The Student Room Group

Mature students 2015 university applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madele
Thanks. It isn't a vocational course. Hopefully I'm worrying unnecessarily.
I'm feeling very disillusioned with my college at the moment, and not just because of this.

Me too, I'm essentially teaching myself everything and the attitude of staff here is appalling. Its like being taught by first year students during freshers week. I'm just using the poor quality of teaching as a chance to hone in my independent learning skills *sigh*.
Reply 221
Original post by Aish_de_la_Lune
Me too, I'm essentially teaching myself everything and the attitude of staff here is appalling. Its like being taught by first year students during freshers week. I'm just using the poor quality of teaching as a chance to hone in my independent learning skills *sigh*.

That's a shame, but I think I know how you feel! It's worrying when you seem to know more about a subject than your teacher does...

Must try to refrain from ranting here..!
Reply 222
Original post by madele
That's a shame, but I think I know how you feel! It's worrying when you seem to know more about a subject than your teacher does...

Must try to refrain from ranting here..!

I had that last year with Physics! It was the first time my college had offered it at access & it was a shambles. Pretty much taught myself all year & came out with all merits, bit disappointing as I know I could have got distinctions had the tutor known the syllabus & there not been an issue with us all understanding his heavy accent!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to HE: English literature, Psychology and Sociology modules.

Which universities are you applying to: University of Manchester, University of Nottingham, University of Leicester, University of Birmingham and University of Sussex

Which course(s) do you want to do: English literature and American Studies/ English and American Studies

Any other info you feel like sharing: I'll be 20 when I start (21 a few weeks after) so I won't technically be a mature student when I start, which is slightly worrying as I I have applied to some pretty good universities. In order to get into Manchester, Leicester, and Sussex I need 30 distinctions and 15 merits which I think i'm more than capable of (not that it will be easy!), but Manchester want to interview me (eek!!) and Birmingham didn't even reply to my enquiry email so I'll be expecting a rejection from them. furthermore they only have 8 places on the course, so I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible. My tutor said I had one of the best personal statements she has read in a very long time, but I still wasn't happy when I sent it off. College finally submitted my references on 11th of December so now I'm just checking my emails 50+ times a day! Anyone else in the same or similar boat? Say hey!
Original post by Daniel281094
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to HE: English literature, Psychology and Sociology modules.

Which universities are you applying to: University of Manchester, University of Nottingham, University of Leicester, University of Birmingham and University of Sussex

Which course(s) do you want to do: English literature and American Studies/ English and American Studies

Any other info you feel like sharing: I'll be 20 when I start (21 a few weeks after) so I won't technically be a mature student when I start, which is slightly worrying as I I have applied to some pretty good universities. In order to get into Manchester, Leicester, and Sussex I need 30 distinctions and 15 merits which I think i'm more than capable of (not that it will be easy!), but Manchester want to interview me (eek!!) and Birmingham didn't even reply to my enquiry email so I'll be expecting a rejection from them. furthermore they only have 8 places on the course, so I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible. My tutor said I had one of the best personal statements she has read in a very long time, but I still wasn't happy when I sent it off. College finally submitted my references on 11th of December so now I'm just checking my emails 50+ times a day! Anyone else in the same or similar boat? Say hey!

Hey! I'm a mature student (23) applying for the university of Manchester for for English lit & American Studies too :smile: I got my offer a few weeks back, I think it will be my firm choice, which is yours? :smile:
Original post by TwoLimes
Hey! I'm a mature student (23) applying for the university of Manchester for for English lit & American Studies too :smile: I got my offer a few weeks back, I think it will be my firm choice, which is yours? :smile:

Really? I'm so relieved! Did they not want to interview you then, as too be honest I'm pooping my pants a little! Hopefully my statement is ok... What are they asking you for? Sorry for all the questions! My firm will probably be Manchester if I get an offer, but I'm torn between Nottingham and Leicester as my insurance!
Really? I'm so relieved! Did they not want to interview you then, as too be honest I'm pooping my pants a little! Hopefully my statement is ok... What are they asking you for? Sorry for all the questions! My firm will probably be Manchester if I get an offer, but I'm torn between Nottingham and Leicester as my insurance!

Go to Manchester with TwoLimes and myself! I'm not doing English, but it would be good knowing other mature students at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine - and questions are good! :smile: I heard the interviews are really informal, and I met the lecturers and admissions team at an open day and they were super nice & friendly, and dead helpful when I explained my non-conventional academic situation. I had to complete the online assessment, as is standard, and then they've asked for 66% on my Open University level 1 modules I'm doing this year, so fingers crossed!
Reply 228
Original post by madele
Hmm.
He keeps saying that because the deadline is 15th January it doesn't matter, but I've heard you should apply as early as you can. Do you think applying this late will affect my chances?

Hi,
I think it depends on the Uni you are applying to and the course. I rang the uni and asked, for the course I want to study they don't interview for and were sending out offers as and when suitable applications came in, so I got my tutor to do my reference fast. Maybe give the Uni a call and speak to admissions to see if they wait until the UCAS deadline to look at the applications or if it's more first come first served.
Hope that helps.
Original post by Coffeetime
Go to Manchester with TwoLimes and myself! I'm not doing English, but it would be good knowing other mature students at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, well if everything goes well I might just be! Indeed it would, what have you applied for?
Haha don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine - and questions are good! :smile: I heard the interviews are really informal, and I met the lecturers and admissions team at an open day and they were super nice & friendly, and dead helpful when I explained my non-conventional academic situation. I had to complete the online assessment, as is standard, and then they've asked for 66% on my Open University level 1 modules I'm doing this year, so fingers crossed!

I hope so! I'm finding my Access course relatively easy so I if they gave me an offer, that would send my butt into overdrive to make sure I got in. Oh good, i'm awful at interviews. I've only ever had one and how I got the job i'll never know! I've only been out of education for around 3 years so i've just been dusting off the cobwebs as they say, but it's still going to incredibly nerve wracking, especially as I live around four hours away, so that commute being all for nothing wouldn't be good. I've head that Manchester actually had an open day specifically geared towards Access students, but they weren't really on my radar till my distinctions started rolling in. Another query is the online assessment,what type of questions are they? I'm worried that my analytic knowledge might not yet be on par with what they're looking for. Anyway, that's great, i'm so happy to hear you've been offered a place and hopefully I'll be seeing you next September! :smile:
I hope so! I'm finding my Access course relatively easy so I if they gave me an offer, that would send my butt into overdrive to make sure I got in. Oh good, i'm awful at interviews. I've only ever had one and how I got the job i'll never know! I've only been out of education for around 3 years so i've just been dusting off the cobwebs as they say, but it's still going to incredibly nerve wracking, especially as I live around four hours away, so that commute being all for nothing wouldn't be good. I've head that Manchester actually had an open day specifically geared towards Access students, but they weren't really on my radar till my distinctions started rolling in. Another query is the online assessment,what type of questions are they? I'm worried that my analytic knowledge might not yet be on par with what they're looking for. Anyway, that's great, i'm so happy to hear you've been offered a place and hopefully I'll be seeing you next September! :smile:

Haha at least you got the position, you can't be that bad if you managed that :wink: yep I believe that's true, I didn't go to it but went to the standard open day instead & really loved it. They have campus & accommodation tours every Wednesday so even though it's a bit of a trek for you by the sounds of things it might be worth squeezing one in on the same day as an interview, or failing that I've been invited to a visit day in February so fingers crossed if you get an offer you will be too :smile:

I wouldn't worry about the online assessment too much, there's a thread in the university of Manchester section on here called 'UoM Online Assessment' or something similar, there's a bit of discussion on there about the English assessment. Presumably its aimed at A-Level standard students, and the access course won't be far off getting you up to the same level, so don't panic :smile:

Thanks - best of luck to you too - let me know how you get on, it'd be good to know a fellow student before September :smile:
Haha at least you got the position, you can't be that bad if you managed that :wink: yep I believe that's true, I didn't go to it but went to the standard open day instead & really loved it. They have campus & accommodation tours every Wednesday so even though it's a bit of a trek for you by the sounds of things it might be worth squeezing one in on the same day as an interview, or failing that I've been invited to a visit day in February so fingers crossed if you get an offer you will be too :smile:

I wouldn't worry about the online assessment too much, there's a thread in the university of Manchester section on here called 'UoM Online Assessment' or something similar, there's a bit of discussion on there about the English assessment. Presumably its aimed at A-Level standard students, and the access course won't be far off getting you up to the same level, so don't panic :smile:

Thanks - best of luck to you too - let me know how you get on, it'd be good to know a fellow student before September :smile:

Ah, that is true! If I get an interview, i'll probably travel up and get a hotel as I live just outside of London, although that is dependant on when the interviews are. I hope so, I really do... I've actually had a brief read through that already so I'll go back and have a bit more of an in-depth read, but correct me if i'm wrong, I think someone mentioned there being around 5 days to complete it, so I should be able to spin something in that amount of time. I actually did AS level Lit and Language and got A's in my coursework, but I totally screwed up my exams due to illness and ended up with awful grades, but I know i'm capable. I agree, I can't wait to get to uni at the moment but once the folks pack up the car and leave me three and a half hours away, knowing at least one person on my course would be great!
Haha, well if everything goes well I might just be! Indeed it would, what have you applied for?

Ancient History! :excited:
Reply 234
They finally sent my application off yesterday. I have had two confirmation emails from unis so far. Feeling excited but I guess it's probably unlikely I'll hear from them this side of Christmas now.
Some good news and an early Christmas present! Unconditional offer received and accepted to study History at Lincoln!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MatureDude
Some good news and an early Christmas present! Unconditional offer received and accepted to study History at Lincoln!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!
Reply 237
I was worrying for no reason. I've already received an offer and it's for my first choice (Zoology at Exeter). I'm SO happy :biggrin:
I'm delighted!

My interviews for Oxford went badly, but I didn't really enjoy the place... so I now know I'm going to accept Durham's generous unconditional for Physics... and I love it there!
Received my first offer, a conditional from Uni of Leicester for English and American Studies! Ecstatic!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending