The Student Room Group

King's College London GEM (A102) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by Jazzy Foot
Ah OK.

I was hoping maybe they had done a U-turn, was really keen on applying to King's.

The pool of choices is fast diminishing; Warwick, Southampton, Swansea, St Georges, Nottingham, Newcastle and Cambridge.

I will probably go for Warwick, Nottingham, Cambridge, and Southampton/St Georges.

Lol that's still a lot compared to how many I could apply to without science a levels and just ukcat
Reply 481
Original post by Going_To_California
We get a full maintenance loan, but no grant... Maximum is ~£8k per year. So just £36k to magically find :P

If you get 8k maintenance loan (where did you read this BTW) you would not need to find 36 k would be about 20 k to find ... You put some of the maintenance towards fees about 3 - 4k worth
Original post by H-W-T
If you get 8k maintenance loan (where did you read this BTW) you would not need to find 36 k would be about 20 k to find ... You put some of the maintenance towards fees about 3 - 4k worth

I emailed King's - "Student's on a five year programme can apply for the maintenance loan from the Student Finance England for the first four years of their course (up to £8,009 subject to your household income). In your 5th year you will be NHS funded as well as you will be able to apply for the reduced rate maintenance loan, and tuition fee loan up to £5,535 (NHS will be paying only a part of your tuition fees - up to £3465)."

£8K isn't loads to live on in London, so putting half of that into fees wouldn't be feasible unless you have some other, fairly substantial, income.
Reply 483
I emailed King's - "Student's on a five year programme can apply for the maintenance loan from the Student Finance England for the first four years of their course (up to £8,009 subject to your household income). In your 5th year you will be NHS funded as well as you will be able to apply for the reduced rate maintenance loan, and tuition fee loan up to £5,535 (NHS will be paying only a part of your tuition fees - up to £3465)."

£8K isn't loads to live on in London, so putting half of that into fees wouldn't be feasible unless you have some other, fairly substantial, income.

Ive planned it out if the sponsorship doesnt go to plan

I will commute from my home to london which is still cheaper than living in london for the 6 and a half months that we are at university anyway. I will need an on peak rail ticket which will cost me 3500 pounds so i can make the 9 ams (I will be catching the high speed), with that leaves 12500 to pay plus food costs ( will be bringing packed lunch from home too :P) ... minus the 8k thats 4500 to find...i can earn 3k in the summer holidays each year so 1.5 k to fund from my job this year ....not too much stress as i can work on the train

(i thought i would share this instead of pm for others benefit who are also wondering)
Original post by H-W-T

I will commute from my home to london which is still cheaper than living in london for the 6 and a half months that we are at university anyway. I will need an on peak rail ticket which will cost me 3500 pounds so i can make the 9 ams (I will be catching the high speed), with that leaves 12500 to pay plus food costs ( will be bringing packed lunch from home too :P) ... minus the 8k thats 4500 to find...i can earn 3k in the summer holidays each year so 1.5 k to fund from my job this year ....not too much stress as i can work on the train

(i thought i would share this instead of pm for others benefit who are also wondering)

Sounds like a good plan! I wish I lived anywhere near London :P
Reply 485
Sounds like a good plan! I wish I lived anywhere near London :P

i live in canterbury where do you live?
Original post by H-W-T
i live in canterbury where do you live?

I live in the North West... Bit too far to commute, sadly :P
Original post by H-W-T

Overall sounds like a good plan, but do bear in mind that the 8k quoted is the maximum loan that you can get as a student living away from the parental home and studying in London. If you're living with your parents (assuming this is what you meant) then you will not get anywhere near this much, and it's not an amount that is increased by studying in London. Worth checking out your options by using the student finance calculator, it should give you a better idea of what to expect in terms of loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anybody else with an offer doing an MSc and finishing in September? I got my letter the other day and apparently they want to see my results before the 31st of August which is obviously not possible. Haven't emailed them about it yet, wanted to see if there was anyone else in the same boat first.
Reply 489
Original post by dshinkov
Is anybody else with an offer doing an MSc and finishing in September? I got my letter the other day and apparently they want to see my results before the 31st of August which is obviously not possible. Haven't emailed them about it yet, wanted to see if there was anyone else in the same boat first.

Hey I am. And I'm doing it at Kings too. I think it's quite ridiculous as we already have our undergrad degree. I called yesterday and was told to email them. I can let you know what the response is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by santi_92
Hey I am. And I'm doing it at Kings too. I think it's quite ridiculous as we already have our undergrad degree. I called yesterday and was told to email them. I can let you know what the response is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be great, thank you. I am going to speak to my course leader as well to see whether I can have my final presentation two weeks earlier in stead of taking out a summer holiday, but I doubt it will be possible.
Reply 491
That would be great, thank you. I am going to speak to my course leader as well to see whether I can have my final presentation two weeks earlier in stead of taking out a summer holiday, but I doubt it will be possible.

