further additional further maths

looooool
Defence Against the Dark Arts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Video gaming.
Taxes. An A-Level on how to do them :P
Reply 85
Original post by kkboyk
There's an engineering A-level, does that count?

I should think so, bit silly that we don't tend to get academic experience of certain degrees which we may choose to pursue.
A-Level - Computer Networking:holmes:

What sixth forms actually do that though? XD
Swag
Unexplainable Phenomena
Maybe not a whole a level, but I think a module on cryptography in maths or computing A-levels would be quite cool.
Original post by KrisCussans
World Politics a-level

World History a-level

I know that history and politics have modules in international/world affairs, however subjects specific to parts of the world than just the UK would be nice.

I know the IB offers these (at least, Global Politics is a course in its own right and I believe the History course is global-based also, though I may be wrong there) so they certainly could work as A Levels. I've seen some of the stuff the Politics students did and it looked really interesting!
Diplomacy
I think making an A-Level in something very specific is a bad idea - you can go to colleges for more specific courses, the whole point of A-Levels is that they're broad enough to be taught generally. If there was an A-Level in Architecture, few schools would likely have the resources and teaching capability to actually fund and run the course.
That being said, I'm actually a Scottish student who did comparable-but-admittedly-slightly-different Advanced Highers rather than A-Levels. The density of students and size of schools is much lower here, so maybe down South there'd be places where it'd be easier/more viable to teach more specific courses, though in my mind that's still what colleges are for.

I think a good addition would be Mathematical Physics, which would function similarly to Further Maths - an additional Physics course that builds on what you learn in the regular course, but with a focus on more in-depth and complex mathematics. At the moment, Physics as a subject in schools at A-Level and Physics as a subject at university are very different, with the latter being far more mathematical, to the extent that your Maths A-Level is actually considered more important than your Physics A-Level when applying for a Physics course (or so I gather from some top unis' entry requirements sometimes including A* in Maths but only an A in Physics, though admittedly at most the A* can be in either.) This is apparently an issue, as a lot of students go to uni for Physics and instead get a completely different, much more mathematical subject presented to them, as the A-Level encompasses very little maths.

Alternately, I think a proper Computer Science A-Level would be a good idea. At the moment, the CS A-Level is considered "useful" but completely non-essential by unis when applying for a CS course. If the A-level named after the uni course is considered useless and irrelevant enough to be a nice afterthought in the requirements, with Maths/FMaths and Physics being the actual essential courses, then there's clearly something wrong with the course.

For the humanities side of things, I think the suggestion above of World History/World Politics is an excellent idea. Perhaps an "International Studies" course, or something. There's a huge focus on the UK's history and politics in the current courses, and though that is obviously important, I imagine there are many Politics/History students who'd like to study topics outside of the UK too.
Zombie apocalypse survival 😍😍😍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by SpringNicht
Life skills, where you learn how to budget and play bills and unclog the sink.

Put it instead of general studies/critical thinking.

Not completely sure why you got rep for this but let me hazard a guess. Perhaps it's something to do with the ignorance surrounding what subjects like critical thinking actually entail. Is it somehow deemed cool to mock these subjects while knowing nothing about what you're talking about.

Answer me honestly if you have actually taken these subjects at A level and why you think they should be removed.

I did in fact take some of these (critical thinking and philosophy) and I can say without any reservation that society would benefit enormously if they played a larger part in the curriculum. Only most people don't realise what basic skills they lack. That or they prefer to remain in their blissful ignorance while others pity their lack of fundamental reasoning ability...
Original post by kkboyk
There's a degree offered by the university of Wisconsin called 'feminist biology'. You don't want to give em any worse idea.

That's even worse than creationist biology..
Original post by xylas
Not completely sure why you got rep for this but let me hazard a guess. Perhaps it's something to do with the ignorance surrounding what subjects like critical thinking actually entail. Is it somehow deemed cool to mock these subjects while knowing nothing about what you're talking about.

Answer me honestly if you have actually taken these subjects at A level and why you think they should be removed.

I did in fact take some of these (critical thinking and philosophy) and I can say without any reservation that society would benefit enormously if they played a larger part in the curriculum. Only most people don't realise what basic skills they lack. That or they prefer to remain in their blissful ignorance while others pity their lack of fundamental reasoning ability...

I'm at university now, what do you think?

Critical thinking and general studies did not provide any good advice to me nor many others on how to be an adult, and I'd assume that's why I've got rep. Most people know not to believe everything they're told and how to use evidence to come to a conclusion, and general studies is of very little benefit to anybody at all. All too often our school system focuses on things that really don't assist you in being a functioning member of society.

An a level focusing on things most people are likely to encounter (e.g. how to run a household, how to manage your income and outgoings, how to feed yourself, how to get a job, how to access services and support if required, how to do basic diy and save yourself paying £50 for a plumber to do a very basic repair you can learn from youtube) would be far more useful to most.

I'm glad you enjoy and see value in what you're studying, but please realise they don't encompass all the knowledge you need to be a proper adult.
Chemical Physics.
Reply 99
A level in Pokemon :colone:
The GCSE will cover the easy stuff that most people know like the effective type chart, identification of different pokemon, status effects etc etc

But the AS will introduce EV training and advance battle tactics. It will delve deep into the mathematics of the EV system
And the A2 will be very difficult introducing IV breeding. the exam at the end will require you to breed a pokemon with at least 3 perfect IVs :biggrin:
That would be interesting :rolleyes: , don't think they will allow it though!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest