The Student Room Group

A message to all the tailgaters

Hi,

please stop driving so close to the back of my car, I am doing the speed limit and will not go any faster as I have a black box and I will be fined by my insurance company for illegally driving over the speed limit. If I were doing 20mph in a 30mph zone, fair enough, however I'm not. I'm driving bang on 30mph in a 30mph zone which is the maximum speed limit.

P.s. To the next level retards in this world, if I am driving down the motorway in the left hand lane, don't tailgate me, just change lane and overtake duh.

Thank you.

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Outside lane is the lane nearest the other side (right hand lane).

I know how you feel about the box though- although I don't get fined with mine. That's a hit harsh haha.
Reply 2
Original post by Runninground
Outside lane is the lane nearest the other side (right hand lane).

I know how you feel about the box though- although I don't get fined with mine. That's a hit harsh haha.

Oh I would've thought the outside lane was the lane nearest to the hard shoulder, I'll change my post then.

What insurance company are you with may I ask?
Original post by Walkaah
Oh I would've thought the outside lane was the lane nearest to the hard shoulder, I'll change my post then.

What insurance company are you with may I ask?

It used to confuse me. But the outside lane is the 'fast lane'.

I'm with insurethebox. How about you?
Reply 4
It used to confuse me. But the outside lane is the 'fast lane'.

I'm with insurethebox. How about you?

I'm with Ingenie and get regular driving feedback (probably just like you do too) and they'll inform me if my speed is either good, okay, needs improvement or unsafe. Not only will they fine me if I regularly break the speed limit but when I go to renew my insurance next year the price will be higher which is understandable to be fair.

I try to do 30mph on the dot as much as possible, but doing so I run the risk of breaking the speed limit. In result of this I have to constantly keep looking down (eyes off the road) which I believe is actually dangerous and one of the flaws of the black box. I could just do around 25mph so won't have to keep looking down but I've got places to be just like everyone else, so if I'm doing that speed constantly I won't get anywhere. You can't win really...
Reply 5
why on earth have you got one of those silly things fitted.
Reply 6
I had a black box and had to drive at the limit for a year :frown:
Get a GPS speedo app for your phone. You may find that when it says 30mph on your dashboard, its actually more like 26mph (as measured by your phone) , so u can speed up a bit - as the GPS that the black box uses is accurate, unlike some spedos which can be 10% under depending on factors such as tyre tread.
Original post by Walkaah
I'm with Ingenie and get regular driving feedback (probably just like you do too) and they'll inform me if my speed is either good, okay, needs improvement or unsafe. Not only will they fine me if I regularly break the speed limit but when I go to renew my insurance next year the price will be higher which is understandable to be fair.

I try to do 30mph on the dot as much as possible, but doing so I run the risk of breaking the speed limit. In result of this I have to constantly keep looking down (eyes off the road) which I believe is actually dangerous and one of the flaws of the black box. I could just do around 25mph so won't have to keep looking down but I've got places to be just like everyone else, so if I'm doing that speed constantly I won't get anywhere. You can't win really...

Yeah. I was careful in my first year and a half, but after that I wasn't really too bothered. My insurance works on miles - you buy a set amount at the start and use those as you drive. Then you earn bonus miles if you drive well. I had earned so many bonus miles in my first year I didn't really need any more, so I could afford to go over the speed limit and lose some miles. However i'm getting rid of it soon.

I don't think it's too difficult to keep at a speed limit without looking at the speedo. If you go one or two mph over it doesn't matter, it's only if you go at say 45mph in a 30mph. I have seen stickers that you can put in the back of your car that say something like 'No matter how close you get, I won't go over the limit - I've got a black box'. I guess that might make you feel better as you know the other drivers know.

Also I used to think everyone was tailgating but they always look close through your interior mirror. I judge it by if I can see the number plate or not.

Original post by JC.

I would rather drive around with one of them in my car than pay an extra £2k on my first year insurance.
Reply 8
I don't think it's too difficult to keep at a speed limit without looking at the speedo. If you go one or two mph over it doesn't matter, it's only if you go at say 45mph in a 30mph. I have seen stickers that you can put in the back of your car that say something like 'No matter how close you get, I won't go over the limit - I've got a black box'. I guess that might make you feel better as you know the other drivers know.

Lol yeah I've seen one that says 'you're so close you might as well get in' and 'don't like my driving? **** off then.' < One way to get shot by some loon.

Original post by JC.

I would rather drive around with one of them in my car than pay an extra £2k on my first year insurance.

:adore:
Reply 9
???? My first years insurance was about 700 quid!
Reply 10
Original post by JC.
???? My first years insurance was about 700 quid!

Mine was £2,164 with a black box aged 17. Insurance costs more than my car :mad:
Reply 11
Original post by Walkaah
Mine was £2,164 with a black box aged 17. Insurance costs more than my car :mad:

That's mental.
:eek:
Ill be getting my first report (score) at then end of the week. I fu**ing hate it when people get up my ass as well, Your lucky we have freaking 20mph speed limits on main roads in some parts of london...
Reply 13
Original post by Joeey009
Ill be getting my first report (score) at then end of the week. I fu**ing hate it when people get up my ass as well, Your lucky we have freaking 20mph speed limits on main roads in some parts of london...

I live in London so trust me I know about it and it does my head in. What do you think of this sticker?

Original post by Walkaah

Original post by JC.
That's mental.
:eek:

Mine was more than that for 9 months!

Original post by Walkaah
I live in London so trust me I know about it and it does my head in. What do you think of this sticker?

That's just inflammatory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Walkaah

Brill that sticker I think, love ones like that, bought this couple months ago for my car...

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410216139.651034.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by mattcam94

Haha that's awesome!

I wouldn't get a sticker personally as I wouldn't want to annoy anyone deliberately. Doing the speed limit is somewhat out of my control as I'll have to face the consequences handed out by my insurer, but putting a sticker saying something like 'I'm doing the speed limit **** off' is asking for trouble. The thing is, we're not trying to piss anyone off we just gotta do what we gotta do! :tongue:
Reckon that would piss people off more lol.
Reply 18
Original post by Joeey009
Reckon that would piss people off more lol.

Yep and that's the last thing you want to do in this day and age, probs end up getting shot
Original post by Walkaah
Yep and that's the last thing you want to do in this day and age, probs end up getting shot

Hmmm wouldn't surprise me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending