The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Put the AS grade for the one you are dropping, for the rest put the A2 pending.
I dont understand why schools insist on declining all grades, even if you got your A's that you wanted? Surely, for people who have poor GCSEs (me included) its an advantage that you can show actual progress, rather than just relying on teachers' estimates?
Reply 22
Schools can't refuse to let you cash in, so if you want to, make sure they cash them in. As to why some schools have it as policy, presumably it's because they want people not to be disadvantaged if they get worse grades at AS than they're predicted at A2, particularly if a resit would easily boost them up a grade.
Madprof
As to why some schools have it as policy, presumably it's because they want people not to be disadvantaged if they get worse grades at AS than they're predicted at A2, particularly if a resit would easily boost them up a grade.

:ditto: I'm pretty sure that's why my school does it. Almost everyone I know (including me lol) did at least 1 AS resit in their A2 year, lots of people ended up resitting nearly everything and some people even had to resit the whole AS year. It's not too difficult to sweet talk teachers into raising your predictions, but if unis were able to see how badly they'd screwed up the first year, they might not have got any offers.
Reply 24
kellywood_5
:ditto: I'm pretty sure that's why my school does it. Almost everyone I know (including me lol) did at least 1 AS resit in their A2 year, lots of people ended up resitting nearly everything and some people even had to resit the whole AS year. It's not too difficult to sweet talk teachers into raising your predictions, but if unis were able to see how badly they'd screwed up the first year, they might not have got any offers.

I do non-module a-level, so if I decline I must repeat all the exam, is this true?
So, must I show all AS-levels if I dont decline them?
Reply 25
blanco
I do non-module a-level, so if I decline I must repeat all the exam, is this true?
So, must I show all AS-levels if I dont decline them?
In order:

No, you just don't have a grade - you can cash back in later and your score still stands the same as it is now.

Yes. Declined/not cashed in grades = not on form
Cashed in/not declined grades = on form
Reply 26
i got 4 Cs at AS level..each of them were really close to a B...i am predicted BBB and i want to do biomedicine..i am applying to unis in london like ucl,kcl,qmul..etc...i really want to get into kings and their requirement is BBB...do u guys think i should cash in mi as results or decline them by my teacher and put them as pending...and yes i am retaking one module from each of the A2 subject i am carrying on...pls need some advice

thank you
rafer88
i got 4 Cs at AS level..each of them were really close to a B...i am predicted BBB and i want to do biomedicine..i am applying to unis in london like ucl,kcl,qmul..etc...i really want to get into kings and their requirement is BBB...do u guys think i should cash in mi as results or decline them by my teacher and put them as pending...and yes i am retaking one module from each of the A2 subject i am carrying on...pls need some advice

thank you

Well, unis don't find out your UMS marks, just your module grades. If you got say BBC, they'd know you got a higher C than someone else with BCC, but they wouldn't necessarily know how close you were. If you were really close, ie 5 UMS marks or less, it might be worth getting this mentioned in your reference. The only trouble with declining your grades is that they might assume you did really badly, whereas if you got 3 really high Cs and they ask for 3 Bs, they'll know from your predictions (and they'll probably guess that you're doing a few resits) that you're capable of achieving it.
Reply 28
i wasnt 5 ums marks close..i was roughly around 7 i guess..but i am really confuse on wat to do..plz any avice
rafer88
i wasnt 5 ums marks close..i was roughly around 7 i guess..but i am really confuse on wat to do..plz any avice

If you're predicted BBB and that's the typical offer for the unis you're applying to, I'd declare your grades. If you decline them, unis will know you haven't done very well and will start to wonder just how badly you did and just how accurate your predicted grades really are. If they can see that you got CCC, they'll know your predictions aren't unreasonable because they appreciate that a lot of students haven't reached their full potential by the end of AS. 7 UMS marks is still pretty close, so you could still ask for the fact that your Cs were all very high to be mentioned in your reference if you want.

Latest

Trending

Trending