The Student Room Group

Accidentally shoplifted - what should I do?

I was in Asda earlier and saw a packet of these Post It page marker stickers which I decided to get for uni. I picked them up and then went to get all the other items I needed - some kitchen utensils, cleaning stuff etc. I then found my mum and put the items in the trolley. When I got to the checkout, I realised the page markers weren't there, figured I must have dropped them and went to get another packet. Then when I get home I found them in my jeans pocket :/ I don't even remember putting them there, I think I thought they were my shopping list as I was walking around haha! I'm not sure what to do now because I am really against shoplifting (even though it wasn't deliberate). Would it be okay if I go give them back and explain? I just don't want to get in trouble if they don't believe me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, don't give them back.

They'll try and screw you over for shoplifting.

Think of it as a lesson learnt.
Reply 2
If you didn't set the detectors off you're fine - it'd cost them more in fuel and time to chase you up about it anyway.
If you really feel that guilty, just go and put them back on the shelf.
you'll get life for this. there won't be any post-it page marker stickers where you're going.
Reply 4
Original post by white boy
you'll get life for this. there won't be any post-it page marker stickers where you're going.

University is full of them.
Confession. Find your nearest Catholic church.
Reply 6
Do 100 hail Marys so you won't go to hell

seriously though just be careful next time.
Reply 7
I believe the law in the UK requires intent. Therefore if you accidentally shoplift something you have not intended to do so and therefore no crime has been committed. (although happy to be corrected by one of our many legal experts on here).

Return the item and you'll be fine.
Reply 8
Original post by Reue
I believe the law in the UK requires intent. Therefore if you accidentally shoplift something you have not intended to do so and therefore no crime has been committed. (although happy to be corrected by one of our many legal experts on here).

True, but at the point when one realises that they have appropriated the markers, if they then intend to permanently deprive it or do not return it in a reasonable time it can be theft :P
Original post by godd
No, don't give them back.

They'll try and screw you over for shoplifting.

Think of it as a lesson learnt.

Why on earth would they do that when she returned the item?

They won't give a ****. They'd probably laugh and say they couldn't believe she actually returned it.
Original post by Niamhrado
I was in Asda earlier and saw a packet of these Post It page marker stickers which I decided to get for uni. I picked them up and then went to get all the other items I needed - some kitchen utensils, cleaning stuff etc. I then found my mum and put the items in the trolley. When I got to the checkout, I realised the page markers weren't there, figured I must have dropped them and went to get another packet. Then when I get home I found them in my jeans pocket :/ I don't even remember putting them there, I think I thought they were my shopping list as I was walking around haha! I'm not sure what to do now because I am really against shoplifting (even though it wasn't deliberate). Would it be okay if I go give them back and explain? I just don't want to get in trouble if they don't believe me.

Are you sure your not just a shoplifter that developed a conscience? Btw supermarkets are looking to deter petty thieves, so you would be the perfect example to arrest and put before a magistrates. Your better off staying quiet,LOL.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
You won't get in trouble because they did not catch you. If you tell them, they will prosecute you to deter others from shoplifting (intentionally or not). There may be little case against you and you'll probably get off, but is it worth the hassle?

I once did the same thing. Just move past it and be more careful not to do the same thing again in the future.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by TolerantBeing
Why on earth would they do that when she returned the item?

They won't give a ****. They'd probably laugh and say they couldn't believe she actually returned it.

try it next time and see what happens to you.
Erm, just keep them. Do you know how much stuff gets nicked from asda on a daily basis, no one's gonna miss a set of post it notes.
Use the post it notes to confess your crime. Stick them all over the shop.
Reply 15
Original post by Reue

This. There also needs to be an intent to permanently deprive, which doesn't occur in accidentally taking them out the shop but does in deciding to later keep them.

There's no way you'll be detained in the shop or have any charges libelled against you, as taking the item back shows you had no intention to deprive.
Either go back and offer to pay for them, or pay it forward and make a monetary donation to a charity. It is obviously bothering you and either course could help you to feel better.
Original post by pjm600
This. There also needs to be an intent to permanently deprive, which doesn't occur in accidentally taking them out the shop but does in deciding to later keep them.

There's no way you'll be detained in the shop or have any charges libelled against you, as taking the item back shows you had no intention to deprive.

You're way over thinking this. It's post it notes!!!

I'm pretty sure that shops are only allowed to contact police if they catch a shoplifter with an item above £10 (or £20 I can't remember) in the first place.

You people are ridiculously over thinking this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by godd
try it next time and see what happens to you.

:rolleyes:
Thank the lord

Latest

Trending

Trending