The Student Room Group

Question Regarding the PWC Flying Start Degree

Hello, I am very passionate about becoming a charted accountant and the three universities that offer the "PWC Flying Start Degree" very much interested me.

What I was intrigued to know is, what kind of aspects are they looking for in someone who would like to be considered for this course?

I have currently just started Year 12 and up to now in terms of my extra curricular activites I have the following:

DofE Silver Award

Grade 1 merit and Grade 3 pass in the clarinet

Voluntary work at a British Heart Foundation store for 6 months

I have also secured 5 weeks of work experience at two different charted accountancy firms. One of them is a smaller firm (2 weeks) and the other is actually through Hyde Group (3 weeks in the Summer).

I ran for part-time, my own online business on eBay (through my Dad's approval and name) selling gaming currency to people and buying at a lower price. I stopped this after my Summer holidays as I wanted to focus on my academic studies.

In Year 12 I'm also going to be the IT Director for Young Enterprise and I'm possibly also thinking about doing DofE Gold Award.

However I was also wandering if I really need DofE Gold as I have heard that it is a big step up from the silver award and will it make any difference on my UCAS application?

Is what I am currently doing and have done good enough? What else could I do or focus on to give myself that competitive edge over other applicants?

Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing all your replies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I currently have an offer for the Newcastle course and am starting in 2 weeks.

You have a very impressive list there of extra curricular and work experience placements which I think will more than stand you in good stead to get an offer on one of them. I had probably the equivalent of 2 and a half weeks of financial work placements at three different companies whereas you have longer which is a bonus for you.

I didn't have DofE but I did do World Challenge, whether or not it was needed I don't know but what things like that do give you is examples of teamwork, leadership and problem solving to use in your interview because they are pretty much all "Give me an example of a time when...." questions. I would say doing the gold is up to you, but if its going to compromise your studies then don't do it as silver is more than enough.

I also did Young Enterprise and took the role of finance director. This was also good as it gave me lots of examples for the interview. I think this is a major bonus and doing this I would argue is more important than Gold DofE. Experience wise everything you have listed is enough in my opinion, and people probably get offers having done far less (including me as I didn't do any voluntary work as you listed).

What you need to focus on is just simply performing well in the interview (which is about 50 minutes long typically) and the group task, as you will inevitably get an invite. The key is not to be daunted. They really do just want to see what type of person you are, they aren't looking for you to outsmart everyone else, they want team players. Act professional, look professional, don't be the first to speak in the group task (as this comes across as too dominating), and just enjoy the process.

If they like you, they will give you an offer, there isn't a strict quota as such. You're more than qualified and definitely have the passion.

Hope this helps, drop me a message if you need more help or have more questions.
Reply 2
Original post by KForshaw
I currently have an offer for the Newcastle course and am starting in 2 weeks.

You have a very impressive list there of extra curricular and work experience placements which I think will more than stand you in good stead to get an offer on one of them. I had probably the equivalent of 2 and a half weeks of financial work placements at three different companies whereas you have longer which is a bonus for you.

I didn't have DofE but I did do World Challenge, whether or not it was needed I don't know but what things like that do give you is examples of teamwork, leadership and problem solving to use in your interview because they are pretty much all "Give me an example of a time when...." questions. I would say doing the gold is up to you, but if its going to compromise your studies then don't do it as silver is more than enough.

I also did Young Enterprise and took the role of finance director. This was also good as it gave me lots of examples for the interview. I think this is a major bonus and doing this I would argue is more important than Gold DofE. Experience wise everything you have listed is enough in my opinion, and people probably get offers having done far less (including me as I didn't do any voluntary work as you listed).

What you need to focus on is just simply performing well in the interview (which is about 50 minutes long typically) and the group task, as you will inevitably get an invite. The key is not to be daunted. They really do just want to see what type of person you are, they aren't looking for you to outsmart everyone else, they want team players. Act professional, look professional, don't be the first to speak in the group task (as this comes across as too dominating), and just enjoy the process.

If they like you, they will give you an offer, there isn't a strict quota as such. You're more than qualified and definitely have the passion.

Hope this helps, drop me a message if you need more help or have more questions.

Hey thank-you very much for your detailed reply and encouraging comments. Congratulations for your placement at Newcastle, that is really brilliant! Okay from what it sounds like I'm doing enough so maybe I will do something less demanding than Gold DofE which also demonstrates my ability to work in a team etc.
Reply 3
Original post by mayhs98
Hey thank-you very much for your detailed reply and encouraging comments. Congratulations for your placement at Newcastle, that is really brilliant! Okay from what it sounds like I'm doing enough so maybe I will do something less demanding than Gold DofE which also demonstrates my ability to work in a team etc.

No problem, always willing to share my experiences, I know what its like trying to dig out advice and info on these things haha.

You will pick up a lot of examples in your work experience placements and young enterprise, and will most likely already have many from your volunteer work and Silver DofE.

Just remember to read ANYTHING they sent to you info and document wise if you get an interview. I remember they sent us a kind of sheet on things to prepare for the interview day and it helped a lot when preparing examples. They like to know how you resolve problems, so questions like "Give me an example of a time when you came across a problem and solved it as a team" etc, very similar questions but all phrased slightly differently. Any experiences you have, note down for future reference.

Obviously I'm getting ahead of myself and you'll have to wait to go through the process and this advice is early but its just being prepared and getting your mind working. In my interview i spoke solely about my work experience, young enterprise and world challenge.
Reply 4
Original post by KForshaw
No problem, always willing to share my experiences, I know what its like trying to dig out advice and info on these things haha.

You will pick up a lot of examples in your work experience placements and young enterprise, and will most likely already have many from your volunteer work and Silver DofE.

Just remember to read ANYTHING they sent to you info and document wise if you get an interview. I remember they sent us a kind of sheet on things to prepare for the interview day and it helped a lot when preparing examples. They like to know how you resolve problems, so questions like "Give me an example of a time when you came across a problem and solved it as a team" etc, very similar questions but all phrased slightly differently. Any experiences you have, note down for future reference.

Obviously I'm getting ahead of myself and you'll have to wait to go through the process and this advice is early but its just being prepared and getting your mind working. In my interview i spoke solely about my work experience, young enterprise and world challenge.

That's very good thanks, I'll definitely take all the advice you have given me on board. One thing which I am worried about though, is my GCSE results. I did not get the best results with 5B 4C 1A and it certainly isn't a true reflection of my academic abilities. Do you think these results will hold me back at all? What I am planning to do to make up for these results is achieve a good set of AS Levels so that I can mention them on my UCAS application and then they can see my academic potential.
Reply 5
Original post by mayhs98
That's very good thanks, I'll definitely take all the advice you have given me on board. One thing which I am worried about though, is my GCSE results. I did not get the best results with 5B 4C 1A and it certainly isn't a true reflection of my academic abilities. Do you think these results will hold me back at all? What I am planning to do to make up for these results is achieve a good set of AS Levels so that I can mention them on my UCAS application and then they can see my academic potential.

Smash your AS Levels and you should be in with a chance. I did well at GCSE and got AS levels that were slightly below the cut (ABBC) but still got an offer. I think the key is showing that you're well rounded and dedicated. They can tell if you are willing to learn and are committed enough to do the course and do it well. Just because you weren't motivated at 16, doesn't mean you won't be at 18, and also doesn't mean you can't smash your AS levels at 17, if you know what I'm saying. And PwC know that, so they take more than just GCSE's into account. AS levels are probably more important especially when put along side your work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending