The Student Room Group

Anyone NOT going to university after A Levels?

So I'm doing an extra year at sixth form to get my full 3 A Levels and I'm starting to think, is university for me?! Literally everybody I know is going to university after they've finished their A Levels which I know isn't surprising as that's literally what they're for, entry to university. I'd just love to know those of you who aren't planning on going to university and what your plans are? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Plenty of people go into work after A-levels, although admittedly not as many who go to university. Don't feel pressured into going to university if your heart isn't in it - I have several friends who left after A-level, all of whom are perfectly happy, and in full time jobs.
Reply 2
Original post by tory88
Plenty of people go into work after A-levels, although admittedly not as many who go to university. Don't feel pressured into going to university if your heart isn't in it - I have several friends who left after A-level, all of whom are perfectly happy, and in full time jobs.

I agree. I'm only 18 and have no idea what I want to do with my life. I don't want to step into a degree just for the sake of having a degree because I know that it takes a lot of dedication! What kind of jobs did they go into? :smile:
Original post by sophiejaz
So I'm doing an extra year at sixth form to get my full 3 A Levels and I'm starting to think, is university for me?! Literally everybody I know is going to university after they've finished their A Levels which I know isn't surprising as that's literally what they're for, entry to university. I'd just love to know those of you who aren't planning on going to university and what your plans are? :biggrin:

Apprenticeships are always a good idea if you do not plan to go to university.

And of course full time jobs are just as fine. I think it's understandable why someone would not want to continue education after so many continuous years of participating in it xD
Reply 4
Original post by LividLion
Apprenticeships are always a good idea if you do not plan to go to university.

And of course full time jobs are just as fine. I think it's understandable why someone would not want to continue education after so many continuous years of participating in it xD

Yepp, an apprenticeship is definitely one of my options! Apparently there are apprenticeships that actually require A Levels. :smile: Haha, I agree... It just gets so sickening sometimes! Unless you find a subject that you're really passionate, it can get really dull! :tongue:

Never feel pressured to go to university to study something you arent 100% sure you want to study, or it might not end up too well. I'm the same, I've looked at courses and nothing sounds to my liking after doing AS-levels, so I'm going to carry on with and finish A-levels because they show something a bit more than GCSEs and until 18 there aren't as many options for employment so might as well use that time constructively. Anyway I wish you all the best with you A-levels and for the future. P.S I'd have a look at "notgoingtouni.com" perhaps an informative and interesting read for you.
Yepp, an apprenticeship is definitely one of my options! Apparently there are apprenticeships that actually require A Levels. :smile: Haha, I agree... It just gets so sickening sometimes! Unless you find a subject that you're really passionate, it can get really dull! :tongue:

If I hadn't plans to go to university I would absolutely head into an apprenticeship, there are so many to choose from here, it's amazing.

Until you get bored of that subject you liked.. Like me.. :biggrin: It's sickening but worth it.
Reply 7
Original post by rellovrollover
Never feel pressured to go to university to study something you arent 100% sure you want to study, or it might not end up too well. I'm the same, I've looked at courses and nothing sounds to my liking after doing AS-levels, so I'm going to carry on with and finish A-levels because they show something a bit more than GCSEs and until 18 there aren't as many options for employment so might as well use that time constructively. Anyway I wish you all the best with you A-levels and for the future. P.S I'd have a look at "notgoingtouni.com" perhaps an informative and interesting read for you.

I'm glad other people feel this way as well! Exactly, for the sake of one extra year you may as well complete your A Levels as you never know when you might need them, or whether you change your mind and decide that you want to go to university in the future... they'll always be there. :smile:
I will take a look at that website, thank you! And good luck for your final year also.
Reply 8
Original post by LividLion
If I hadn't plans to go to university I would absolutely head into an apprenticeship, there are so many to choose from here, it's amazing.

Until you get bored of that subject you liked.. Like me.. :biggrin: It's sickening but worth it.

I know, I think they're a great option. Sometimes people end up in better jobs than people who actually do degrees! But I know what you mean, it is worth it. I think I may just be having a beginning of the academic year existential crisis thinking about the work haha. :biggrin: Maybe through the year I might find a degree that appeals to me :tongue:
I'm glad other people feel this way as well! Exactly, for the sake of one extra year you may as well complete your A Levels as you never know when you might need them, or whether you change your mind and decide that you want to go to university in the future... they'll always be there. :smile:
I will take a look at that website, thank you! And good luck for your final year also.

Well exactly they'll never be a disadvantage, they show that you can work hard and stick to something at least. No problem and thank you very, have a good night :smile:
It's good to be different.
Reply 11
Yes, I'm starting a school leaver programme in accountancy. I don't know anyone in real life who's doing an apprenticeship after college, actually. Everyone I know is either going to university or taking a gap year. I don't care though, I think this is the right route for me and if it's not I can always go back to university when I'm older.
Reply 12
Not going to uni either. At the moment life and mental health issues stop me. Maybe in 5 years time if everything gets sorted... Not sure what exactly I am going to do after college though. :sad:
Reply 13
Original post by 8472
Not going to uni either. At the moment life and mental health issues stop me. Maybe in 5 years time if everything gets sorted... Not sure what exactly I am going to do after college though. :sad:

I know, sometimes it can all get a bit too much! :frown: But you've probably made the best decision, going to university with other problems and not being ready would be the worst idea ever so delaying it is wise. Hopefully we both find our feet! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Toriar
Yes, I'm starting a school leaver programme in accountancy. I don't know anyone in real life who's doing an apprenticeship after college, actually. Everyone I know is either going to university or taking a gap year. I don't care though, I think this is the right route for me and if it's not I can always go back to university when I'm older.

Is that where they pay for you to do a degree but you also work on the job? That sounds great! That's true, you'll always have your A Levels so you have loads of options if that doesn't work out. But good luck! :smile:
Reply 15
I know, sometimes it can all get a bit too much! :frown: But you've probably made the best decision, going to university with other problems and not being ready would be the worst idea ever so delaying it is wise. Hopefully we both find our feet! :biggrin:

Well I don't really have a choice on whether to go or not. That was decided for the most part when I was about 7 years old. But yeah I f I really really wanted to go I could just about get it sorted and go. It of course would probably destroy me as i'm not ready for it. :sadnod:
Reply 16
Original post by 8472
Well I don't really have a choice on whether to go or not. That was decided for the most part when I was about 7 years old. But yeah I f I really really wanted to go I could just about get it sorted and go. It of course would probably destroy me as i'm not ready for it. :sadnod:

Ah, I guess that must be hard. Well I hope things get better for you! And good luck for the future. :hugs:
Reply 17
Is that where they pay for you to do a degree but you also work on the job? That sounds great! That's true, you'll always have your A Levels so you have loads of options if that doesn't work out. But good luck! :smile:

Yeah it's that sort of thing except I don't get a degree but I have to do exams to become a chartered accountant. Thanks for the luck :smile:

Original post by 8472

Do you know what job you want? It may be that you could do an apprenticeship to help you get that job, I know a lot of people look down on apprenticeships as only for the stupid people but I think that's a load of rubbish. Obviously if you want to be a doctor or something then ignore me :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Toriar

Do you know what job you want? It may be that you could do an apprenticeship to help you get that job, I know a lot of people look down on apprenticeships as only for the stupid people but I think that's a load of rubbish. Obviously if you want to be a doctor or something then ignore me :smile:

Working in online community management. :lol: Sadly most places I have spoken require experience in terms of being officially employed on a community team or generally have the idea that you should be 20+. Which I won't be. :sad: So I need to look for something to do in the meantime.

Spoiler

Reply 19
Original post by 8472
Working in online community management. :lol: Sadly most places I have spoken require experience in terms of being officially employed on a community team or generally have the idea that you should be 20+. Which I won't be. :sad: So I need to look for something to do in the meantime.

Spoiler

Oh I see, I have a vague idea about online community management because I looked into it when I was like 13 and obsessed with Habbo and wanted to work for them (don't judge :tongue:) but I didn't know about the age limit. Have you tried asking if you can do a couple of weeks work experience?

Maybe in the meantime you could do some travelling if you're into that, or develop some skills that'll help you improve your CV by doing something like volunteering. I see you're a community assistant so I guess that would be at least some relevant experience?

Quick Reply

Latest