The Student Room Group

What is your uni gym like? (srs)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ElChapo
Why do you need to take your shoes off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because squatting in WL shoes > barefoot > flat shoes > squishy shoes > shoes worn from long use.

As someone who lifts in WL shoes, if I'm going for a deadlift max, I'd likely take my shoes off rather than pulling on a 0.75" deficit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Because squatting in WL shoes > barefoot > flat shoes > squishy shoes > shoes worn from long use.

As someone who lifts in WL shoes, if I'm going for a deadlift max, I'd likely take my shoes off rather than pulling on a 0.75" deficit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by RollerBall
UCL is ****, a mate of mine was studying at LSHTM and got told off for using liquid chalk and taking his shoes off. Facilities are average.

Don't know about LSE (it may be the same as UCL) bit I know of a couple of LSE guys who travel to Qmotion (QM's gym) to train because you get a reduced 'associate' membership for being part of ULU which is halfway between QM/BL prices and Joe Blogs price.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks brah. That's ridiculous :lolwut: Went to see a friend at Nottingham who lifts once and popped into their gym, and there were quite a few people with shoes off in the weights room.

Associate membership sounds pretty sweet. I'm guessing the QM gym is good? (Might actually be applying to QM too as my safety)
Original post by ElChapo
Why do you need to take your shoes off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I usually do deadlifts without shoes. Less range of motion and you're closer to the ground, so therefore more stable.
The UCLU union was pretty standard as far as uni gyms go, with the exception that you were supposed to deadlift off these bloody purple foam blocks when there was a performance in the theatre below.
As for pulling from a 0.75" deficit, are you really competing at such a high level that it could conceivably make a difference? Misha Koklyaev managed 390 for a triple in WL shoes and a hook grip.
Original post by Swirll
Thanks brah. That's ridiculous :lolwut: Went to see a friend at Nottingham who lifts once and popped into their gym, and there were quite a few people with shoes off in the weights room.

Associate membership sounds pretty sweet. I'm guessing the QM gym is good? (Might actually be applying to QM too as my safety)

Well, Qmo is currently getting a revamp so I'm not 100% sure what it'll be like when I go back however I imagine it'll only get better.

The main gym room has DBs up to 50kg, a preacher bench and three adjustable benches, along with two ez-bars, a 10kg straight bar and some random stuff. Two dual cable stacks plus any machine you'd want and a roman chair. Then a load of treadmills/rowing machines/bikes and a stretch area. At the back there's a vertical Smith, three power racks, two competition bench's, and two deadlift platforms. There are enough oly bars for all the racks, benches, platforms + 1 spare, enough weights that I never really have a problem.

They also have bands, foam rollers and fractional plates, chalk, belt, straps etc and the PTs actually know what they're doing (mostly, they're reasonably good at coaching weightlifting). They also have a back room for the powerlifting club which has another two-three racks, 2012 bars/plates and oly lifting platforms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SEHughes
As for pulling from a 0.75" deficit, are you really competing at such a high level that it could conceivably make a difference? Misha Koklyaev managed 390 for a triple in WL shoes and a hook grip.

WL shoes have a hard sole that won't compress (noticeably) allowing for force to be transferred through them into the floor. Other shoes (trainers etc) will compress meaning force is "wasted" and you lift less.

Why pull from a deficit if you don't have to?

Not in the slightest, and there are powerlifters at my gym pulling 6 plates in the same shoes, but I'd just feel more comfortable pulling something that's near my max without the shoes on. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine is quite **** tbh, use "the gym" instead as it's cheaper and much bigger. There are plans to make my uni gym bigger over the summer however I finish my degree in a couple of days :tongue:
Reply 71
The UCLU union was pretty standard as far as uni gyms go, with the exception that you were supposed to deadlift off these bloody purple foam blocks when there was a performance in the theatre below.

Bloomsbury or the ULU one? Starting UCL in Sept and wanna find a decent gym to do powerlifting/not have to wait for racks etc, Bloomsbury good enough?
UCLU gym is Bloomsbury Fitness. I think it's better equipped than ULU, although now the ULU no longer exists as a union I don't know what'll happen to that gym anyway.

If you want to be a powerlifter, find a real powerlifting gym. If you're just a novice trying to get strong, there are worse places than Bloomsbury Fitness.
Reply 73
Is Loughborough Powerbase for all students still? I heard it may just be for elite athletes from 2014/2015 :/
Original post by Plug33
Is Loughborough Powerbase for all students still? I heard it may just be for elite athletes from 2014/2015 :/

I've also heard this but I'm unsure till September

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by ElChapo
I've also heard this but I'm unsure till September

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damnnnnn I hope not, not really aware of many other gyms on campus that come close to it (in terms of strength building) :/
Jealous of Loughborough gym.

Nottingham is small - only 1 squat rack, 1 bench press, 1 incline bench, 1 smith machine and about 4 benches so when it gets crowded it's ridiculous in there. Upstairs they have all machines. Sometimes wish they'd take some out and put a proper deadlifting platform in.
Reply 77
Original post by DannyW94
Jealous of Loughborough gym.

Nottingham is small - only 1 squat rack, 1 bench press, 1 incline bench, 1 smith machine and about 4 benches so when it gets crowded it's ridiculous in there. Upstairs they have all machines. Sometimes wish they'd take some out and put a proper deadlifting platform in.

Same, mirin Lufbra hard.

Went to visit a friend at Nottingham before and popped into their gym at peak time for a fiver - weights room was way too crowded, upstairs was full of cardio **** and plenty of machines going unused -_-
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Swirll
Same, mirin Lufbra hard.

Went to visit a friend at Nottingham before and popped into their gym at peak time for a fiver - weights room was way too crowded, upstairs was full of cardio phags and plenty of machines going unused -_-

At peak hours they have to have someone on the door to the weights room letting one person in as one goes out ^^

Hence why I try to adapt my timetable so I can pretty much always do morning sessions when I'm at uni haha
177799_479001948803157_391532471_o.jpg
Cardiff University. It has everything I'd want to use and my lecture theatre is just across the road. Perfect for the pre-9AM sessions that we rowers seem to be so keen on...

Quick Reply

Latest