The Student Room Group

Did anyone live in a shared house/flat in their first year instead of halls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
leahk

i also didn't get halls accommodation. are you studying at sheffield uni or hallam ??
Original post by leahk
I am starting my first year at uni in 3 weeks and I have just found out I didn't get a place in university halls so I'm having to have to find private accommodation in a shared house/flat. I am really worried about this as I wont know the people i'm moving in with and it will only be like 3 or 4 other people. Was anyone else in this situation for their first year? Am I going to miss out on alot? Will the uni experience be different as I wont get to go to hall socials and wont be surrounded by alot of students? I am so worried about this, im seriously considering deferring my place :frown:

I had this my first year, and I hated it really, though at my uni there were only enough halls for like 100 people so most people had to live in student houses and I think it's deffo different to halls because if you don't like your house mates you don't have that much of a chance to mix with other students like you would it halls accept for people on your course and thats it really. I think it's a lot less social.
Reply 22
Original post by mimi1995
leahk

i also didn't get halls accommodation. are you studying at sheffield uni or hallam ??

im at Sheffield uni. I recommend that you go down to the uni as they will help you find somewhere! I went today and got a really great place!

Original post by ShannonS-J
I had this my first year, and I hated it really, though at my uni there were only enough halls for like 100 people so most people had to live in student houses and I think it's deffo different to halls because if you don't like your house mates you don't have that much of a chance to mix with other students like you would it halls accept for people on your course and thats it really. I think it's a lot less social.

yeah i know it will be less social, but i have ended up in a block of apartments that are full of like 20 other first years and its also 2 mins away from the usual halls so it shouldnt be too bad! ive also met my house mates and they seem nice :smile: why didnt you enjoy it, was it the house you didnt like or your flatmates?
Reply 23
Original post by leahk
im at Sheffield uni. I recommend that you go down to the uni as they will help you find somewhere! I went today and got a really great place!

yeah i know it will be less social, but i have ended up in a block of apartments that are full of like 20 other first years and its also 2 mins away from the usual halls so it shouldnt be too bad! ive also met my house mates and they seem nice :smile: why didnt you enjoy it, was it the house you didnt like or your flatmates?

im going to hallam, thy have a househunting event next week so hopefully i will find something. the 20 appartment block sounds good, enough people to find some you get along with .
was wondering the rooms you saw with the uni , had you seen them online or had the uni already reserved rooms for you to look at?
Reply 24
im going to hallam, thy have a househunting event next week so hopefully i will find something. the 20 appartment block sounds good, enough people to find some you get along with .
was wondering the rooms you saw with the uni , had you seen them online or had the uni already reserved rooms for you to look at?

yeah i got mine at a house hunting event. we got into groups and then they gave us a list of houses to look at that they had reserved especially. so the building where im staying is made up of apartments for 3,4 or 5 people and i think the uni reserved them all for first years. they should have lots available, you will find something!
Reply 25

Hi
I'm in the same situation as you, I've been looking at the private sector accommodation through the Hallam website and have found a few which I would consider but I do not know people to share with. I feel like the houehunting event is the best way to meet people but there is no guarantee that I will be viewing the houses I want.
Reply 26
Original post by Ollie07
Hi
I'm in the same situation as you, I've been looking at the private sector accommodation through the Hallam website and have found a few which I would consider but I do not know people to share with. I feel like the houehunting event is the best way to meet people but there is no guarantee that I will be viewing the houses I want.

I don't know if it's the same with Hallam, but at sheffield uni, they had set aside a few houses that weren't displayed on the website and they were actually a lot better so I'm sure you will find one you like at the house hunting event :smile: good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending