The Student Room Group

Management schemes - lead to a decent job?

Hi all.

just asking for some advice and reassurance. My partner has finished his degree and is now looking for full time work. He doesn't want to do anything within his degree sector so seems to be applying for anything and everything. He has now been through the first stage if interviews and got through, for a supermarket management scheme.

What I want to know is, well, a few things!

1. Are these schemes able to lead to a decent and well paid job at the end of it?
2. Is it looked at as a crappy job with no career development or prospects?

My parents want him to be going for something career worthy (if that makes sense) and already seem to look down on him which I don't feel is fair. How can I explain that this is a good thing what he is going for?

advice needed please!
Original post by J-SP
It depends on the supermarket. I know Sainsbury's grad scheme has a pretty strong reputation. Aldi's is known for paying incredibly well but the job itself isn't great, and used to have a very high attrition rate a few years back - but that might have improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is sainsburys but I didn't know it had a good rep? Do you know of anyone who has gone through it?
Aren't these schemes basically fast-track schemes into a fairly high level store management position? If so, seems fairly "career worthy" to me... I don't see why companies would invest in recruiting graduates, provide them with training and development, only for them to be gotten rid of at the end.
Reply 3
Original post by Studentlass
Hi all.

just asking for some advice and reassurance. My partner has finished his degree and is now looking for full time work. He doesn't want to do anything within his degree sector so seems to be applying for anything and everything. He has now been through the first stage if interviews and got through, for a supermarket management scheme.

What I want to know is, well, a few things!

1. Are these schemes able to lead to a decent and well paid job at the end of it?
2. Is it looked at as a crappy job with no career development or prospects?

My parents want him to be going for something career worthy (if that makes sense) and already seem to look down on him which I don't feel is fair. How can I explain that this is a good thing what he is going for?

advice needed please!

they seem good to me. I know some one who started at asda in trading and he's doing very well. Most of the supermarket graduate schemes have good progression and you can work up to senior management.
(edited 9 years ago)
John Lewis/Waitrose are excellent!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending