The Student Room Group

Student Finance repayment issue

I have received a letter from Student Finance asking me to repay a total amount of £3383 which was given to me as supplementary grant last year. I am aware regarding my obligation to repay it back, however it turns out that they may have made a mistake on their end with the calculations. I was entitled to maximum grant during my first year as my parents were both out of work and earning below the minimum threshold.

What do you think?
Thanks.
Reply 1
It sounds like your account has been reassessed because SFE haven't received either confirmation of your parents income (did they fill out a CYI at the start of the AY?) or are awaiting some form of evidence. Give SFE a call and they'll check it.
Hi Black cat,
I wouldn't feel obligation to pay anything back if you can avoid it, the government is just using student loans as a cover for moving taxpayers money into the private sector, they simply give the money out as loans to students then sell the loans a couple of years later at a fraction of their value to a private loan shark company which they and their family have bought shares in. It's a perfect system for them and a great cover for embezzlement I have to applaud the person who thought it up, it's genius. contest this if you can, and once you graduate if you or any of your acquaintances are ever working abroad read up on the 'statute barred' laws as they have been very helpful to many ex-students.
Reply 3
Original post by ayrshireman
Hi Black cat,
I wouldn't feel obligation to pay anything back if you can avoid it, the government is just using student loans as a cover for moving taxpayers money into the private sector, they simply give the money out as loans to students then sell the loans a couple of years later at a fraction of their value to a private loan shark company which they and their family have bought shares in. It's a perfect system for them and a great cover for embezzlement I have to applaud the person who thought it up, it's genius. contest this if you can, and once you graduate if you or any of your acquaintances are ever working abroad read up on the 'statute barred' laws as they have been very helpful to many ex-students.

It's a grant that's been reassessed, not the loan. So it's completely different.

But thanks for posting a lot of the common myths of student loans.
Reply 4
Original post by SFE'R
It sounds like your account has been reassessed because SFE haven't received either confirmation of your parents income (did they fill out a CYI at the start of the AY?) or are awaiting some form of evidence. Give SFE a call and they'll check it.

My parents filled out the CYI previously which was assessed based on my parents income last year, but there financial income hasn't changed. Yet SFE came to conclusion that last years grant was overpaid when it wasn't even though I was entitled to maximum grant.
Reply 5
When you fill out a CYI at the start of the year, you need to confirm the income at the end of the academic year. Phone SFE, theyll tell you exactly what they need
Original post by ayrshireman
Hi Black cat,

Garbage, infantile garbage.
Reply 7
Bump
Reply 8
Original post by Black Cat
Bump

Phone SFE. If you were entitled to the grant then they're missing some kind of evidence (or have lost it).

If you think they've made a mistake with the calculation as per your first post, then the only way to sort it out is to talk to them, understand what has happened and get them to tell you how to sort it out.. There's nothing we can do for you here, sorry. We don't know why the misunderstanding has arisen and so we can't tell you how to resolve it.
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88
Phone SFE. If you were entitled to the grant then they're missing some kind of evidence (or have lost it).

If you think they've made a mistake with the calculation as per your first post, then the only way to sort it out is to talk to them, understand what has happened and get them to tell you how to sort it out.. There's nothing we can do for you here, sorry. We don't know why the misunderstanding has arisen and so we can't tell you how to resolve it.

Phoned them up earlier today and was told to send evidence regarding my parents income from the previous year. I also sent them my declaration form signed and everything about two weeks ago but was told they hadn't received it.

Latest

Trending

Trending