The Student Room Group

Would you ever get married whilst still at uni? And why/why not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FatimaHere
Haha, yeah I guess. xD
Or, when I come home after saving someone's life or changing it for the better, however small that change/ improvement is. :wink:
That would be awesome- those things combined, however, even better I guess haha. XD

Haha. Are surgeons guaranteed a job after uni?
It would be horrible to waste all those years and then be unemployed!!!
Original post by Secretnerd123
Haha. Are surgeons guaranteed a job after uni?
It would be horrible to waste all those years and then be unemployed!!!

In the UK, pretty much, so I should be fine. :3
Yeah, so glad it's not like that here!
Nope. Res ipsa loquitor.
I got married just before my second year and my husband was in his final year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeavyTeddy
To be honest, I'd prefer it. Marriage is probably better when couples are relatively care-free (and you are as a student); once you settle, have financial responsibilties, a job, children, you're stuck in the 'routine' and those things take up all your attention. That and I'd prefer to marry when I'm financially undesirable just to be sure I've found someone who is going to stick with me whether I'm successful or not. Personally, the "I'm young" argument doesn't really apply to me since I don't do nor am I going to do the things people normally associate with those arguments anyway, if you catch my drift.

Was just saying this to my husband 5 mins ago. Soo true!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
I got married when we were both at university. She was a finalist, I was 2nd year.

Still around.
If I were to commute to Uni, I would get married. However, if I lived on campus I would just get engaged.
Reply 67
I got engaged at the beginning of my gap year and married the summer just before uni :P Really helped me to feel settled
Nah, don't see the point in marrying that young.
Reply 69
There was no point 'waiting for the right person' as they were standing right in front of me.
I'm on a 6 year course :tongue: So probably wouldn't mind if I was married/engaged in my 6th year but tbh I doubt that would happen in reality
I dont think Id propose but maybe Id accept a proposal if it was the right person....
Reply 72
Please don't do it, I am telling you it will give you a really bad time in your life because while you are in uni you might probably have to spend most of your time in University depend on the intense of the course you doing so please dont ..
Original post by jji456
Please don't do it, I am telling you it will give you a really bad time in your life because while you are in uni you might probably have to spend most of your time in University depend on the intense of the course you doing so please dont ..

Not necessarily true.
Reply 74
With all respect to those who do, hell no. Getting married is a huge thing and there are more important things to focus on for me. I wouldn't want to get married until at least mid 20s or later, depending on what my goals are at that time. I may be happy to settle, I may want to focus on my career or any other education I may be doing.
If I found someone special then maybe getting engaged at/after graduation. But not married/engaged during uni.
Reply 76
Original post by donutaud15
Not necessarily true.

It happened in my case I am in the final year now thank god I couldn't explain the stress I have gone through.
Original post by jji456
It happened in my case I am in the final year now thank god I couldn't explain the stress I have gone through.

I was also married during uni but I'm guessing my experience was a bit different to you. That's why I said not necessarily true. It depends on the person.
Nah not a massive fan of concept of marriage. Maybe something to do in 40s rather than 20s
Reply 79
Original post by Vixen47
Definitely! I wanna get married at the end of next year if my boyfriend is still my boyfriend and if he agrees. He's already brought up the subject a lot of times and has made it clear that he wants to marry me, so unless we break up or my family decide to act like *****, I don't see why it can't happen. At first I thought I wanted to wait until uni ends because it might be a little stressful, but now I just wanna get out of my house as soon as I can. This time next year I'll be in my my second year of uni, but that doesn't bother me. I imagine I'd do better living with him than I would living with my family because I'll get more space and time to focus on my education. My family never cared about my education. All them became successful without their education so, in their opinion, as long as I get some kind of a pass grade I'll be fine. I hate that.

I imagine boyfriend would prefer it to happen sooner rather than later. I want it sooner just because I can't stand my family anymore. They treat my ****ing cousins like family where they treat me like a stranger. It's like I have no place here so I figure I might as well escape while I can.

Being in uni doesn't bother me. If I need to then I can go part time for a semester until I settle in to this "new life" or whatever you call it. The whole wedding aspect and that stresa wouldn't bother me because boyfriend and I don't want a wedding at all, but my family would want *something* so they can deal with that because they're the ones who want it! :tongue:

Ultimately, marriage has been something I've wanted forever. I always wanted to get married early so I'm more than happy do it while I'm in uni. Uni is really flexible so I'm happy to go part time for a semester if I need to settle in or whatever, but I don't think I would.

Hi Vixen, did you end up getting married then? 😊

Quick Reply

Latest