The Student Room Group

Need help deciding on a course

Hi, I am currently doing A2's and hoping to apply for uni in the coming months however I still do not know what course I am applying for. At AS level I did Bio, RS, Chem, Eng Lit and got AABC in these. I am predicted A*AA hopefully.

I like biology and would like to do a course related to biology but wouldn't mind a bio/chem course either so long as it interests me and the career prospects are good.

I was thinking optometry because it's biology related and the course seems interesting however I think it would narrow down my career options? :s-smilie:

I really don't know and would be grateful for any advice.
If you are really unsure, then I don't think you should apply for a course straight away. Could you get some work experience/shadowing in some areas you're interested in, to see if you actually like them as careers or not? It's very likely that for a vocational course like optometry you would need work experience to be successful in getting a place.

Have you considered taking a gap year and doing some work experience in various areas to help you decide?

Alternatively, doing a more general biological sciences degree or a biochemistry degree will open up doors to lots of careers, either directly related to the course, or perhaps slightly more indirectly related. If you're passionate about biology, this might be the way to go, instead of taking a specific vocational course which could shut down other career options, and could be a struggle if you decide you aren't keen.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you are really unsure, then I don't think you should apply for a course straight away. Could you get some work experience/shadowing in some areas you're interested in, to see if you actually like them as careers or not? It's very likely that for a vocational course like optometry you would need work experience to be successful in getting a place.

Have you considered taking a gap year and doing some work experience in various areas to help you decide?

Alternatively, doing a more general biological sciences degree or a biochemistry degree will open up doors to lots of careers, either directly related to the course, or perhaps slightly more indirectly related. If you're passionate about biology, this might be the way to go, instead of taking a specific vocational course which could shut down other career options, and could be a struggle if you decide you aren't keen.

Thanks a lot for the reply :smile:

I have considered taking a gap year to sort out my options and gain work experience, but at the same time I kind of want to go to university this year at the same time as all of my friends.. I dont want to go a year late to uni.

I'm kinda starting to sway towards doing a general biological sciences, biochemistry or even plain chemistry degree because they will keep my career options open and I enjoy the subjects. Also I wouldn't need much work experience for these sorts of general courses just to show interest right?
hopefully i should be able to get work experience during the holidays at uni, and that can help me decide for the future
Original post by sleepisheaven
Thanks a lot for the reply :smile:

I have considered taking a gap year to sort out my options and gain work experience, but at the same time I kind of want to go to university this year at the same time as all of my friends.. I dont want to go a year late to uni.

I'm kinda starting to sway towards doing a general biological sciences, biochemistry or even plain chemistry degree because they will keep my career options open and I enjoy the subjects. Also I wouldn't need much work experience for these sorts of general courses just to show interest right?
hopefully i should be able to get work experience during the holidays at uni, and that can help me decide for the future

It is honestly better to go a year late to uni that sign up to a course you aren't sure about and drop out part way through, with the extra debt and hassle that entails. Having done it, I really can't stress enough how hard it can be to continue with a course you just aren't that into- and equally having dropped out and gone to uni again starting at 20, I've found no issues with being an older student.

You're right, you won't need work experience for more academic courses. However, you will need to decide between them before applying, as you won't be able to tailor a statement to both chemistry and biological sciences courses adequately. Have you been to any open days yet? Visiting the departments might help you decide.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It is honestly better to go a year late to uni that sign up to a course you aren't sure about and drop out part way through, with the extra debt and hassle that entails. Having done it, I really can't stress enough how hard it can be to continue with a course you just aren't that into- and equally having dropped out and gone to uni again starting at 20, I've found no issues with being an older student.

You're right, you won't need work experience for more academic courses. However, you will need to decide between them before applying, as you won't be able to tailor a statement to both chemistry and biological sciences courses adequately. Have you been to any open days yet? Visiting the departments might help you decide.

I have been to a few open days and have about three more coming up, I'm going to try and go to as many talks as possible in the courses I am considering.

I get what you're saying about picking a course you're just not in to and I totally agree, it's just that I feel I would enjoy those sorts of academic courses because I'm genuinely interested in the subjects.

What you've said about going to uni late is really encouraging, thanks for that! It means I don't need to rush the decision which is a relief because I was kind of under the impression that going a year late is a big no-no, unless the course is really worth it 😜

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sleepisheaven
I have been to a few open days and have about three more coming up, I'm going to try and go to as many talks as possible in the courses I am considering.

I get what you're saying about picking a course you're just not in to and I totally agree, it's just that I feel I would enjoy those sorts of academic courses because I'm genuinely interested in the subjects.

What you've said about going to uni late is really encouraging, thanks for that! It means I don't need to rush the decision which is a relief because I was kind of under the impression that going a year late is a big no-no, unless the course is really worth it 😜

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, going a year late, after a gap year, or going even later as a mature student isn't unusual at all, and there's no reason why it would be a problem.

I think there is a bit of a difference between a genuine interest in a subject an A-level, and the kind of commitment needed to take you through 3-4 years of studying that subject and nothing else. However, hopefully if you go to more open days, you might become clearer about what the courses involve, and that could help you decide which you prefer, or if you're not ready to commit to either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending