The Student Room Group

Mental Health + UCAS + Finance

Hi, I was getting all my stuff ready on UCAS as I'm trying to apply to do a creative writing course (probably paired with something else) and i came across mental health in the disability bit. I've been diagnosed with mixed anxiety and depression disorder and it looks like something i should disclose?

I don't know if i should? It does effect my work a lot as for A level i studied mostly at home as i got too anxious to come in. Thing is i still managed good grades: two A's for a levels and an B for AS (3 a levels were too much for me due to anxiety hence not 3 full a levels)

Can I get student financial help because of this?

I'm not trying to use my diagnosis to get money, I'm more confused about whether I should put it down, and if I can get any help with it?
Is there any stigma attached to putting it on your application?
Any advice would be appreciated.

- Kay
There is no stigma attached to declaring MH problems (or any other disability) on your UCAS form. It's very likely your referee will bring this up as they will want to explain why you didn't complete 3 full A-levels.

Universities tend to have lots of support available for people with issues such as MH problems, but unlike at school/college, people aren't so closely involved, so may not notice you are having problems unless you tell them. If you disclose your issues on your form, then the university will work with you to make your life easier.

Sometimes there is financial help available for people with disabilities- however, the rules on this have got a lot stricter, so this may not apply to you. DSA (disabled students allowance) is usually used to pay for extra things you might need beyond the average student to access your course- for example note takers for people with various issues which makes it hard for them to take notes in lectures. If you talk to the university in advance about your needs, then they may advise you on the support they think you will need, and help you apply for DSA.

If you are likely to have issues, such as sometimes not being able to turn up to compulsory sessions due to anxiety, things will generally be easier if you've explained potential problems in advance.

So, there's no reason not to disclose, and you'll get lots more help and support if you do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending