The Student Room Group

Another "global" ranking.

Reply 1
Anyone?
Of course, the "better" a uni is at teaching some course the harder it is to actually get into that uni to study said course
Reply 3
Manchester dont really deserve the spot for CompSci, neither do Kings. I mean yes Alan Turing invented the Turing Machine while he was there. But come on their entry standard is only AAB, same goes for KCL. Really a 'B'?
Reply 4
Original post by indieguy
Manchester dont really deserve the spot for CompSci, neither do Kings. I mean yes Alan Turing invented the Turing Machine while he was there. But come on their entry standard is only AAB, same goes for KCL. Really a 'B'?

Entry requirements don't give the full picture. Successful applicants to Oxbridge/Imperial will have greater grades than the entry, and likewise at those universities successful applicants may have greater grades than the typical offer. Also, not every course is as mathematical so does not need great aptitude just dedication, yet can still provide a useful degree for future career prospects.

Not if you're doing an MEng, you have to get A*AA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yeah but isn't it odd that King's and Manchester did very well in global ranking but not so much on national ranking
Yeah but isn't it odd that King's and Manchester did very well in global ranking but not so much on national ranking

I think it's the differences in the metrics and methodology used in national vs. international rankings.
Reply 8

They usually base it on employers reputation, global reputation and internationalism.
Reply 9
Original post by Frank the Tankk
I think it's the differences in the metrics and methodology used in national vs. international rankings.

How do they take out reports of students satisfaction? Sometimes I really think they are flawed.
I wish universities were the same and gave students the same level of education instead of being ranked :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Yeah dude
I wish universities were the same and gave students the same level of education instead of being ranked :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The world is becoming more competitive day by day. Every university wants to be highly ranked in league tables.

Its just that good teachers are being hired by rich institutions and things are getting complicated. Few universities are improving their rank while few are detoriating.
Original post by NerdyMeg
How do they take out reports of students satisfaction? Sometimes I really think they are flawed.

They pretty much don't...international tables will place weight on a university's research output. Number of citations, volume of research, quality of research and reputation with employers. As opposed to, for example, the Guardian League Table which places a lot of weight on student satisfaction.

For example, King's College London came 40th in the UK on the Guardian table but 16th internationally in the QS World Rankings.
Reply 13
Original post by Frank the Tankk
They pretty much don't...international tables will place weight on a university's research output. Number of citations, volume of research, quality of research and reputation with employers. As opposed to, for example, the Guardian League Table which places a lot of weight on student satisfaction.

For example, King's College London came 40th in the UK on the Guardian table but 16th internationally in the QS World Rankings.

This whole ranking thing makes me confused. I'll rather choose a uni which is best suited for me.
Reply 14

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending