The Student Room Group

Employability of a PhD in Uk

Hi,

I'm studying a PhD in Computer Science at Anglia Ruskin University. I am just wondering about the percentage of getting a job in Academia in any country of the world after receiving of the award, I would be fine working in East of Europe, Asia or some African countries. Since my aim is to work in different countries and experience various cultures.

I have also a question about transferring a PhD from a UK university to a Canadian universities, and the procedure of applying: do I need to contact supervisors or I need just to fill in the online form and send it.

Thanking you in advance.
If you want to transfer (I take it that means you aren't currently funded, which in all honesty, isn't great for the UK and will have an effect on your future employability prospects in the UK, without some serious post-docs under your belt) you need to contact your prospective supervisor at the Canadian universities and find out the process. Be aware, though, that many if not all Canadian universities follow the American model for PhDs, which involves up to several years of taught courses, before you sit "comprehensives" and only after that can you proceed to the thesis stage. (This is why North American talks about "ABD" - they've completed all PhD requirements except the thesis, which is more or less the starting point in the UK.)

I don't know if English isn't your first language, or whether you were typing on a 'phone or something: certainly, though, you don't come across as very articulate. If this is the case, you might do better to focus on a research track in terms of career: unless you are astounding academically, with serious publications and an excellent track record of getting major grants, you will struggle to be taken on as a teaching/research post. However, this means that Africa, for example, isn't going to be a great option for you, or, indeed, much of Eastern Europe, where there is far less funding available for research. You could focus more on South East Asia - especially China and Japan where there is masses of research money - or alternatively, on places like Kazakhstan: they are currently recruiting quite aggressively.

I'm sorry not to have better news for you, but statistically anyway, without anything else, your chances of employment in the sector aren't great: in science and tech, a lot of people simply fail to get a postdoc after graduation, and then another tranche of PhDs fall by the wayside at the next career stage, of moving from postdoc to lectureship. Anglia Ruskin doesn't have the greatest of reputations as an institution in general, though I obviously don't know about your supervisor, which is the most important bit. It worries me, though, that you're asking here about a transfer to Canada, and don't already have someone there who's head-hunted you: doctoral candidates seeking to move are a red flag, and I don't know of any academic colleagues who would accept a transfer request from a student they didn't know, and hadn't seen in action at conferences etc People do, of course, have issues with their supervisors and things like that - and if that's your issue, you'd do much better speaking to someone in your department or grad school and trying to get that sorted. It also doesn't look great on your CV to have a move, unless it's clear you've been headhunted, say, by MIT (and even then, some panels would question what this might say about a student's attitude etc)

What you want's not impossible, but it will be very difficult: you not only need to be exceptional academically, but also be very lucky. An academic career is rather a lottery, and sadly, especially in your type of area, a lot of brilliant minds fall by the wayside. However, you might find you're better suited to a career in industry: you could still move around the world with that, if you wanted, you'd earn an awful lot more (especially than an academic in Eastern Europe or Africa). Or how about something in the development/humanitarian fields? Again, you'd be able to use your skills, and be valued enormously for your abilities, the salary would be higher than academia, you wouldn't be struggling with the same constraints on resources as if you were at a developing world university, and you could make a real impact on peoples lives.

I honestly think the best thing for you to do is to go and speak with your supervisor, if you can, or someone at your Graduate School if not, and get advice about what would be the best way for you to proceed.
Reply 2
Original post by KatetheLecturer
If you want to transfer (I take it that means you aren't currently funded, which in all honesty, isn't great for the UK and will have an effect on your future employability prospects in the UK, without some serious post-docs under your belt) you need to contact your prospective supervisor at the Canadian universities and find out the process. Be aware, though, that many if not all Canadian universities follow the American model for PhDs, which involves up to several years of taught courses, before you sit "comprehensives" and only after that can you proceed to the thesis stage. (This is why North American talks about "ABD" - they've completed all PhD requirements except the thesis, which is more or less the starting point in the UK.)

I don't know if English isn't your first language, or whether you were typing on a 'phone or something: certainly, though, you don't come across as very articulate. If this is the case, .....

Thanks for replying. I am from Algeria, which means English is not my first language, not even the second. The reason why I am a self-funded PhD student is because all the scholarships I have come across are available only for EU and British students or not covering my research area. I have chose to fund my research to realize a childhood dream which is to get a PhD in Britain. I do not really understand the point why employers have a bad impression on those who choose to pay for their education.

I have applied for Anglia Ruskin for two major reasons: it has a supervisor with the the same research interest of mine, and its low tuition fees and the international scholarships that reduce the total to the same amount paid by a British student.

Teaching at the university is my dream job and that is what I meant by Academia. I am not really looking for getting involved in a highly funded research projects or to gain residency in any country. I would be interested to know more about humanitarian positions in Tech and computer science.

May I also ask for your opinion about something else. I have received an offer to study a PhD at the university of Debrecen. The tuition fees in totally reasonable comparing to Britain and the living cost too. Would you drop Anglia Ruskin (I am in my first year )for a good university in Hungary? I am very confused after hearing what you have said, I am thinking running away from the valley. Thank you for being honest though .

Kind regards.
(edited 9 years ago)
OK, the very good news here is that, as an Algerian citizen, you will be *very* employable, not only in North Africa but across the Middle East, and also elsewhere in the Muslim world. Unfortunately, self-funded PhDs, especially in science and tech, are regarded less highly than those which are funded by the academic world: this is essentially because received wisdom says that good people get funded, and less good people have to pay. It's very daft really, to the extent that it's meaningless - as you've found out, as an overseas student, you aren't eligible for the majority of funding programmes: you would have to apply through the Overseas research competition, which is not only extremely competitive, but also tends to favour arts and humanities (because there is anyway less funding available for this). However, from what it says, you have got a scholarship from Anglia Ruskin anyway - so this is great, because it counts as having secured funding in a competitive environment, which helps in terms of getting future employment (you've shown you can attract competitive funding). Clearly, it's not the same as having secured a fee waiver and stipendiary funding - but it puts you in a lot better position than someone who has completely self-funded.

The other advantage you almost certainly have as an Algerian citizen is French as a second language: this is also great, because it opens up employment in West Africa - places like Guinea, for example. The bad news is that unfortunately, French academia, which would be a perfect option for you, is a rather corrupt system that seems to depend very heavily on a system of patronage, which effectively rules out people who haven't studied in France - and a huge number of people who have. That said, you have the entire Francophone world at your feet, as well as the Arabic-speaking one, so you are in a much, much stronger position than many other people.

All of this is good news - and opens up your teaching options actually far wider than if you were only able to speak English (like most English people) and because you have a far wider range of options, it actually maybe is worthwhile to stay at AR: especially if you would be happy in West Africa, because there is a lot of high regard for British degrees, and less distinction than in Anglophone Africa about where they come from. Equally, if you'd be happy to go to, say Saudi or the Gulf, you'd have a great chance of a really super salary, and if you are more interested in teaching than being stuck in the lab, not only would you be an asset, but again, you have an enormous language advantage.

Further, if you moved out of Europe to the developing world, you would have far more opportunities in terms of getting involved in things for the UN etc - if you go to the UN main website, you can see tenders that are up for grabs, and if you go on to the UN volunteers page, you could see if there's anything you can get involved in now that might help build up your profile.

If your main goal was to be fulfilling a dream to do a PhD in the UK, I would say stay at AR: know I know where you're from, I think this would actually end up in your degree having more value because you've shown your competency in three major world languages, and I think if you dream really to teach, this would probably be best. I'm sorry to be blunt, but I think your chances of employment in the UK or the US is probably quite unlikely because of the combination of factors we've already talked about: but as that wasn't really your goal, that's not too important. However, what you actually want to do is far, far more exciting and interesting - and also, far more achievable in the long run. You would save money going to Hungary, but if your supervisor was the main reason for choosing AR, and the fact you have a scholarship, together probably slightly outweigh the benefits of moving. I think, if you'd be happy to be in west/north Africa or the Gulf, you'd honestly do best to stay put. If you'd prefer to work in Eastern Europe, then switch. Does that make sense at all?
Reply 4
Original post by KatetheLecturer
OK, the very good news here is that, as an Algerian citizen, you will be *very* employable, not only in North Africa but across the Middle East, and also elsewhere in the Muslim world. Unfortunately, self-funded PhDs, especially in science and tech, are regarded less highly than those which are funded by the academic world: this is essentially because received wisdom says that good people get funded, and less good people have to pay. It's very daft really, to the extent that it's meaningless - as you've found out, as an overseas student, you aren't eligible for the majority of funding programmes: you would have to apply through the Overseas research competition, which is not only extremely competitive, but also tends to favour arts and humanities (because there is anyway less funding available for this). However, from what it says, you have got a scholarship from Anglia Ruskin anyway - so this is great, because it counts as having secured funding in a competitive environment, which helps in terms of getting future employment (you've shown you can attract competitive funding). Clearly, it's not the same as having secured a fee waiver and stipendiary funding - but it puts you in a lot better position than someone who has completely self-funded.

The other advantage you almost certainly have as an Algerian citizen is French as a second language: this is also great, because it opens up employment in West Africa - places like Guinea, for example. The bad news is that unfortunately, French academia, which would be a perfect option for you, is a rather corrupt system that seems to depend very heavily on a system of patronage, which effectively rules out people who haven't studied in France - and a huge number of people who have. That said, you have the entire Francophone world at your feet, as well as the Arabic-speaking one, so you are in a much, much stronger position than many other people.

All of this is good news - and opens up your teaching options actually far wider than if you were only able to speak English (like most English people) and because you have a far wider range of options, it actually maybe is worthwhile to stay at AR: especially if you would be happy in West Africa, because there is a lot of high regard for British degrees, and less distinction than in Anglophone Africa about where they come from. Equally, if you'd be happy to go to, say Saudi or the Gulf, you'd have a great chance of a really super salary, and if you are more interested in teaching than being stuck in the lab, not only would you be an asset, but again, you have an enormous language advantage.

Further, if you moved out of Europe to the developing world, you would have far more opportunities in terms of getting involved in things for the UN etc - if you go to the UN main website, you can see tenders that are up for grabs, and if you go on to the UN volunteers page, you could see if there's anything you can get involved in now that might help build up your profile.

If your main goal was to be fulfilling a dream to do a PhD in the UK, I would say stay at AR: know I know where you're from, I think this would actually end up in your degree having more value because you've shown your competency in three major world languages, and I think if you dream really to teach, this would probably be best. I'm sorry to be blunt, but I think your chances of employment in the UK or the US is probably quite unlikely because of the combination of factors we've already talked about: but as that wasn't really your goal, that's not too important. However, what you actually want to do is far, far more exciting and interesting - and also, far more achievable in the long run. You would save money going to Hungary, but if your supervisor was the main reason for choosing AR, and the fact you have a scholarship, together probably slightly outweigh the benefits of moving. I think, if you'd be happy to be in west/north Africa or the Gulf, you'd honestly do best to stay put. If you'd prefer to work in Eastern Europe, then switch. Does that make sense at all?

Yes, it does make. Thanks a lot, I really needed that good and honest news.
Good luck with whatever you do!
Hey, I recently received an offer for Ph.D. in International Development Economics from University of East Anglia but I am worried about the job prospects in the UK for international graduates .

Can anyone shed some light on the job scene in the UK ,whether it is possible to secure a job and the level of competition .I have no idea as to what the job scene is right now in the UK other than it looks grim in general . I am a student from India and would appreciate any information on this regard.

Latest

Trending

Trending