The Student Room Group

Invent a new A-level.

Scroll to see replies

I think the science ones could be modified to include more how science works kind of stuff, like the importance of peer review and similar things. Science is often misrepresented in the media so including that on A levels would be beneficial.

Original post by tohaaaa
Paleontology.... xD
The government's new action plan for making school more engaging! DINOSAURS!!!!!!!

Everything is better with dinosaurs. :bl:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mustangmix
So that's a yes for taking part in the a-level :smile:

As is your participation in the Grammar A-Level.
Original post by lilypear
As is your participation in the Grammar A-Level.

Nope I never agreed, you mad?
Addition.

...and for the really clever kids, Further Addition and Subtraction.
Nope I never agreed, you mad?

You would pass with flying colours in my other A-level, Chav.
Reply 45
Troll studies
The common sense a level. Far too many people would fail it :wink:
Further Further Mathematics (the A level where you do Mathematics that's actually difficult enough to be a preparation for University)
Original post by Arketec
What a level would you introduce to the system?

For me it would be architecture and/or logic.

Architecture is quite practical and would be difficult to set an exam for, hence why it's done as BTECs in college.

Logic is heavily included in some philosophy courses, varying according to which modules the teacher chooses.

I'm not arguing with you though, I'm just saying that it's probably not needed at all to have them as a levels.

My recommendation is social skills, so many people (i.e. me) would benefit greatly from a course like this. Though I suppose it could be difficult to assess, and there's not much need for a qualification in it so I guess it's a stupid idea.
Original post by lilypear
You would pass with flying colours in my other A-level, Chav.

You would be of great interest to my students... a being with absolutely no life!
You would be of great interest to my students... a being with absolutely no life!

Well, they do call me a zombie for a reason.
Architecture would be good actually.

Exam could be a brief and you have to design to it. As well as a justification for it, like it's running, geographical location and such.
A-Level in Life studies/Finance
How to successfully navigate yourself through the world of office politics, assertiveness training, negotiation, management and interpersonal skills Stress management , credit score building, save enough money for a deposit, mortgages, insurance ,how to avoid bad debt, etc Basic cooking skills on a budget.
Reply 53
Original post by louieee
Architecture is quite practical and would be difficult to set an exam for, hence why it's done as BTECs in college.

Logic is heavily included in some philosophy courses, varying according to which modules the teacher chooses.

I'm not arguing with you though, I'm just saying that it's probably not needed at all to have them as a levels.

My recommendation is social skills, so many people (i.e. me) would benefit greatly from a course like this. Though I suppose it could be difficult to assess, and there's not much need for a qualification in it so I guess it's a stupid idea.

Oh
- Cosmology
- Logic
- Poetry
- History and/or philosophy of science
- Actuarial science
- Applicable mathematics

Not sure how practical these would be, but they would be pretty interesting (apart maybe from the last one, but pure maths is not for everyone I suppose :tongue:)
Original post by Mathlover123
Further Further Mathematics (the A level where you do Mathematics that's actually difficult enough to be a preparation for University)

All this would lead to is the introduction of a STEP IV paper :banghead:
World Politics a-level

World History a-level

I know that history and politics have modules in international/world affairs, however subjects specific to parts of the world than just the UK would be nice.
Reply 57
Original post by RFJ
I'd like to see A Levels become more like mini degrees, so one could do medicine A level. Perhaps that's a bit of a pipe dream, may work as many come to college knowing that they want to pursue a career in medicine. The same could be said for dentistry, nursing and maybe even teaching?

Just a thought.

There's an engineering A-level, does that count?
Hollywood studies. I'd be getting A*s throughout :smile:
Reply 59
Further Biology
Further Chemistry
Further Physics
Further further additional additional mathematics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest