The Student Room Group

Cross-country LDR - Can it work?!

Wondering if anyone here has experience of having a very LDR? Thinking about starting one with an American girl i've really fallen for (though we haven't seen each other for a few months) and obviously I don't want to get married or anything like that while I'm still at uni.

Is it worth a try? :colondollar: I guess we could visit each other once/maybe twice a year? :s-smilie: So difficult.
It's worth a try although it will be very hard, id say give it a go. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
I'm in one, it can work, it's not easy but you know that already. Is it worth it? For the right person, yes, it totally is. You'll still have issues and silly fights occasionally but in the end, you know how much it's worth it when you get to be with them. So little will mean so much to you. Of course some (maybe even most) couldn't handle it for long but I've gone 2 years with my guy so far and we're still just as determined to work on being together. If only immigration was so simple.
If you really like her, it's worth giving it a try right?
Good luck and don't worry about what others in real life may say against it, if it works for you then that's all you need.
Reply 3
Original post by _Nyx_
I'm in one, it can work, it's not easy but you know that already. Is it worth it? For the right person, yes, it totally is. You'll still have issues and silly fights occasionally but in the end, you know how much it's worth it when you get to be with them. So little will mean so much to you. Of course some (maybe even most) couldn't handle it for long but I've gone 2 years with my guy so far and we're still just as determined to work on being together. If only immigration was so simple.
If you really like her, it's worth giving it a try right?
Good luck and don't worry about what others in real life may say against it, if it works for you then that's all you need.

Thank you very much for such a nice reply. And congratulations, two years is incredible! Do you mind me asking how far away you are? Don't have to say country but roughly number of hours on a flight? Did you meet before when you both lived somewhere, or?

We met in a mutual country we were working in and didn't properly get together then. It's all sort of kicked off today and i'm not really sure how to proceed. Can't really be in a relationship until you have properly dated together, right?

Ahh I need t go visit her asap haha :smile:
Reply 4
I think the best chance of a LDR working is by being in a relationship with that person for some time before the long distance occurs. Ideally you'll have passed the honey moon stage.
Starting your relationship as long distance is going to be much harder.
My advice to you in this particular case would be to stay friends with her. Don't be in a relationship with her. Having such a long distance between you will make it incredibly hard for a relationship to blossom from scratch. New relationships take time and effort, and that's when you're within 50 miles of each other!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Baloney
I think the best chance of a LDR working is by being in a relationship with that person for some time before the long distance occurs. Ideally you'll have passed the honey moon stage.
Starting your relationship as long distance is going to be much harder.
My advice to you in this particular case would be to stay friends with her. Don't be in a relationship with her. Having such a long distance between you will make it incredibly hard for a relationship to blossom from scratch. New relationships take time and effort, and that's when you're within 50 miles of each other!

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK, I think that sounds like the sensible option. If I arrange a visit I guess I can go as a friend and then see what happens!
Reply 6
We're a five hours flight away, so yeah, it's difficult but I honestly think that if you do love and care about someone enough then you will make it happen. We met through friends and then when he went back to his home country, we continued talking and it went from there. Planning on seeing him again this December actually :smile: I find it's easier if you plan the next holiday as early as you can, no matter how long away it is. Even 6 months gives you something to look forward to and gets you through the times when you miss them so much.

One thing you will both need is to communicate frequently though, and that may frustrate you. All words but no touch. But it is so important, as without talking, distance grows a lot quicker than it would for a real life couple. There are ways if you're not always keen on talking much together, me and my bf used to watch tv shows together while voice chatting and still play games together. These help you not to run out of things to talk about - which you most certainly will at some points.

You don't really need dates to start it off actually, with mine we didn't have time to before he was gone, but it still happened. I do wish you good luck and I hope it works out for you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by _Nyx_
We're a five hours flight away, so yeah, it's difficult but I honestly think that if you do love and care about someone enough then you will make it happen. We met through friends and then when he went back to his home country, we continued talking and it went from there. Planning on seeing him again this December actually :smile: I find it's easier if you plan the next holiday as early as you can, no matter how long away it is. Even 6 months gives you something to look forward to and gets you through the times when you miss them so much.

One thing you will both need is to communicate frequently though, and that may frustrate you. All words but no touch. But it is so important, as without talking, distance grows a lot quicker than it would for a real life couple. There are ways if you're not always keen on talking much together, me and my bf used to watch tv shows together while voice chatting and still play games together. These help you not to run out of things to talk about - which you most certainly will at some points.

You don't really need dates to start it off actually, with mine we didn't have time to before he was gone, but it still happened. I do wish you good luck and I hope it works out for you :smile:

Wow, really? That's cool. Not sure if suggesting a LDR at the moment would go down well or not haha, so just gonna play it cool and talk more for now. See where it leads :smile:
Thanks again!
Reply 8
Original post by _Nyx_

Sorry, another question! How do you deal with telling friends and family about it? Do you? Are they supportive of it ? Can imagine my parents being like what the heck lol.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Wondering if anyone here has experience of having a very LDR? Thinking about starting one with an American girl i've really fallen for (though we haven't seen each other for a few months) and obviously I don't want to get married or anything like that while I'm still at uni.

Is it worth a try? :colondollar: I guess we could visit each other once/maybe twice a year? :s-smilie: So difficult.

Tinder / Omegle relationships don't end well.
Original post by Enoxial
Tinder / Omegle relationships don't end well.

Umm if you read the initial post, it isn't one of those..We met in person in a country we were both working in. :rolleyes:
Umm if you read the initial post, it isn't one of those..We met in person in a country we were both working in. :rolleyes:

Saw that after posting and was unable to del the post.

LDRs only work in the long term if there's a feasible end point. Can you see yourself eventually moving to the US to live with her, or is she willing to move to the UK for you? Remember that it's not always just a case of packing your things and moving, as you may have to obtain a visa. If one or both of you can realistically see yourself moving to a different country to study or work, then definitely give it a shot. I know it's heavy but you should probably talk about this with her, as it's a big commitment and it will be much easier for both of you if you know what you're working towards.
Original post by ailashes
LDRs only work in the long term if there's a feasible end point. Can you see yourself eventually moving to the US to live with her, or is she willing to move to the UK for you? Remember that it's not always just a case of packing your things and moving, as you may have to obtain a visa. If one or both of you can realistically see yourself moving to a different country to study or work, then definitely give it a shot. I know it's heavy but you should probably talk about this with her, as it's a big commitment and it will be much easier for both of you if you know what you're working towards.

Thanks for your input.

Well at the moment we haven't discussed anything as serious as this (though she says she is determined to move to the UK, which is promising). I think it IS a realistic option for her to come here, but much harder for me to go there because of my career choice (not easy to transfer to US).

I'll have a think about discussing it more, though don't want to freak her out haha! Do you have experience with this yourself?
Thanks for your input.

Well at the moment we haven't discussed anything as serious as this (though she says she is determined to move to the UK, which is promising). I think it IS a realistic option for her to come here, but much harder for me to go there because of my career choice (not easy to transfer to US).

I'll have a think about discussing it more, though don't want to freak her out haha! Do you have experience with this yourself?

It's great that she seems determined to move to the UK. I understand that it's a very serious topic but I think it will benefit you both to know what you're expecting from each other. Seeing as she is thinking of moving anyway, I think you could bring up the topic safely without scaring her away or anything like that. Good luck, whatever you decide to do. :smile:

Not exactly. I am in a cross country LDR (I'm in Russia, my boyfriend's in the UK), but we lived in the same city for a year first. We both ultimately aim to live together and that helps so much, as I know that investing so much time and effort will be worth it.

Check out the stickied LDR thread in this forum if you fancy more advice and perspectives as there are plenty of people going through the same thing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending