guess

It would be more uncomfortable to have a maid who isnt a relative and lives with you full time...

I'd rather it be the same case as mentioned previously, a close family relative who wants to do it by choice, if I was to look for a maid ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you want to put a family member through that? She's basically your servant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by ElChapo
Why would you want to put a family member through that? She's basically your servant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's by their choice, I mean many people who are maids in Africa may want to be a maid for a family member instead of a stranger. It's really not so much a servant-owner type of relationship from what I have witnessed- It seemed almost the same as any other- Especially if its to help a relative financially (as this was the only reason i agreed) then i would agree. Good question though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes- because I think, ironically, it would actually make me tidier. If I had someone coming to clean everyday, I would probably feel bad about certain things (like leaving dirty clothes lying around for a few days or the shower drain clogged) and would probably procrastinate less about doing them. And then she could do all the boring jobs I hate, like cleaning the toilet and vacuuming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending