The Student Room Group
Reply 1
the way i found out about everything was through prospectuses. you just order from from the uni's website. and then they send them to you free of charge (takes about 2 weeks at the longest for from living in europe). or alternatively you can browse through everything online. i never called or emailed the unis. another very very very useful thing is to go and visit them if you have a chance. first of all choose about 10 or so which you are intersted in and then go to some of them. you are bound to filter our 3-4. if you need any further advice on applications to uk, feel free to ask me :wink: went through all of that last year
Reply 2
ucas website might not have the complete or updated information.
and if you want to apply UK unis then u need to get a move on with applications. oxbridge has to be in by 15october, and courses fill up quite quick so get it in as soon as possible (even if u not oxbridge) :p: i believe ur applying for econoimcs? so yeah i have loads of different prospectuses for good econ unis in the UK if you can't find anything on the site i can check the books for you :biggrin:
Reply 4
hehe andy I know, it starts to stress me this with applying to Cambridge... I think I'll email them during weekend and then send in applications before the 15th. Well I'm giving it a go, not likely to get in I guess...
Reply 5
it doesn't matter whether you apply late or early as long as it is before the deadline. it is not on first come first serve basis. each application is evaluated individually, so if yours is very weak, applying early won't do you anything. i mean... i received over half of my answers wayyyyyy after 15th of january coz the unis waited until they get all applications, and then do all of them in one go. that is not the case with all the unis, but even then the date you apply won't make much difference.
courses do fil up if a uni has enough decent applicants the course will fill, we have assemblies on this just to pass the time of day, im actually unsure whether my head of year knows any words besides UCAS application and CAS horus
Reply 7
i know that ucas recommends to apply yearly... but in the end it won't make that much difference. and i really doubt that courses just fill in and then stop accepting applicants BEFORE the deadline. i applied one of the first from my grade and that didn't help me. i got my answers after the deadline anyway.
Reply 8
hic_et_ubique
my advice: apply early and get it out of your way. your senior year is going to be filled with enough IB deadlines as it is, might as well get a few uni offers to lighten those hard, winter nights studying organic chemistry... :biggrin:

totally agree!!! in september you don't manage to get as busy yet, so use your time wisely! about ucl, it's curious, but they were the 2nd to answer me (in december, i think... and i applied for economics). with me, thanks warwick. got their answer in may! a day before my exams started :wink:
Well in Singapore our schedule is different. We do the exams in november. Then the guys proceed for 2 years of national service. So when should i apply? Before or after my NS?
Reply 10
hic_et_ubique
lol 1st may? what a pleasant way to start the IB exams- an offer from warwick!:biggrin:

offer from warwick? haha... i wish... REJECTION!... though after i got my ib results i managed to get in anyway :p:
Reply 11
I have a year and a half left but I'm all stressed out about these things already... Just seems like such a jungle!
well rawking punkster, i'm applying before.
:O i got into warwick on clearing...and im sure ur sig had grades in it before, wat was ur predicted and final points?
Reply 14
hic_et_ubique
at least they learnt what they were gonna miss out on! and you showed 'em girl, you showed 'em :wink:

yay! :biggrin:

op, wouldn't it be a better idea to apply for unis after your grades come in i.e. midway through national service if that is possible?

i think that's what they are going to do. ucas will soon be changing the system so that we apply after we get the results. i am not entirely sure on the details, but that's what my school chancellor told. about... about time. coz, the system is crap! as long as you don't have anything unusual with you application, that's fine. but once your case becomes "special" then it's impossible to deal with those bastards efficiently. i got official acceptance to warwick 2 months after i was offered the place. thanks to ucas and it's rediculous bureaucracy

Latest

Trending

Trending