So I got a reply and it's not good news. Here's what she said:

Dear santi_92,

Thank you for your message.

We would need to see a final mark which would be inclusive of the completion of your research by the end of Aug. The issue is, we cannot have a student be enrolled in two programmes at the same time. If you still will be studying in Sept, we wouldnt be able to allow you to enrol and we would be forced to auto offer you a place for 2016 entry. This would be for A100 only.

Its highly unlikely that placed will become available on GPEP and if a place does become available, it would be at the discretion of the tutor to decide who to offer the place to. If that happened to be you, we would be in touch at that point.

I hope this is helpful and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further queries.

Yours sincerely,
Katie Goodwin, Admission Officer, Medicine

I guess I definitely won't be going to King's this year. Although a year out isn't the worst thing in the world.

Hopefully I get an offer from Warwick because this makes it much easier to pick Warwick over King's.
So I got a reply and it's not good news. Here's what she said:

Dear santi_92,

Thank you for your message.

We would need to see a final mark which would be inclusive of the completion of your research by the end of Aug. The issue is, we cannot have a student be enrolled in two programmes at the same time. If you still will be studying in Sept, we wouldnt be able to allow you to enrol and we would be forced to auto offer you a place for 2016 entry. This would be for A100 only.

Its highly unlikely that placed will become available on GPEP and if a place does become available, it would be at the discretion of the tutor to decide who to offer the place to. If that happened to be you, we would be in touch at that point.

I hope this is helpful and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further queries.

Yours sincerely,
Katie Goodwin, Admission Officer, Medicine

I guess I definitely won't be going to King's this year. Although a year out isn't the worst thing in the world.

Hopefully I get an offer from Warwick because this makes it much easier to pick Warwick over King's.

This is ridiculous, they can't refuse us entry for being effectively more qualified. When does your Master's program finish in September?
Original post by Darlajane
Hello! I've been watching this thread for a while but I just thought I'd say 'Hi' and that I got my rejection through today after a couple of months of waiting. I wasn't expecting to get anything as it really is soooooo competitive and it was my first medical interview ever so I didn't do that well really. But congratulations to everyone who got offers! I would have loved to have gone to Kings... although my husband was not so keen since we live 2 miles away from Warwick Uni so he's hoping I get in there... interviews are next week... I guess I need to practice a bit more!!!!

Congratulations on getting the interview- that in itself is pretty impressive! Onwards and upwards! :smile: Btw any advice in getting to the interview stage?
Reply 494
This is ridiculous, they can't refuse us entry for being effectively more qualified. When does your Master's program finish in September?

It is unfair. I called before I applied to enquire about the start date and I was told it would be fine. What sucks is I'm a student there so I'm already in the system but there's nothing we can do I guess. I will have completed everything by August except the poster presentation which I'll be doing September 15th or 18th. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is unfair. I called before I applied to enquire about the start date and I was told it would be fine. What sucks is I'm a student there so I'm already in the system but there's nothing we can do I guess. I will have completed everything by August except the poster presentation which I'll be doing September 15th or 18th. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why can't they accept your BSc alone?
Reply 496
Original post by Absorbaloff
Why can't they accept your BSc alone?

No idea. I'd understand if I got a 2:2 because then the MSc would be relevant but I didn't. She did mention in her email I can't be enrolled on two courses at the same time. It all seems rather ridiculous to be honest, especially as the only thing I have to do in September is present my poster which doesn't take a lot of prep as long as you know your research.
No idea. I'd understand if I got a 2:2 because then the MSc would be relevant but I didn't. She did mention in her email I can't be enrolled on two courses at the same time. It all seems rather ridiculous to be honest, especially as the only thing I have to do in September is present my poster which doesn't take a lot of prep as long as you know your research.

Would you be OK with leaving the course earlier, I think you still get a qualification, but a different one?

I hope you get into Warwick though, then you can tell King's to piss off!
Reply 498
Original post by Absorbaloff
Would you be OK with leaving the course earlier, I think you still get a qualification, but a different one?

I hope you get into Warwick though, then you can tell King's to piss off!

Nah, I'm doing the MSc because I wanted it, not in order to boost my med application. And I haven't gone through some of the most difficult times of my life, which also costs £9200, just to leave it early for King's.

Thanks, really hoping for Warwick. But absolute worst case scenario, I start 2016 instead.
Nah, I'm doing the MSc because I wanted it, not in order to boost my med application. And I haven't gone through some of the most difficult times of my life, which also costs £9200, just to leave it early for King's.

Thanks, really hoping for Warwick. But absolute worst case scenario, I start 2016 instead.

Good luck man, if you haven't been on the Warwick thread, odds are looking good for interviewees :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending